OT question for computer guys & gals

dravenzouk

• Members

Recently I was given a database with a bunch of "files" on it. (many of these files will go on my ipod). Now, a LOT of these files have names on them that are written with underlines instead of spaces or punctuation. An example would be as such: This_file_s_name_has_a_bunch_of_underlines. I find this really annoying and confusing. I don't really understand why anyone would do this. I'm told that it's a quirk of some old-school computer nerds, but I still don't get it. So....what's the deal?

Along the same lines: The titles to these "files" are also written in another way that's really a pain. Let's just suppose that some of these files are songs from an album. Well, each of those file titles would have not just the song name, but first the track number, the artist, the album, and the year. So if the file was a song called "Life During Wartime", the actual file name would be "07 - Talking Heads - Talking Heads/Stop Making Sense (Special New Edition) - 1984 - Life During Wartime". * WTF? Why would anybody do this? It makes it really hard to scan through a list to find a certain file, because there would be a bunch of files that all had essentially the same name for about 60 or so characters, and you'd have to scroll through them to see where the actual file that you are looking for is. Especially if you are looking at the list on a window that's been reduced down, or on a small screen (such as an ipod).

* actually it would be written like this:

07_-_Talking Heads_-_Talking_Heads/Stop_Making_Sense_(Special_New_Edition)_-_1984_-_Life_During_Wartime

• Members

I do that.

We share a lot of files over a network here at Really Huge Corp. Instead of emailing the file, we'll put it up on a network drive and send out a link.

If there is a space in the file namd (or folder, director name) it breaks the link.

So If I want to send this link to someone:

\Florida1EngineeringXray_image_files

and be clickable.

It the "_" were not there, it would come up short and be dead.

\Florida1EngineeringXray

• Members

I just came across this yesterday. I always use an underscore instead of a dash in filenames. I was trying to read a file in Matlab, and was having problems. Then I realized my co-worker had used dashes, and it was messing things up. I should write a smarter script.

If it bothers you, you could write yourself a script to rename all the files.

• Members

A lot of systems use spaces as separators, such as Unix and Linux, so an underline or hyphen is used where a space would be. Microsoft allows you to put all kinds of crap in filenames. I once had some files with '&' in them. :facepalm:

Unix/Linux allow things like this:

cp src1 src2 src3 dest

Which copies src1, src2 and src3 to dest.

So if you had this:

cp My File Name With Spaces dest

The system would assume you meant to copy My, File, Name, With and Spaces to dest. Adding underline or hyphen tells the system it's one item. You can also enclose it in double quotes.

• Members

I do that.

We share a lot of files over a network here at Really Huge Corp. Instead of emailing the file, we'll put it up on a network drive and send out a link.

If there is a space in the file namd (or folder, director name) it breaks the link.

So If I want to send this link to someone:

\Florida1EngineeringXray_image_files

and be clickable.

It the "_" were not there, it would come up short and be dead.

\Florida1EngineeringXray

Same here, gotta use underscores in my file names. Makes things easier when you're sending links to people.

I think Winamp used to write Mp3's like that back at version 3 or something. :confused: I'm nearly sure a few other programs did too.

Archived