Portable Recorder Recomendations

B-Bottom

• Members

Zoom H4, hands down.

It recorded well enough that when I did a couple clips, people not only could tell there was a TV in the background, they could tell what the guy was saying, and it wasn't loud at all! And that was zero prep, noisy room, and built-in mics.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]KD4N9T2i7TE[/YOUTUBE]

H4 in action. This guy makes terrible music and has a huge ego thinking he's breaking new ground doing what every man and his dog can do, but it's all being recorded with just an H4 in a room.

• Members

I'm interested in finding a decent (not very expensive) digital recorder that I could use for band practices and shows. The old Tascam 8 track has become a bit cumbersome

The biggest variance between the available units (in that price range) is the quality of the built-in mics.

The zoom H4 has the best mics in it's price range: I use one to record band rehearsals and such.

The old version of the H4 had a funky user interface; this has been improved I gather with the H4N model.

It will also support the high capacity SD cards.

pros:

excellent built-in mics

decent a/d converters: makes a decent audio interface over usb if you're in a pinch

decent effects

cons:

not the most durable plastic housing

funky tripod adapter

clunky UI - the control "pad" at the center of the unit has a flimsy feel to it

• Members

Sound board -> Zoom H4 or the H4 by itself if you're not looking for anything CD quality.

If recording off the board then one of the competing units might be a better choice (like the Tascam).

The tascam unit (can't remember the model) has slightly better a/d converters than the zoom.

Archived