Another chapter closes

no-logic

• Members

A couple of weeks ago I told my primary band that I was leaving. The band had run it's course with me. I told them I would play the three remaining gigs that we had booked and that would be it. The drummer from that band and I are good friends and we talked about it afterwords and he said that he was getting tired of the whole thing too. It turns out the band is dissolving after the gigs anyway. I think it has run it's course for all of us. The drummer and I are also in another band and we also talked about our future in that band and I told him I would stick with it for a while but didn't really want to. Last week I hear from the guys in the other band saying that the drummer had called and wanted to take a long break and couldn't be sure he would ever be back. He also mentioned that I was thinking the same thing. They said no problem that they would look for new members. So I am bandless and couldn't be happier. I really wanted to get out of the band scene for a while and really have had little interest in playing all together. Maybe I just need a long break but for now I am through playing. I'm 56 and I'm just tired of it all. I'll whittle down my gear and just keep enough to play by myself once in awhile or maybe do an occassional jam.....maybe. I have played with some of these guys for 12 years and I'll still see them but not to play music. And I feel sad but relieved. I'll still be stopping in here to see what you guys are up to. Sorry but you can't get rid of me that easy.

• Members
Nice that you guys can part ways on good terms. Must be a sign of your 'mature' age...

:thu:

Yup, I think you are right. It pays to talk things through and be adults about it. We're all still good buds.

• Members

For me, the bitch about playing bass is that, it just doesn't sound right by itself, unless you are stanley clark or something. I guess that is prolly why I will always have a band, or just quit playing altogether...... good mojos sent your way on being happy with your decision.

• Members
For me, the bitch about playing bass is that, it just doesn't sound right by itself, unless you are stanley clark or something. I guess that is prolly why I will always have a band, or just quit playing altogether...... good mojos sent your way on being happy with your decision.

Thanks man. That means a lot.

• Members

Well congrats on a lifetime of jamz!

and Let me know if you want to get rid of the DB500. that's my main amp and I'd might like to get my hands on another. don't know of anyone else that's used one. cheers

• Members
Well congrats on a lifetime of jamz!

and Let me know if you want to get rid of the DB500. that's my main amp and I'd might like to get my hands on another. don't know of anyone else that's used one. cheers

Sorry but that one is staying for now. That is one of the best combos for the money IMO. Loud, powerful, great sound. But kinda heavy. I use mine at home only.

• Members

Sorry but that one is staying for now. That is one of the best combos for the money IMO. Loud, powerful, great sound.

I'm seeing a pattern here and I like it.

You're justifying why you need to keep every piece of gear you already own. Carry on, as you were. :thu:

• Members
I'm seeing a pattern here and I like it.

You're justifying why you need to keep every piece of gear you already own. Carry on, as you were.
:thu:

You're right. But you know, I've always enjoyed trying different gear almost as much as I used to enjoy playing. It's taken many years to fine tune my gear and I really like all of it. It will be hard to part with any of the pieces I have now. It's like keeping yourself surrounded by good friends.

• Members

You're right. But you know, I've always enjoyed trying different gear almost as much as I used to enjoy playing. It's taken many years to fine tune my gear and I really like all of it. It will be hard to part with any of the pieces I have now. It's like keeping yourself surrounded by good friends.

I haven't gigged in almost a full decade now, yet I still insist that I have to own at least 3 different basses at all times.

Archived