Who had the greatest influence on your playing style?

zachoff

• Members

As in when you play, does your style sound reminiscent of anyone?

I figure Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction) and Sergio Vega (Quicksand) are probably who I most sound like if I'm writing/playing my own songs... Simple and driving spotted with a bit of melody. :thu:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a drummer, turned songwriter, I appreciate the role that the bass guitar plays in a recorded composition. Although, I really appreciate all of those nameless bass players who played to the song and didn't get in the way. That's how I try and play when I record my own tunes.

My all-time favorite is Mel Schacher from Grand Funk. He is the most underrated 'Bass Badass' of all-time.

[YOUTUBE]<object

• Members

Grand Funk is one of my dad's favorite bands & I grew up on those guys. Mel rules for sure, and the cool thing about him is he played to the song but his lines were far from simple.

Listen to this! Absolutley far out bass!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Respect.

• Members

Well I don't know that any particular bassist influenced my style...mostly cause I'm not that good yet (getting better every day though), but two of my biggest inspirations for taking up bass are Rob Derhak from moe. and the bass player from Yoko Kanno's Seatbelts

• Members

Proabably Duff. I started playing bass right around the time Appetite for Destruction dropped, so my first connections with bass and music were there. I don't play with a pick, but his style of filling out a bassline is definitely how I try to shape my playing.

• Members

I'm new to bass(guitar guy who wants to learn) but my favorite players/stuff i want to learn would be Geddy Lee,Steve Harris,Blacky(Voivod-if you never heard of them I recommend the Nothingface album as a good starter),Cliff Burton,Matt Freeman. The list is longer but hey its early.

• Members

Stefan Lessard (DMB) and Jeremy Plato (Cross Canadian Ragweed)

The older I get, the more I see/hear it.

I pretty much tried to be Fonzie when I was in my original 3 piece, and some of that carries over now, and I get my fills/licks from all the stuff I've seen/heard Jeremy do over the years. He's part country, part southern rock'n'roll, so it fits widely.

• Members

Jerry Flowers who is the bassist for Keith Urban.

I was wondering who their current guy was.

I know the guy Robbie who plays w/ Dierks used to be the bandleader for Keith just couldn't remember when he switched.

• Members

I was wondering who their current guy was.

I know the guy Robbie who plays w/ Dierks used to be the bandleader for Keith just couldn't remember when he switched.

Robbie's awesome!!! Jerry is a cool dude. When we opened for Keith Urban last summer, I got to hang with Jerry for alittle while. Awesome guy.

• Members

Robbie's awesome!!!

I've liked Dierks, and I'm sure they used a studio cat to do his tracking, but I remember seeing them live and I was like "Whoa, ok. Your 'average' country cat doesn't rock a FULL Mesa back line and have a pedalboard twice the size of mine featuring a wah and a Phase 90!"

Then I looked him up and saw he's a Steve Vai alum and has tons of credit to his name. Definitely moved him up in my book. :cool:

Archived