Poll: What new finish for the Thumperbird?

Thumper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did it on my Start, didn't care for the results at all.

Well, to be fair, it was a hammertone finish, but still.

What hammertone was it? I tried (I think it was) rustoleum bronze hammertone on a sample and it didn't look like I would be able to get a decent hammertone effect on a large surface. And it was too gray.

Worked OK on my porch railing though.

What I'd really like is a black wrinkle finish like you might see on a vintage electronic chassis.

• Members
What hammertone was it? I tried (I think it was) rustoleum bronze hammertone on a sample and it didn't look like I would be able to get a decent hammertone effect on a large surface. And it was too gray.

Worked OK on my porch railing though.

What I'd really like is a black wrinkle finish like you might see on a vintage electronic chassis.

I don't recall offhand. I bough it from Home Depot, so Tremclad or whatever stock brand you'd find in a place like that. It was too grey, and I didn't care for how it felt on my bare arms, so I sanded it a little too smooth it out. Now it just looks pitted and dull grey. :rolleyes:

• Members
I've got it narrowed down to Pelham Blue, or Heritage Cherry
a la
a '60s Gibson SG.

If this is the case, then I'd go with the Cherry a la the SG. That would be true Gibson and very sweet. Can't wait for pics. :thu:

• Members

I used automotive touchup spray to refinish a strat. Artic White with 10 coats of clear lacquer over it, sanded that with 600 then 900 then 1500 grit wet sandpaper to level the paint and lastly used buffing paste to polish and remove the sanding marks. Cost me $25 and some time. The important thing is let it cure. After the last coat of lacquer let it rest for two weeks before final finishing otherwise the paint is too soft. The buffing paste is also good for those of you who are OCD when it comes to scratches.

• Members
Trans Cherry so you can see the wood through it. That's actually the best idea I have heard thus far. I change my vote to this.

That's what the guys at 12th Fret thought, too. Cherry it is. :thu:

Pics in about six weeks...

• Members
That's what the guys at 12th Fret thought, too. Cherry it is.
:thu:

Pics in about six weeks...

Most excellent. I can't wait to see it. You should look in to a black TBird PG for it, you already know it looks good from the SG's.

Archived