Please Forgive me (HCBF) for I sinned...

dert_stylus

• Members

I cannot feel sorry for you. You were warned, and warned again, and still went and did that. For that you deserve to have to deal with a worthless non-performing amp. Now, just you try to unload that thing. Ha!

;)

• Members

*Awaits Jeffbass to come in here and tell you how wrong you are*

I know he has the bigger version, so It maybe better, but I just didn't like mine at all. Initially , I was using it while praticing alone , but once the band came into play I could not get one useful sound out if it. It's a great practice amp but for $279 , I could save the money and played through my PA.

Live and Learn:cry:

• Members

I have played a few of their basses and none of them were worth the money they were asking.

I've tried a few basses over the years... meh.

It was eons ago, but the only time I've ever used a Carvin bass head was when it was supplied by a headliner. It was a 500 watt head, and had to sit on a foam pad to keep from vibrating off the cab as it didn't have rubber feet. Well, it had rubber feet, but they didn't get used as the amp only functioned when turned upside down, so that's how it sat on the cab. :facepalm:

• Members

I have played a few of their basses and none of them were worth the money they were asking.

I've owned three of their basses.

B5 - Brand New. I ordered this bass with a Swamp Ash body, Birdseye Maple fingerboard, and the J/MM config. This bass never spoke to me. I ended up trading it for Carvin #2. Turns out the neck was warped. Carvin replaced it for the new owner after I confirmed he was the rightful owner of the bass.

LB75 - Used. Koa body with asymmetrical neck and humbucking J-style pickups. Overall, this bass wasn't too bad. The neck profile was solid. Still, the tone didn't "do it" for me...

LB70 - Used. Not sure of the body wood. Possibly Poplar or Alder. It had a Trans Green finish, and I couldn't tell. The finish on the neck was pretty badly worn on this bass. Still, a solid bass that still didn't really speak to me.

:deadhorse::idk::blah:

• Members

It's a 12", 120w combo so I'm not sure what your were expecting when the band showed up. Since when is 279 bucks a lot of money anyway? Did I fall asleep and wake up in the Bizarro world?

I have a Carvin 100w combo that does the job during rehearsals but it has a 15" speaker in there. With minimal watts you need to tweak the compressor, lower the bass and add some mids but with a 12" speaker I'm sure the tendency is to push the bass knob up, which is the opposite of what you should do when cranking a low powered amp. The BR15 is much better suited for band rehearsals.

As for "not speaking to you", well personal taste is what it is. I stood in front of a three thousand dollar SVT stack and thought "that's it?". Didn't speak to me.

• Members

It's a 12", 120w combo so I'm not sure what your were expecting when the band showed up. Since when is 279 bucks a lot of money anyway? Did I fall asleep and wake up in the Bizarro world?

I have a Carvin 100w combo that does the job during rehearsals but it has a 15" speaker in there. With minimal watts you need to tweak the compressor, lower the bass and add some mids but with a 12" speaker I'm sure the tendency is to push the bass knob up, which is the opposite of what you should do when cranking a low powered amp. The BR15 is much better suited for band rehearsals.

As for "not speaking to you", well personal taste is what it is. I stood in front of a three thousand dollar SVT stack and thought "that's it?". Didn't speak to me.

That is what I said in one of my previous post. I knew you had the bigger version and I am sure it probably sounds great. As for the 12 it is fine if I am practicing on my own, but in a band situation - it was horrendous...I just expected more.

I will take your suggestion and apply them on Friday and we will see how it goes. I hope you are right

• Members

I tried to buy a BR12 but they were out. My friend has electronic drums so the volume doesn't get outa hand and I wanted a "grab-and-go" little combo for those jams.

The 15" version is the one I used for 3 years of rehearsals (once a week) with a loud drummer, a Marshall stack and a screaming lead singer (thru PA). Not one problem and it sounded very good. Once I got past five on the volume I would turn the bass knob down to 5, push in the "mid boost" button and turn the compressor to 4. It's a very flat setting but the lows were still (present with the larger speaker) and the mids helped me "cut" thru the mix. Quite frankly we were rehearsing too loud when this happened, pissed the singer off to no end.

• Members

But your Carvin does?

I'd bet my farts speak to you.

• Members

Every Carvin I've ever played has spoken to me. Mostly they say "buy something else" but sometimes they say "you might be better off buying me at ridiculously cheap used prices if you're really interested, because I have no resale value."

Edit: that said, a Bx1200 or B1500 for 300-ish bucks that folks have found'em used is a damn fine deal. Nothing wrong with those amps at that price :)

• Members

But your Carvin does?

I'd bet my farts speak to you.

Hey stupid hater, go over to Talkbass.com and look up the B1500 and BX1200

amp threads.

I spend more time over there now because people actually know what they are talking about. :thu:

• Members

I started gigging with a Carvin Red Eye Cyclops Combo in 2001. IMO, it too lacked any real solid character in its sound. Just like the original poster described, you could turn all of the EQ knobs and sliders and it sounded just as bland as possible. Before selling it, I had picked up a smaller Carvin PB200-15 bass combo which is also pretty bland. I put a good compression pedal in front of it if I am going to use it for bass. I mostly use it as a PA monitor now.

In 2005, I inherited a AG100D multi-purpose amp combo and it sounds really good! I use it for PA re-inforcement, keyboard and love it for recording bass guitar.

• Members

Dert you shoulda got it's big, well little brother.

My little BX500 is kickin pretty hard.

I have been using it with my 212 cab lately since I am leaving that one at my drummer's house. Sounds good with my 112 and the 15 combo it came in.

Yesterday @ rehearsal my guitard was tweedling while i was tuning down to him.

I reached over and turned to volume to 5. He got the message.

I won't necessarily say I have better tone than with my GBE-400, but my band thinks so. Mainly because it is coming out with authority. Headroom is no longer an issue for me.

I am not a Carvin fanboy, but this one is getting the job done!

Archived