Airline prices... how does THAT work???

ec437

• Members

How is its cheaper (or was anyway) for me to buy a return flight to Tokyo, than it is for someone in Tokyo to buy a return flight to Australia...

Fuel costs and, as I understand it, landing fees are different from airport to airport. If you fly into an expensive airport, you pay more.

Again, as I understand it, I think that if you fly into an airport that the airline uses as a "hub", you'll pay less.

C7

• Members

My wife and two of my kids are flying out in April. Lufthansa when booked from startring from Germany had a great deal at $500 r/t. When you book from starting from the US the prices jumps to over $1400 r/t. Same flights, same seats.

There is no ryhme or reason to airline prices, just whatever they can get away with. So it's Iceland air for the family this time around.

• Members

My wife and two of my kids are flying out in April. Lufthansa when booked from startring from Germany had a great deal at $500 r/t. When you book from starting from the US the prices jumps to over $1400 r/t. Same flights, same seats.

There is no ryhme or reason to airline prices, just whatever they can get away with. So it's Iceland air for the family this time around.

Werd. I booked a flight from Fort Wayne, IN to Seattle with a layover in O'Hare and it was significantly cheaper than flying the direct flight from O'Hare to Seattle. Somehow the extra 1/2 hour in the air from Ft. Wayne to Chicago decreased the cost a couple hundred bucks.

:idk:

• Members

We're leaving for Hawaii next week and, when were were buying the plane tickets, I checked Farecast.com each morning to see where the rates were. When they lowered, I called our travel agent and booked our flights, saving us a ton of cash. Flight prices change pretty dramatically, sometimes even from day to day.

• Members

We're leaving for Hawaii next week and, when were were buying the plane tickets, I checked
each morning to see where the rates were. When they lowered, I called our travel agent and booked our flights, saving us a ton of cash. Flight prices change pretty dramatically, sometimes even from day to day.

They change minute to minute in my experience. My wife and I were booking a trip to Tucson and I checked tix prices and they were $144 a piece. I called my wife and between the time I saw the $144 price and the time she called me back (.5 hour maybe), the price had gone up $10 or $20. When I finally bought the tix they were closer to $200. Still a good deal, but it was amazing to watch the price change so quickly.

• Members

How is its cheaper (or was anyway) for me to buy a return flight to Tokyo, than it is for someone in Tokyo to buy a return flight to Australia...

How is it cheaper to charter a limo to drive me from my house down to the airport in Buffalo about 3.5 hours away and across a border, then hop a plane to Seattle, then charter another limo 3.5 more hours back across the border to my friends house in Vancouver than it is to fly direct from Toronto to Vancouver only?

I have never been able to make sense of that one.

Better yet, I can buy a return ticket to Mexico and get 6 nights all inclusive in a resort for about $50 less than the same return flight from Toronto to Vancouver only.

• Members

There's some logic to it with demand and availability and all that, but darned if I understand it. For example, my girlfriend flew to New York City from Minneapolis. A direct flight was over $700. She paid $260 for a ticket that flew her first to Atlanta, then to New York.

Another friend wanted to fly from Minneapolis to Detroit. As the crow flies, that's not a very long distance at all. The only affordable plane ticket she could find was one that took her from Minneapolis to Detroit, via Orlando. It seems crazy to fly all the way down to Florida from Minnesota, then all the back up to Michigan. Oh well.

• Members

Better yet, I can buy a return ticket to Mexico and get 6 nights all inclusive in a resort for about $50 less than the same return flight from Toronto to Vancouver only.

This reminds me of the time I was looking to get a one-way ticket from Bay Area California to New England. At the time it was cheaper to fly round trip to Germany than it was to go one-way to the eastern seaboard.

• Members

There's some logic to it with demand and availability and all that, but darned if I understand it. For example, my girlfriend flew to New York City from Minneapolis. A direct flight was over $700. She paid $260 for a ticket that flew her first to Atlanta, then to New York.

Another friend wanted to fly from Minneapolis to Detroit. As the crow flies, that's not a very long distance at all. The only affordable plane ticket she could find was one that took her from Minneapolis to Detroit,
via Orlando
. It seems crazy to fly all the way down to Florida from Minnesota, then all the back up to Michigan. Oh well.

Well, they figure it they won't be filling those seats anyways, then they'll sell 'em to someone that can't shell over the dough for better connections.

Whatever, my time isn't worth very much. More free peanuts and air miles for me:idea:

• Members

This reminds me of the time I was looking to get a one-way ticket from Bay Area California to New England. At the time it was cheaper to fly round trip to Germany than it was to go one-way to the eastern seaboard.

Oh tell me about it. It's a 4 1/2 hour flight from here to Vancouver. Not sure how long it is to Mexico, but I bet it's longer.

I think London England is a 6-7 hour flight from here. A coworker went there last year, he paid $150 for a return ticket across the Atlantic when I paid $700 to cross this country around the same time.

• Members

I am beginning to watch flights to London. They took a small dip and are in the $500 range r/t. I'm excited about that. Saved $800 from my tax return to buy one, so that'll save me some cash i can use on my trip.

Hit up travelzoo.com. A coworker got a deal on a return transatlantic flight there for $150.

Archived