From Guitar to Bass

Firelavasauce

• Members

So I want to start playing bass. Is it wrong to approach it as a guitar player or should I just forget everything and start learning all over again. I don't know which bass to get. I'm thinking of a Fender American Jazz or something Fender, I loved the ones I have played, and my bass player uses them. I asked him about learning the bass and he stared at me and walked off. So any amps, effects, songs, books anything that could help. I already know 2 octave majorminor scales on the EADG strings and "Black Bird" and "Portrait of Tracy" so anything I could build off of those would help. I don't know if I'll ever be cool enough to be a real bass player though. :)

• Members

Forget all you have learned and start over...you will be better off. The biggest problem a lot of guitar players have is that they pick up a bass and start playing it like a guitar...this is not a good thing.

Get a bass that suits you, a small practice amp, a metronome and start learning to groove. :thu:

• Members

As long as it is rythum conscious and stessing the grove, guitar stuff on bass is fine irregardless of what anyone says. Does it sound good? Is main thing. Folks like Jonas Hellborg who played in tours with John Mclaughlin often doubled johns guitar parts and became famous for groovy bass stuff that also had good amount of guitar playing elements. Most famous bass players incorporated guitar stuff in their bass playing. Wether talking about Chriss Squire, Stanley Clark, John Entwistle, Jonas Hellborg, or just about any other bass player whose become very highly regarded for innovative well liked playing.

When I first started out and was playing atv lackland AF bass thru the rec clubs rigs I was able to do ted nugent style feedback stuff easy and did. LOL. Great fun and folks often liked it.

But main thing with bass is the groove. So keep that in mind. Rythum guitar players might choose to orient toward the notes in power chords for a song kinda like Lemmy K of Moterhead does. As animal and filfthy have said, Lemmys basically a rythum guitar player useing a bass. Lol.

Too many bass players want to keep themself locked in a small restrictive little box for whats allowed.

If it goes with the rest of the music being played by rest of the band, and listeners like it and get up and dance, thats what counts. Of course the more out there genres of music: Prog, metal, jazz, electronica, experimental, and ambient will be more open to more complex and melodic rythmic bass playing. Whereas basic pop rock and country wont be so keen on bass player doing more then root notes.

• Members

dont play bass with a PICK

This is great advice, especially if you've been playing guitar with a pick for several years. You wouldn't want to use the technique that's most comfortable for you, that would be silly.

This is why I play mandolin fingerstyle, and play keys with my feet.

C7

• Members

So I want to start playing bass. Is it wrong to approach it as a guitar player or should I just forget everything and start learning all over again. I don't know which bass to get. I'm thinking of a Fender American Jazz or something Fender, I loved the ones I have played, and my bass player uses them. I asked him about learning the bass and he stared at me and walked off. So any amps, effects, songs, books anything that could help. I already know 2 octave majorminor scales on the EADG strings and "Black Bird" and "Portrait of Tracy" so anything I could build off of those would help. I don't know if I'll ever be cool enough to be a real bass player though.
:)

I started on guitar 42 years ago, then switched a few years later. The chord knowledge will only help you play bass.

• Members

So I want to start playing bass. Is it wrong to approach it as a guitar player or should I just forget everything and start learning all over again.

I recommend that you do both. Obviously, it's cool that you have skills to play, but it's an entirely different animal that need to be approached in a different way. It's all about groove.

I don't know if I'll ever be cool enough to be a real bass player though.
:)

It's tough man. Us bassist are the coolest musicians out there.

• Members

I have to laugh at the "don't use a pick" snobs - after all, there have been more than a few bassists using picks that have been pretty sucessful over the years... I made the switch from guitar to bass years ago, and by continuing to use a pick, I was playing bass in a really good band in a few weeks - and have always stayed as busy as a bassist as I've wanted to, ever since... As a rock bassist, I don't feel I've held myself back any by using a pick - of course, different genres have different requirements, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

Horse {censored}.

Speed has nothing to do with using a pick or not.

I can keep up with Dragonforce, Slayer, Manticora, Iced Earth... it's about TECHNIQUE. Learn how to pluck with three or all four of your fingers, and you'll be fine. {censored}, my brother's forearm gets sore from all of Jon Shaffer's gallop triplet riffs, but for me it's easy plucking with three fingers.

TECHNIQUE will get you speed. Picks are for guitarists.

• Members

I have to laugh at the "don't use a pick" snobs - after all, there have been more than a few bassists using picks that have been pretty sucessful over the years... I made the switch from guitar to bass years ago, and by continuing to use a pick, I was playing bass in a really good band in a few weeks - and have always stayed as busy as a bassist as I've wanted to, ever since... As a rock bassist, I don't feel I've held myself back any by using a pick - of course, different genres have different requirements, though...

- georgestrings

That's why I mentioned what I did in my post. ;)

Although it's not a speed thing IMO as much a technique and sound thing. And again, by not learning it you only limit yourself if/when that technique is needed or called upon. Ignorance is bliss for some though, it seems... :)

• Members

There's nowhere where it says fingers are the only acceptable method! I use both but I play pick probably 90% of the time.

So which one is correct? Answer.......whatever works for you.......just don't think that you have to choose between one or the other......both are acceptable and correct. :thu:

• Members

Horse {censored}.

Speed has nothing to do with using a pick or not.

I can keep up with Dragonforce, Slayer, Manticora, Iced Earth... it's about TECHNIQUE. Learn how to pluck with three or all four of your fingers, and you'll be fine. {censored}, my brother's forearm gets sore from all of Jon Shaffer's gallop triplet riffs, but for me it's easy plucking with three fingers.

TECHNIQUE will get you speed. Picks are for guitarists.

I'd be willing to bet that I can get a better range of tones with a pick than you can with all of your TECHNIQUES combined.

A REAL bassist is willing to use whatever TECHNIQUE suits him or her best for whatever situation they find themselves in. It's flat out stupid to go into it with an attitude that limits your possibilities and fails to take advantage of your strengths, for no other reason than to fall under someone else's imaginary CORRECT way to do it.

We don't give a {censored} how fast YOU can play with your fingers. This guy is transitioning from guitar to bass and wants advice on how to make a smooth transition. Starting with a pick is such a no-brainer that I can't believe there are people in this thread that missed it.:facepalm:

C7

Archived