Bass Soloing Help!

BoundandBlocked

• Members

When I solo, I try to think of the bass vocally, as in "I want to sing with the bass". The rests/space that I would use are just as important as the notes themselves. I use modes as a trampoline in case I feel like Im going somewhere but cant find a safe way back.

With that said, on a piece like that, Im going to try to stay with each chords' arpeggio, and accent the notes that ascend/descend with each consecutive chord.

• Members

Figger out what key its in. Then if you dont know them already, learn some scale shapes in different positions in that key. That will help you develop a vocabulary to work with. Then 'sing' some melodic and improvizational (sp?) stuff over the chord progression, and dick with it for a bit. That's how I approach playing a solo...

• Members

Just play over it until it sounds right. :idea:

Seriously - that's what I'd do. Did he give you a chart? That would be helpful. If not, find the key and adjust to the modulations. It ain't as tough as you think it is. You're soloing, so you don't need think about rooting it or defining it or grooving so much - you just need to think melodic. ;)

• Members

So easy to say. So difficult to break free.

I didn't mean to sound cavalier about it. I didn't get a handle on on soloing until I'd been playing for about 10 years or so. It does go against everything you've strived for as a bassist, but that's really what you have to do.

• Moderators

I didn't mean to sound cavalier about it. I didn't get a handle on on soloing until I'd been playing for about 10 years or so. It does go against everything you've strived for as a bassist, but that's really what you have to do.

Oh, I know, and it is less of a problem for me on bass. On guitar solos I sound more like a pocket bassist. :facepalm:

• Members

Yes it is indeed the most difficult thing to do. We are instructed to reinforce the structure constantly, whatever we play and damn, did we work hard on it.

If you keep doing so while soloing you end with cliche, uninspired lines.

There is no golden rule to soloing, everything is possible yet we tend to stick to the structure because we're so used to it.

• Members

Every accompanist has this problem for all of the reasons already posted...we're so used to being in a support role that it's hard to step out of.

Check out horn players and singers for melodic ideas..Miles Davis is great to learn about leaving space in your lines and Sonny Rollins is great to learn about motivic development.

• Members

Cool, maybe I'll take a crack at it at some point. As for playing melodically, my advice to break away from 'sounding' like a bassline, instead of a solo, is to emphasize other intervals. Like, say, over a major chord, don't just play the 1 3 and 5, throw a 6 in there. I love that sound. Etc etc, different things work over different chords. Just try it out. Have a nice melodic arc, wide range. Good luck!

• Members

Every accompanist has this problem for all of the reasons already posted...we're so used to being in a support role that it's hard to step out of.

Check out horn players and singers for melodic ideas..Miles Davis is great to learn about leaving space in your lines and Sonny Rollins is great to learn about motivic development.

this is what I do for guitar solos strangely enough, I phrase like a horn player.

• Members

I would first figure out what notes you can play over the different chord progressions....which looks like a nightmare. I'd then work on soloing each of those sections and eventually making a smooth transition between those sections. Good luck.

• Members

Just play over it until it sounds right.
:idea:

Seriously - that's what I'd do. Did he give you a chart? That would be helpful. If not, find the key and adjust to the modulations. It ain't as tough as you think it is. You're soloing, so you don't need think about rooting it or defining it or grooving so much - you just need to think melodic.
;)

Exactly the way to do it bro! It really isn't hard at all. Come up with a cool basic melody and improv off of it.

• Members

Exactly the way to do it bro! It really isn't hard at all. Come up with a cool basic melody and improv off of it.

Didja listen to the clip by any chance?

Not knocking ya man but I'm not hearing much of anything melodic that'll go over that stuff.

I guess if I listened to more jazz that might be different, who knows?

• Members

Didja listen to the clip by any chance?

Not knocking ya man but I'm not hearing much of anything melodic that'll go over that stuff.

I guess if I listened to more jazz that might be different,
who knows?

I do. It would be different :)

It's a language like any other...If a Japanese man walked up to you and asked you a question in his native tongue, would you be able to answer him? You might even go so far as to say you don't hear any way to answer him. ;)

Archived