Gas should be $10 a gallon

knuckle_head

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course he wants gasoline at ten bucks a gallon - he's got a dog in the fight.

I love this quote:

"I'm not paying for the true cost of gasoline at the pump...since nobody's explicitly paying for the CO2 capacity of the oceans and atmospheres, it's getting consumed. We will pay for it down the road, but we are sort of ignoring it for now."

What a douche. Any sort of carbon tax or cap & trade system needs to be shot down. If we pass cap & trade here in the states, it will be essentially a colossal energy tax, and people will see their utility bills skyrocket. The government already meddles too much in energy production (for example, Minnesota law prevents the building of any new nuclear power plants), so passing the proposed cap & trade bill would be an epic mistake.

• CMS Author

What a douche. Any sort of carbon tax or cap & trade system needs to be shot down. If we pass cap & trade here in the states, it will be essentially a colossal energy tax, and people will see their utility bills skyrocket. The government already meddles too much in energy production (for example, Minnesota law prevents the building of any new nuclear power plants), so passing the proposed cap & trade bill would be an epic mistake.

Just one more consideration: when oil-based energy skyrockets, do you think people will look at a $20,000 solar or wind option, or a $4000 wood-burning stove to heat their homes? When "clean" cars cost $40,000, for a {censored}ty subcompact, will you buy new or try to keep your old junker afloat for just one more year?

3rd-world, here we come!!!

• Members

$10 per gallon is fine with me. Oh, I forgot to add that you need to guarantee me at least a $200,000 income for the rest of my life. Sound fair?

+1. Basically the cost of everything would go through he roof. Probably need more than 200k.

• Members

It's about the source. If the source who wants a gas tax sells nothing but electric vehicles, I'm a bit suspicious of his motives. The only good thing about a huge gas tax is that it will keep the poor off the roads that should rightly be for their betters.

...lights cigar with $100 bill

• CMS Author

Unlikely. I don't think my local growers would be effected to that extent.

Buy local.

I'd likely put a garden in as well.

Why not put one in now?? Oh, because planting and weeding and dealing with insect pests is only cool if it's something you *might* do in the future.....;)

BTW....if CA lettuce sells for $9, local lettuce will still be priced "competitively".

• Members

Why not put one in now?? Oh, because planting and weeding and dealing with insect pests is only cool if it's something you *might* do in the future.....
;)

Nothing to do with being "Cool". It has to do with me having cheap locally grown lettuce available to me now. If that changes in the future, I will adapt.

:idk:

• Members

Oh and we already buy a bunch of our vegetables from our neighbor who's entire backyard is a garden. I don't think she's doing it as a business and doesn't care much about California prices.

So now everyone will have to become a farmer as well as their 9 to 5 job.....unless, of course, they are rich. Why do you hate poor america? :(

Archived