OT: Girls allowed in Boy Scouts??

chubrocker

• Members

Drove by the local church on the way home and saw the scouts doing stuff out in the church yard. One group was doing the scout pledge--and there was definitely one girl in the group. Girls now allowed in Boy Scouts? Did I miss this in the news?

• Members

What color was their shirts? I am guessing the standard tan?

Guess times are a changin. I can see it happening. When I was finishing up with it, there was Explorer Scouts which was coed, and they wore green shirts, and was basically the same thing except not so much on advancement and awards and such, but more on trips and outdoors stuff and such.

• Members

There's a girl or two in our extended troupe with their brother. Guess it's easier to have the siblings along.

I remember there were always the sisters of kids tagging along, and participating in all the activities and such. They would go to camp, go hiking, and all that.

• Members

This hit the courts back in the late '80's. Same time as the women reporters belonging in men's locker rooms did.

The boy scouts lost.

First I've heard of it. :confused:

Girls are still not permitted to be members of any traditional Boy Scout troop. There is a nationally sanctioned coed program, as detailed above.

• Members

Who
and
What? Are there a lot of wombats or ficus trees making court challenges to become Scouts?
:confused:

What= homosexuals. Whether or not you agree or disagree with that lifestyle (and frankly I couldn't give less of a {censored}), it's true that a private group should be able to govern whom it allows in.

• Members

Where in this thread has anyone claimed anything but?
:confused:

Well, the very fact that girls may be allowed to be in Boy Scouts, despite that it's ALWAYS been a male association, says to me that the pressure on the BSA is finally starting to crack some of the stalwarts.

KK, you're being a pedantic douche. You know exactly what I mean.

• Members

Well, the very fact that girls may be allowed to be in Boy Scouts, despite that it's ALWAYS been a male association, says to me that the pressure on the BSA is finally starting to crack some of the stalwarts.

The idea that the girls were members of the Boy Scouts was pure speculation, not fact...The Boy Scouts in America is still a male-only orginization. It was however pointed out that OTHER programs, affiliated with the Boy Scouts, have coed membership. And as I pointed out, at least in Canada, they've eliminated the Boy/Girl Scouts and simply have Scouts.

• Members

I do know what you mean, and that you think it's pedantic and focusing on irrelevant details is precisely the issue; it's not. Referring to a group of people as a "what" is dehumanizing.

The Boy Scouts aren't trying to keep out a specific philosophy, they're not trying to keep out an abstract concept or "a behavior". They're trying to keep out people.

I think they've got the right to do that, but call it what it is. Don't let your language choices hide the fact that the organization is choosing to reject people based off of their sexual orientation.

• Members

Young women are not, and never have been, allowed to join the BSA per se. There is no "may" about it, and there are legal decisions on the BSA's side that will likely prevent it from ever happening.

Considering that girls have the GSUSA, a single-sex organization for females with largely the same goals and commitments, I don't see where any of this nebulous "pressure" would be coming from, since girls aren't being denied anything by not being able to join the BSA (never mind the fact that they have opportunities to join stuff like Venturing if they want to take part in it anyway.)

Why the differentiation, then? :poke:

• Members

I do know what you mean, and that you think it's pedantic and focusing on irrelevant details is precisely the issue; it's not. Referring to a group of people as a "what" is dehumanizing.

The Boy Scouts aren't trying to keep out a specific philosophy, they're not trying to keep out an abstract concept or "a behavior". They're trying to keep out
people

I think they've got the right to do that, but call it what it is. Don't let your language choices hide the fact that the organization is choosing to reject
people
based off of their sexual orientation.

Your argument, while valid, is largely semantic. Yes, they are keeping out people, but people who ascribe to a particular personal philosophy and practice a lifestyle/behaviour which is not in keeping with the orginization's philosophy.

• Members

You're fighting a losing battle in the wrong venue. :p

• Members

Your argument, while valid, is largely semantic.

Not largely, it's entirely semantic. :D

However, semantic doesn't mean trivial.

HBC asks a rather telling question: If it was entirely unnecessary and unimportant, then why the distinction?

Archived