Donnie Darko question

dravenzouk

• Members

I just got done watching Donnie Darko (for the first time).

Now some of you might know that I'm a bit of a film junkie. I have a passion for going out of my way to find and watch interesting movies. I like a lot of different types of films, but the ones that end up being favorites, and that I really savor, tend to be a bit dark & twisted, with black humor and plotlines that make me work at it some. Off kilter is a good thing. I especially enjoy stories that Harlan Ellison would describe as "speculative fiction" - ones that might have a "weird" or surreal plot device (such as time travel, or magic realism) but are still at their core "human" stories.

So what's my question? This:

How the hell did I go this long without seeing this film? It was really freakin' cool. But somehow it just never registered on my radar screen until just recently.

• Members

One of my favorite movies. And it's about time travel (possibly read: omniscience/prescience) v. predestination (and the effect these things have on free will). Pretty much one of the most basic and important questions about reality. I don't know that it reaches any absolute conclusions but it talks about it which is cool.

Seen Memento?

• Members

One of my favorite movies. And it's about time travel (possibly read: omniscience/prescience) v. predestination (and the effect these things have on free will). Pretty much one of the most basic and important questions about reality. I don't know that it reaches any absolute conclusions but it talks about it which is cool.

Seen Memento?

Yeah, Memento was great. Another along similiar lines in recent years was Primer. These two were way more complex and involved than Darko I thought. All three thouroughly enjoyable, and worth repeated viewings.

• Members

And yes, I really loved the Gary Jules Mad World track. Talk about a cover outdoing the original. First thing I did when the movie was over was FF to the song credits to find out who/what that song was.

Another tidbit that makes it weird I had so completely missed this film until now: I have some semi-friends that play in a disco band. The band is named Sparkle Motion. I had no idea where they got the name before.

• Members

And yes, I really loved the Gary Jules Mad World track. Talk about a cover outdoing the original. First thing I did when the movie was over was FF to the song credits to find out who/what that song was.

Another tidbit that makes it weird I had so completely missed this film until now: I have some semi-friends that play in a disco band. The band is named Sparkle Motion. I had no idea where they got the name before.

This post makes me seriously doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

• Members

This post makes me seriously doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

:lol: :lol: I came SO close to lol'ing at work. :thu:

Draven.. now you need to go out and see the directors cut (assuming you didn't already). It's best to watch the original then the directors cut after I have found.

Oh and has everyone seen the trailer for the sequel that's coming out? About the younger sister? Looks interesting.

• Members

The director of Donnie Darko doesn't even know what the movie is about. Not even kidding.

Not quite true... In the original cut, he leaves you guessing and free to choose your own interpretation for what happened. In the director's cut not so much - his "version" of what it is about is pretty much rubbed in your face constantly. No room for intrepretation.

Needless to say, I prefer the original cut a lot. Probably the only case where I would recommend to NOT watch the director's cut.

Fantastic movie by the way, one of my favorites! :thu:

• Members

Not quite true... In the original cut, he leaves you guessing and free to choose your own interpretation for what happened. In the director's cut not so much - his "version" of what it is about is pretty much rubbed in your face constantly. No room for intrepretation.

Needless to say, I prefer the original cut a lot. Probably the only case where I would recommend to NOT watch the director's cut.

Fantastic movie by the way, one of my favorites!
:thu:

I agree with everything stated here.

• Members

Oh and has everyone seen the trailer for the sequel that's coming out? About the younger sister? Looks interesting.

The fact that it is a different director worries me. There were some great continuous shot sequences that almost made the movie for me the first time I saw it (since I couldn't quite grasp the story, yet). If the new director doesn't at least give a nod to that type of shooting, I will be very disappointed.

• Members

The fact that it is a different director worries me. There were some great continuous shot sequences that almost made the movie for me the first time I saw it (since I couldn't quite grasp the story, yet). If the new director doesn't at least give a nod to that type of shooting, I will be very disappointed.

True, but it could be like the hobbit movies that are coming out. They're supposed to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro who won't exactly be Peter Jackson, but I think he will put his own unique flavor to them.

• Members

The director of Donnie Darko doesn't even know what the movie is about. Not even kidding.

Yes he does, but in the original version many points were a bit too obtuse. Watch the director's cut of the movie.

• Members

Interesting. I don't know if I completely agree with their interpretation, but it is definitely interesting.

I can't spend the time on it at work to read it all. There is also a site that goes WAY into length about how DD is a Mason's movie too with a bunch of imagery and the like.

• Members

Fantastic movie by the way, one of my favorites!

Point, but when on the set of Southland Tales and was being interviewed, Richard Kelly was complimented about the movie, and then asked what the movie was about/trying to say. He literally laughed, and said "good question." He never gave an answer. I think it's funny that he didn't give an answer, and i do agree with you that people will choose their own interpretation. Either way, it's one of those movies that I can only watch once every year or so.

Archived