Attention Sears Gold MasterCard Cardholders!

der oxenrig

• Members

Is that a Canadian thing? I know people who went through personal bankruptcy and had credit cards 2 years after the judgement.

Can't you get another card from another bank?

No, I can't... yet. Working on the other card angle soon.

It could be a Canadian thing, most likely is, though I don't really know. Funny thing is, I have honestly considered bankruptcy over this even though the debt is (now) not too terrible (~$4k).

Many people have told me all about someone they know that declared and were up and running within a few years. Most debts are erased, interest is frozen on those that aren't. Where I have to keep paying 27% until it's paid off entirely, then start a 7 year clock to get back on track. I will likely get my situation back on track faster by declaring bankruptcy than actually paying off my debts. :facepalm:

• CMS Author

No, I can't... yet. Working on the other card angle soon.

It could be a Canadian thing, most likely is, though I don't really know. Funny thing is, I have honestly considered bankruptcy over this even though the debt is (now) not too terrible (~$4k).

Many people have told me all about someone they know that declared and were up and running within a few years. Most debts are erased, interest is frozen on those that aren't. Where I have to keep paying 27% until it's paid off entirely,
then
start a 7 year clock to get back on track. I will likely get my situation back on track faster by declaring bankruptcy than actually paying off my debts.
:facepalm:

Since you're in Canada I have no idea what your personal bankruptcy laws are like, but they became stricter in the US a few years ago...today it's much more difficult, and would really not be worthwhile for that amount of debt...it'll cost you much more in legal fees here in the states. But perhaps in Canada it makes sense.

I suggest you contact an attorney about your situation. Something doesn't sound right about this bank, and indeed, the 27% gouging and 7 year "waiting" thing doesn't sound right.

• Members

I suggest you contact an attorney about your situation. Something doesn't sound right about this bank, and indeed, the 27% gouging and 7 year "waiting" thing doesn't sound right.

In the process of doing the Bankruptcy homework now. Odds are it won't favour me, but I am looking into it all the same.

I've been told the exact same thing by 3 reps at 2 banks now. There's a little more detail to it all that I don't care to share here, but the basic gist and end results of it all is what I've explained.

I was told flat out that I will never get a debt reconcilliation loan (the thing I was there looking into to start), a credit card, a car loan, a.... anything involving the loaning of money to me for another 7 years still. I can go to private places that specialize in such things ("High risk" loans), but then I am paying a ton more on interest and such, and in most cases they want you to own a car as collateral and already have declared bunkruptcy to qualify.

• Members

Wells Fargo? Did a quick check and says that they charge 2%, still better than most...

I don't recall ever seeing any international transaction charges on it, and that's all I use it for. The reason I got it, actually.

To be clear, I'm talking about the CC, not the debit card.

• Members

I just closed my GC card. Close behind is my AmEx, then I'll be down to one credit card from my credit union, whose rate has never gone up.

Yeah you take a hit on your FICO but a) it will recover over time b) the hit is hardest with accounts you have owned over a long time, so the short ones aren't as bad.

Credit cards are evil and I am working towards zero debt and only one card.

• Members

I don't recall ever seeing any international transaction charges on it, and that's all I use it for. The reason I got it, actually.

To be clear, I'm talking about the CC, not the debit card.

Might want to double check that before you travel again:

http://www.cardratings.com/creditcardnews/2009/02/credit-card-foreign-transaction-fees.html

I remember reading that some companies do not put the fee on your statement, but rather include it in the total transaction price.

Regardless if you've used in the past and didn't feel you were charged too much I would worry. Wells Fargo may offer better exchange rates than most...

• Members

I was complaining about this crap a month or 2 ago . Chase raised my monthly charge ( based on interest ) + a $10 fee ? Well this month it's back to normal and they refunded the additional fees . Do you think they are being pressured or have determined it may be illegal ?

• Members

If he never leaves a balance on it, he has no reason to be afraid
;)

Correct. If I did leave a balance on it I'd likely have been aware before now that my card that previously had a 5% interest rate is 12% now! :eek:

Part of me doesn't give a {censored} since I pay it off, and the other half of me is kind of pissed. :mad: I can't think of any reason for it. On the bright side, I've had very good success with Chase's CS before. Maybe I'll call and tell them if they don't lower it back I'm going elsewhere, but I have all my non-savings bank business through chase for 10 years. I've had this card for 15 years! I got it when I was in high school.

• Members

I just opened my Sears Gold Mastercard statement, and:

buttsecks_02.jpg

Citibank had nearly
doubled
my interest rate from 11.49% to a whopping 21.99%! Needless to say, I was pissed. I have never missed a payment, always pay on time (and usually pay off most, if not all of the balance when possible). So I called them, and they said that because the Federal Reserve is {censored}ing everything up, they have to raise interest rates. But
double?
:facepalm:
I don't {censored}ing think so. Eventually, I argued with them enough, and got them to lower it down to 13.24%, but the fact that they nearly doubled it has me
extremely
pissed off.
:mad:

What they are doing to you is quite common.

I read an interesting article the other day about how banks can and will do this.

First and most important point I got from this; don't use credit cards, especially from the department stores.

The second is that these banks keep track of your credit history and if you were late on any other bill, they find out about it and will riase your rates even if you've made all your credit card payments on time.

We dumped all our cards last year except one and that one we keep at a low or 0 balance. FTW. :thu:

• Members

The second is that these banks keep track of your credit history and if you were late on any other bill, they find out about it and will riase your rates even if you've made all your credit card payments on time.

I think that should be made illegal.

• Members

not all banks do it... I forget what it is called but know that Chase doesn't do it.

Credit cards can be great, if you use them as cash. I never buy anything with a credit card unless the money is in my bank account (well there was a couple of times that the money wasn't going to be there for another week, but that still left my plenty of time before the bill would be due). I also pay off my full bill every month. In about 2 years I have built from no credit history to close to 700. Plus a couple of times a year they give me $25 for spending what I would have spent anyways!

• Members

Can't say that I disagree with that sentiment.

However, right or wrong the bank calls it risk management. They want to know your history so they know they are going to get paid. Most banks do this.

• Members

Basically, you're paying to use your own money. Do without them if you can.

If you don't carry a balance, you don't pay anything.

That said, with visa check cards and mastercard debit, you can use a debit card in 99% of the places you can use a credit card.

• Members

Credit card free for 10 years now!

WooHoo!!! Congrats! Life is so much better that way. :thu:

I have one crappy Juniper card that the Apple people sent me but it has a $250 limit, is for emergencies only, and gets paid off every two weeks on payday. (I also financed some living room furniture, but it is getting paid off with no interest before the year is up.) Life is good being (almost) debt free... :lol:

Archived