A Special Day in a Dad's Life

Thunderbroom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My daughter, who turned 16 a week ago, drove me home from work today.

She only has a couple of hours behind the wheel and has never driven something the size of the minivan. It was both nerve-wracking and exhilarating. She did a fine job!

Good for her! I remember my dad would stop on the dirt road after he turned off the highway to let me or my sister drive home. Good memories :thu:

• Members

The first time my dad let me drive his truck, it was down a winding, 2-lane canyon road with a reputation for accidents (his best friend was actually killed on that road 2 years prior). He sat in the passenger seat and leaned the seat back, and smoked an entire joint to himself. I didn't think I was THAT bad of a driver.:D

C7

• Members

She only has a couple of hours behind the wheel and has never driven something the size of the minivan. It was both nerve-wracking and exhilarating. She did a fine job!

:thu:

I remember the first time out on the road. It was my mom's Suburban. That thing was scary. The next night my dad let me drive the BMW. I think he was crapping his pants :)

• Members

Um...no...*crosses fingers behind back*

When I taught my sister to drive a stickshift, I had only been driving for a couple of years myself, and that instinct was already there.:D

I used to let her drive to school in the mornings. One morning, we were following my best friend into the parking lot, and she confused the brake and the clutch, and rear ended him right in front of a cop. Since it was on school property and both parties agreed it was no big deal, she didn't get a ticket. Of course, she got a ration of {censored} from the 150 or so witnesses.:D

C7

• Members

I remember when my old man taught me how to drive. It was in his Chevy 1500. He got in the passenger side and stuck half of his body out the window and kept screaming, "you're too close to the curb!" repeatedly. I knew other wise.
:rolleyes:
It was the worst half hour ever.

Perfect time for a curb check if you ask me.:D

C7

• Members

Monday I gave my 14 y/o nephew a ride in the 'Vette, and he totally wants to drive it. I'm going to teach him to drive manual in it when he's 16, which will set off my brother to no end.:evil:

I don't have my own kids to teach, but I know the feeling from training my students to fly solo back in the day. Congrats 'Broom!:cool:

• Members

*sings old Alan Jackson song*

:thu:

All three of mine learned with the 5-spd standard stick. It is amusing how many giant football players cannot drive my truck but my (then) teenaged daughter would have to chauffeur them around town.

• Members

I still haven't gotten round to getting my license yet, it's on my list of things to do this year.
:o

It's so much different over there. "L" plates, all kinds of tests and time, etc.

In the US, if you show up to the DMV sober and you have someone with you that can read, they'll give you a driver's license.:D

C7

• Members

It's so much different over there. "L" plates, all kinds of tests and time, etc.

In the US, if you show up to the DMV sober and you have someone with you that can read, they'll give you a driver's license.
:D
C7

In Ohio, you don't even need anyone to read. They just give you headphones and a computer terminal to take the test. :facepalm:

• Members

Next milestone: Deflowering :thu:

j/k, congrats on not having to taxi the kid everywhere!!

Archived