Duran Duran Bass Tone: How to get it?

doyo

• Members

pulled from wiki:

Basses

The bass guitar most commonly associated with John Taylor is the Japanese Aria Pro II, which he used during the height of Duran Duran's fame; he also promoted the instrument in a series of magazine advertisements. In the mid-1980s, John tried other basses such as Steinberger and Wal (interestingly, although the Wal is considered by many to be one of the world's finest basses, Taylor was unimpressed with his). Taylor eventually settled on Phillip Kubicki's Factor bass with a unique drop-D latch on the head. Taylor also inherited the Music Man StingRay belonging to his idol Bernard Edwards.

As of 2007, Taylor still plays the Aria and the Stingray, but has also been seen playing a 1962 reissue Fender Precision Bass, a Gibson Les Paul bass, a Warwick Thumb 5 and a Peavey Cirrus 5 and 4 string.

Noting Taylor's loyalty to the same Peavey bass guitar onstage with Duran Duran for several years, in early 2006, Peavey Guitars asked Taylor to create a signature 4-string bass guitar. With his design partner Patty Palazzo, and designer Ted McCann, Taylor created the limited-edition "Peavey Liberator J84", which featured a detachable amplifier built into a custom-built case. The amp could be expanded into an external speaker or amplifier to increase volume and flexibility. Taylor went on to design a six-string guitar, the "Peavey Liberator A435" (named after the main road that led from his childhood home into the city of Birmingham, England), as well. Only 100 each of the numbered-and-signed basses and guitars were made available to the public, in October 2006.

• Members

JT's just about my biggest influence. Want to learn how to play like John? Study Bernard Edwards first. Then, study world music, fine arts musics & (post)punk, etc... Everything I found fascinating as a 13 yr old. :love:

Duran Duran, as a band, is prolly my biggest influence. The 1st 3 albums were like a Bond soundtrack ...then they did a Bond titletrack. :D

• Moderators
JT's just about my biggest influence. Want to learn how to play like John? Study Bernard Edwards first. Then, study world music, fine arts musics & (post)punk, etc... Everything I found fascinating as a 13 yr old.
:love:
Duran Duran, as a band, is prolly my biggest influence. The 1st 3 albums were like a Bond soundtrack ...then they
did
a Bond titletrack.
:D

I loved Duran Duran, too. I think they are still putting out some good tunes.

• Members

Has anyone tried to mimic it? How could it be done?

:)

For some reason, I'm not getting sound from my computer at the moment. So this is all from memory...

I used to have a Steinberger XQ-5 (ash body, bolt-on graphite neck, active EMG pickups and EQ) and I could absolutely nail the Duran Duran tone. I was using relatively thick nickel-wound strings. The trick is to actually bump up the high-mids to get that punch. I would roll down the highs a bit and bring up the bass a bit. Then add quite a lot of compression (around 4:1) and a bit of noise gating. That helps the bass jump out when playing fingerstyle.

Something else I've noticed about the John Taylor sound is that the fundamental is pretty strong. You definitely get that with graphite-necked basses and it seems like neck-through basses often have a pretty solid fundamental compared to most bolt-on basses (which seem to have more overtones).

• Members

Thanks for your much more informative answer, greenshag. Do you happen to know his eq and compressor setting as well?

Thank you, T Alan Smith. I wasn't familiar with Bernard Edwards.

Good to see some of fellow DD fans!

• Members

Emprov, bassesofalessergod: What exact model of SB did he play, do you know?

Before I found out it was SB, I had thought it was single coil to be honest.

First of all, you never really know what goes on in the studio: what bass was recorded, through which amp (or board), using which compressors, etc. etc. You'll never know. Quite often, the bass you see on stage (or in the video) isn't the one you hear on the album. Trying to nail the tone from an album is generally pretty futile.

As for John Taylor, I really don't think the specific bass is all that important. The guy was a notorious gear whore. In addition to those Aria Pros, he's been known to play various Steinbergers (XL, XM, and XQ models), Kubickis, Wals, Stingrays, Peaveys, P-Basses, Les Paul Basses, Yamahas, and even B.C. Rich and Warwicks. Pretty much every bass under the sun! And yet, you can always tell it's him.

The constants seem to include stainless steel strings in relatively heavy gauges, humbuckers, a strong fundamental with boosted mids, and compression.

• Members

First of all, you never really know what goes on in the studio: what bass was recorded, through which amp (or board), using which compressors, etc. etc. You'll never know. Quite often, the bass you see on stage (or in the video) isn't the one you hear on the album. Trying to nail the tone from an album is generally pretty futile.

As for John Taylor, I really don't think the specific bass is all that important. The guy was a notorious gear whore. In addition to those Aria Pros, he's been known to play various Steinbergers (XL, XM, and XQ models), Kubickis, Wals, Stingrays, Peaveys, P-Basses, Les Paul Basses, Yamahas, and even B.C. Rich and Warwicks. Pretty much every bass under the sun! And yet, you can always tell it's him.

The constants seem to include stainless steel strings in relatively heavy gauges, humbuckers, a strong fundamental with boosted mids, and compression.

What a comprehensive post! Thanks.

• Members

Thanks for your much more informative answer, greenshag. Do you happen to know his eq and compressor setting as well?

Thank you, T Alan Smith. I wasn't familiar with Bernard Edwards.

Good to see some of fellow DD fans!

I do not, I just saw your post, and did a bit of googling, and remembered reading about his basses on wiki.....I do love some Duran Duran, so this thread interested me...

• Members

This is the fourth response and Super Bass hasn't shown up yet?
:p

I was on my way home from work. :)

+1 to what everyone else says... you need an SB. Well, you don't need one but it'll get you very close to his tone. ;)

Here's two of my three. The other is being worked on at the moment.

sbtwins2.jpg

left: late 80's Aria pro II Elite II

right: '07 Aria pro II SB-1000CB

The SB-1000CB is the same as the current John Taylor Aria except for the colour. :thu::)

• Members

What a comprehensive post!

I used to be a big-time new wave fan and Duran Duran was way up the list of bands I admired. John Taylor is definitely one of the guys who inspired me to play bass.

John Taylor and Tony Levin are a couple of the guys who inspired my "Steinberger bass through an SWR rig" phase. I didn't learn until much later that both of them were known to play Stingrays in the studio :lol:

Archived