Donnie Darko question

dravenzouk

• Members

Art doesn't give answers. Science does.
:D

:thu:

Now that I think about it there seem to be a lot more movies that I don't "get" that I would rather watch than anything else.

Give me a head scratcher any day, no matter how off the wall or ridiculous than a tired old cliche that I can figure out within the first five minutes.

• Members

Now that I think about it there seem to be a lot more movies that I don't "get" that I would rather watch than anything else.

Give me a head scratcher any day, no matter how off the wall or ridiculous than a tired old cliche that I can figure out within the first five minutes.

I mostly agree with this. I enjoy having to watch a movie multiple times to fully understand it. At the same time, a movie has to have some type of message/plot/point, and at least the fact that it has that message/plot/point needs to be apparent on the first viewing. It can't just be 2 hours of unconnected randomness.

• Members

I really enjoy David Lynch's movies. I don't expect to ever "get" every aspect of them, but I find something new everytime I watch them. I understand what Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are about - but I believe that the actual plot isn't even the point of the movies. Still completely clueless about "Inland Empire"...but I've only seen it once so far.

• Members

Have any of you seen his second movie Southland Tales? I've only seen it once but I still haven't figured out if I loved it or hated it. The tone of the movie is sooooo weird.....

Hated it. It tried so hard to be hip and cool and all that is a spraypainted "A" with a circle around it. It ended up just being trashy and tasteless. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hated it. It tried so hard to be hip and cool and all that is a spraypainted "A" with a circle around it. It ended up just being trashy and tasteless. YMMV.

Now, I DVR'd it and have watched it twice since. I loved it. I didn't see that "all anarchy all the time" thing. I thought it was a neat possibility to spawn from the situation. If you ask me, the lingo and {censored} is very much accurate and in-line with the premise and generation. Haha.

I've got the graphic novel here too. I'm gonna read it, see how it compares.'

And if DD is on sometime, I'll give it another shot as well.

• Members

I hated Donnie Darko. I mean i really really hated it. About 5 years ago a buddy of mine (who was absolutely gay for it) let me borrow it. I found it unbearable at best.

Fast Forward to last year. I was flipping through On Demand and decided to give it another shot. I sat through the whole thing and ended up with the same conclusion.

I honestly don't understand how Donnie Darko can receive so much praise and a movie like Dark City sits in the dollar bin at Wall-Mart

• Members

It's pretty good.

That link puts way, way too much into the movie from what I got out of it? :idk:

I would like to check out the D.C. though. I've only seen the original version, but it's been a few times.

• Members

I hated Donnie Darko. I mean i really really hated it. About 5 years ago a buddy of mine (who was absolutely gay for it) let me borrow it. I found it unbearable at best.

Fast Forward to last year. I was flipping through On Demand and decided to give it another shot. I sat through the whole thing and ended up with the same conclusion.

I honestly don't understand how Donnie Darko can receive so much praise and a movie like Dark City sits in the dollar bin at Wall-Mart

Wait...

I can get Dark City for a dollar at walmart?

• Members

Wait...

I can get Dark City for a dollar at walmart?

No {censored}. Caught it in the theater and haven't seen it since.

The sequel to DD is out today, S. Darko it's called. It's about his younger sister.

I'll pick it up this weekend most likely.

• Members

Donnie Darko is possibly one of the most {censored}ed up movies in the past 20 years....

Ever seen Mulholland Drive ? I understood it first after I had read an in-depth analysis. And even then many points were quite fuzzy.

But yeah, DD is a great film. I saw the Director's cut a couple of weeks ago (third of fourth time I've seen it), and I must say that it was A LOT less subtle than the original cut.

• Members

DD2 went straight to DVD?
:facepalm:

I just read some reviews of it... sounds aweful.

I haven't read reviews, they tend to not agree with what I like. That and sequels get panned on principle alone.

Straight to DVD isn't a good sign though. I'll check it out soon and report back in then if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Archived