Poll: What new finish for the Thumperbird?

Thumper

• Members

Guys,

I'm going a bit hawg-wild with the Thumperbird. So far, it has new nickel lightweight Kluson-style tuners from Hipshot, a nickel Allparts three-point bridge, nickel pup rings and a Monster Bass Bar bridge mod.

The original tobacco sunburst finish is getting pretty beat up. Twelfth Fret in SE PDX can refinish it for @ $550, including (maybe) refinishing the pup covers in nickel paint. I tried to paint them myself, and...:facepalm:

Ultimately, the Thumperbird will have nickel cover Mike Lull humbuckers---as soon as his supplier can get the magnets right. I've been waiting since the first week in March...:freak:

So, what color for the reincarnation?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

My color combo of the day is Pantone 8583 metallic & 660. I don't know if that helps, but if you could get your bass done like that tonight and show it to me tomorrow, I'd have a better idea of how much I do or don't like it. Thanks. I'll wait right here.

• Members

Tolex.

:idea:

If they did tort Tolex, I'd be on that like gravy on a biscuit.

I've got it narrowed down to Pelham Blue, or Heritage Cherry a la a '60s Gibson SG. I'll poll my band mates at rehearsal tonight, and solicit the guys at 12th Fret for their opinions.

• Members

I've got it narrowed down to Pelham Blue, or Heritage Cherry
a la
a '60s Gibson SG. I'll poll my band mates at rehearsal tonight, and solicit the guys at 12th Fret for their opinions.

Trans Cherry so you can see the wood through it. That's actually the best idea I have heard thus far. I change my vote to this.

Archived