5 or 4 string

Mahumadi

• Members

I am switching over to the bass after a year of guitar playing and am wondering what your opinions are on 4 and 5 strings. I understand the fretboard is wider on a 5 string which would make it difficult changing over to a 5 after learning on a 4. What are your opinions?

• Members

Is that your bass in your avatar?
:eek:

Sorry, Mahumadi. Supa and I are going to hi-jack your thread for a second, but the overall concensus, so far, points to 4 strings.

Hmmph, errh... Yes.

Starfire II with Bi-sonics... and teh infamous "Suckswitch".

:cool:

• Members

5's look more professional.

Says who? Whenever I see someone get up with a 5 string I think "Great, another guy who wants to play guitar".

Ok maybe thats a bit harsh. But i think alot of beginners have trouble using a 5 string well. Id suggest a 4 so he gets some experience writing lines without relying heavily on a b string. But thats just me.

• Members

This is becoming more & more my response to this type of question:

just buy a bass, begin feeling your way and allow your own experience to help guide your future decisions.

A few years ago 6-string basses looked bizarre and wrong, to me. They seemed to only be for solo bassists. And I certainly never expected what I saw last week: professional blues bassists playing 6-string basses.

You can't make a "wrong" decision. Suppose you had the choice of a friend giving you a 6-string, and buying your own 5- or 4-string. Take the 6. Maybe you'll be perfectly happy, maybe not.

You've got to just throw yourself into this and get experienced. Whatever bass you get, it's not likely to be the last bass you'll ever buy in life. You'll get more opportunities to add, subtract, downgrade, upgrade, simplify and add variety.

I've got 4 basses and have owned a total of 6. Don't worry too much about your first bass.

• Members

4 will get you by on most stuff, but if you play a lot of metal or country a fiver might be a bit easier for you so you won't have to jack around with tuning.

If you're starting fresh, I really don't think it's going to matter to you whether you get a 4 or 5.

• Members

I play everything from Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, to Grateful Dead, Guess Who, and all other bad ass classic rock bands. Im into the blues as well, so it seems from the responses that I should be ok with a 4 string, which is what I was wanting to play. thanks for your input!

My guitar teacher insists that I do not need scales and since I had recently changed over to bass, I havent had much lesson time with it yet, so when I jam im kind of searching and just playing major scales.From searching the internet it seems apparent that you should at least know them. I have searched for scales and modes, though I do not know what a mode is, and have come up empty handed. So, long story short, I come to you. What modes/scales might you recommend I begin with and if you have a url to tabluture of said scale, that would be cool as well. thanks for your time, stay groovy.

P.S. Is there a popular internet bass forum with a larger crowd and more info directly related to bass guitar? Not that I dont like this one, but I want to network =)

Archived