Bass Soloing Help!

BoundandBlocked

• Members

Didja listen to the clip by any chance?

Not knocking ya man but I'm not hearing much of anything melodic that'll go over that stuff.

I guess if I listened to more jazz that might be different, who knows?

Yes as a matter of fact I did listen to the clip and I do hear a melodic line over that. Not knocking you "man". But then again I studied Jazz at Duquesne University for 4 years.

• Members

Yes as a matter of fact I did listen to the clip and I do hear a melodic line over that. Not knocking you "man". But then again I studied Jazz at Duquesne University for 4 years.

Well there ya go, "man", or "bro" or whatever. :thu:

• Members
I prefer dude! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K!!!!!!!! It does help with a jazz backgound.

Reminds me of "dudemanguy" :lol:

Yeah, I just don't have any kind of ear for jazz at all.

It would be cool to hear a jazzer's take on that piece though: hopefully someone with a jazz background will put something up there.

I ain't fooling with it - it would probably suck badly; might kick it around this weekend just for {censored}s and grins.

• Members

the chart is the basic quality and root movement of the track...

there are some alterations on the track that arent in the chart....but that wouldn't effect a basic solo i think....

i may post a solo later. heaven knows i need the practice.

c'mon you chickens let's hear some jazz....lol

• Members

A tip given to me by a jazz soprano sax guy:

The advice to think about singing a melody is good. But take it a step further. Think of actual "lyrics" or phrases in your head. It doesn't have to be complete sentences, or make any real sense. But if you think of word phrases and make those into little melodies, the timing and rhythm end up sounding more "natural". They tend to flow in a way that seems coherent to folks, even though they don't understand why.

So make up some nonsense sentences, or quote just random lines of text you find. And run those through your head while you are making up melodies to set them to.

Some fun ones to use:

"I have no idea what chord is coming up next"

"Man, this is the hottest solo anyone has ever played"

"If I can just get through this solo without making a complete ass of myself, I'll be okay"

"I wonder if the guitard on the other side of the stage is even listening"

• Moderators

The advice to think about
singing
a melody is good. But take it a step further. Think of actual "lyrics" or phrases in your head. It doesn't have to be complete sentences, or make any real sense. But if you think of word phrases and make those into little melodies, the timing and rhythm end up sounding more "natural". They tend to flow in a way that seems coherent to folks, even though they don't understand why.

So make up some nonsense sentences, or quote just random lines of text you find. And run those through your head while you are making up melodies to set them to.

Some fun ones to use:

"If I can just get through this solo without making a complete ass of myself, I'll be okay"

Well that is the tip of the year for me. That instantly is helping me with phrasing with which I had trouble. Sweet! :thu:

• Members

Well that is the tip of the year for me. That instantly is helping me with phrasing with which I had trouble. Sweet!
:thu:

Yeah, it really helps. And it's fun too.

Ok - tip number two from the same guy:

Learn two or three tiny little melodic phrases that are recognizable to most people. Some examples would be bits like "Flintstones, meet the Flintstones", "Would You Like to Swing on a Star?", or "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (my favorite). Transpose and learn them in a bunch of keys. Then, whenever you are stuck in the middle (or beginning) of a solo for an idea, just throw one of those in there. Use it as kind of a springboard to get something going. Change it up and play around with it a bit if necessary. Head off in whatever direction you feel like once you get that start.

It works great. It gets you moving and starts out some momentum. A lot of folks will instantly recognize it (some subconsciously) and it will draw their interest and attention. They get a kick out of it. It's playful and fun for them, but it also serves to get you out of a tight spot (that they weren't aware of).

You do have to be careful to use this VERY sparingly though. Don't let it become a "signature" thing that you do, and try not to use it as a crutch two or three times a night. But used "every so often", it's a great little addition to your bag of tricks.

• Members

The advice to think about
singing
a melody is good. But take it a step further. Think of actual "lyrics" or phrases in your head. It doesn't have to be complete sentences, or make any real sense. But if you think of word phrases and make those into little melodies, the timing and rhythm end up sounding more "natural". They tend to flow in a way that seems coherent to folks, even though they don't understand why.

Some fun ones to use:

i may have to try this...

Archived