Who here gives lessons?

JC Bass

• Members

I have been asked by a few people recently if I would be interested in giving lessons...my first instinct is to decline because I'm not sure if I would be a very good teacher, yet several people tell me I'd be fantastic at it. I have told the people who have asked that I need to think about it and get back to them.

My question to you guys here that do give lessons centers around how you go about it. Do you have the students purchase a book and work through the book with them making sure that their techniques are correct and such? I would be doing beginning lessons...nothing advanced...

I'm just totally in the dark about how I would do it. :confused:

Suggestions?

• Members

I have been asked by a few people recently if I would be interested in giving lessons...my first instinct is to decline because I'm not sure if I would be a very good teacher, yet several people tell me I'd be fantastic at it. I have told the people who have asked that I need to think about it and get back to them.

My question to you guys here that do give lessons centers around how you go about it. Do you have the students purchase a book and work through the book with them making sure that their techniques are correct and such? I would be doing beginning lessons...nothing advanced...

I'm just totally in the dark about how I would do it.
:confused:

Suggestions?

I'm far from the expert at it, but I've given a few.

I never worked out of a book. First you have to assess what your student's level of playing and knowledge is. Then I'd spend roughly the first half of the lesson working on physical technique and introduce some theory concepts and discuss ways to approach different grooves, then the second half would help the student with the music he wants to play. Everyone is so different, you really need to discuss with the student what his goals and expectations are in order to determine how you're going to help him or her the most.

Bassius is the guy you need to talk to, he's got a whole program developed. My main strength is lot of practical experience in performing, writing, and recording.

• Members

I generally start with getting students comfortable with the instrument and reading. Two separate things.

Whatever the instrument, I usually start them with some rudimentary exercises that do not require reading. At the same time, I get them accustomed to reading music. Later, I begin to tie the two together.

• Members

Check out Youtube. They got some good stuff. I've been asked to teach occasionally but I'm just not into it. I think the key is to get the student interested, so I would probably just teach them a few lines from their favourite artists to start. I think a lot of people give up learning as their instrument is not set up properly. I would give them a mini-tech course like how to take the thing apart and set it up again, including intonation etc. That's my initial thoughts.

• Members

I've been around a long time and have had many students. Some of the more famous would be Sid Vicious, Keanu Reeves, Mark Hoppus, and quite a few other greats. You can reach me at BR-549 anytime, day or nite.

• Members

in other words he dont wanna talk to moi

:poke:

:-P

Just exactly where did I say I didn't want to talk to you? Was hoping you would actually post your suggestions on the off chance that someone else might find the information helpful as well...

• Members

ok well to answer your question...

i see where the weaknesses are in a persons playing and i show them how to fix them

i've been doing it for 16 years now so....it comes easy.

basically i think about what the student is capable in 5 categories

their time

technique

tone

ear training

and theory knowledge

i go from there...everyone is different

Archived