Mother kills 3 1/2 week old baby because the devil told her to...

bassthumpintwin

• Members

Exactly. People who dismiss mental illness really have no clue what it's like for those people or their loved ones.

I suffer with a mental illness that first manifested itself during puberty. Through lots of doctors and the right medication, I'm able to be a functional individual. It's horrible that so many people don't seek treatment, and even worse that some still believe that mental illness isn't legitimate. Like many things, those who have no personal experience (themselves or through loved ones) are woefully ignorant about the true realities of what such illnesses can do.

That said, I don't completely agree with the sentiment that this woman needs treatment instead of prison, or "the help that she deserves." I believe she is completely responsible for the death she caused, whether or not it was triggered by her schizophrenia. Mental illness is a reason for behavior, and a very strong one at that, but it is not an excuse. I did a few things as a teenager that were fostered by my mental illness, and I was punished accordingly. While this woman's mental state should definitely determine what kind of housing she gets within a correctional facility, life imprisonment (or even the death penalty in applicable states) is not unreasonable in my opinion.

I work with offenders who have similar mental health issues, many just as severe as this woman's. We had a guy dive off his bunk onto the concrete because he thought he was going to splash down in a nice lake. Another guy smashed his wife's head in because voices told him to do it. Both are serving sentences for their crimes that would be no different had they been completely sane when they committed their acts.

Generally speaking, this country has gone away from traditional mental hospitals and back into mainstream incarceration. Besides, we really don't have the money to spend on giving criminals "the help they deserve," when many states can barely meet the operating budgets for their existing prisons.

We can't forget punishment as an act of retribution for the benefit of society. If your loved one was murdered by someone with a psychotic disorder, would it be right to put the offending individual in a security hospital until he/she was deemed fit for release? Imagine if that person only does five years and is back out on the street - how would that reflect on the victim the the victim's family. Obviously that's a cliche example, but we do need to look at both sides.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, they aren't. Late term abortions are rarely performed, and only when the mother and/or fetus is in danger.

hawkhuff has already been called out for his bull{censored} on this. He doesn't respond after being presented with facts and logic, he then moves on to something else.

I'm really not sure what is up with this guy. I find it difficult to actually believe he believes all the bull{censored} he spouts, which means he's only doing all this to actually troll people into responding. As he's stated elsewhere, he only comes to HCBF for the entertainment. He writes these totally idiotic posts just to rile people up.

But then again, it could be he DOES believe all the things he writes...which is kind of sad because then it highlights someone's mental illness. If that's the case, I hope he does find help or at least someone should up his medications. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

• Members
Man that view from up there must be {censored}ing fantastic.

Do I think what she did was horrible and could have been avoided? Absolutely. Do I think that killing her will do no good because in her state it seemed like a correct choice, and thusly she deserves treatment, and not execution? Absolutely.

Sorry that my head's not up my ass. I've been in the same headspace as her and it's not a {censored}ing pretty place when your best friend in the whole world seems like he's going to kill you if you turn your back.

Until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you can kindly join my ignored list and have a nice life.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

I am quite pleased to be a part of your ignore list with those views and sentiments. ;) Yeah, these things have only happened to you and you're unique, just like everyone else.

Some here are of the opinion that some of these whackos should be punished. And some have alluded to serious punishment. That's a point of view and I don't necessarily ascribe to it but it is a legitimate point of view. Contrary to what you and your ilk believe, there are victims of whackos who take lives and those left behind might have a view other than you and yours. But because something happened to you and others who espouse this narcissistic tripe, no one else understands and therefore must be ill informed at best and complete idiots or worse. Get over yourself, would you?

If you don't you may wind up like many of the chi-tards who 'grace' this forum. Must be the water. :p

• Members

Mental illness sucks, but doesn't absolve you from punishment for doing abhorrent things. This lady deserves to die... And not a clean death IMO. If she had cerebral palsy or down's syndrome, I'd be saying the same thing.

• Members

Generally speaking, this country has gone away from traditional mental hospitals and back into mainstream incarceration. Besides, we really don't have the money to spend on giving criminals "the help they deserve," when many states can barely meet the operating budgets for their existing prisons.

We can't forget punishment as an act of retribution for the benefit of society. If your loved one was murdered by someone with a psychotic disorder, would it be right to put the offending individual in a security hospital until he/she was deemed fit for release? Imagine if that person only does five years and is back out on the street - how would that reflect on the victim the the victim's family. Obviously that's a cliche example, but we do need to look at both sides.

I whole heartedly agree with you.

• Members
I think the thing that people fail to realize is that - much like in the Matrix - reality is what your brain tells you it is. Generally, behavior that many people would consider "insane" and irrational are actually rational behaviors based on what's going on inside the persons head.

Don't think for a second that you wouldn't fight back if you thought someone was trying to kill you, even if that wasn't really the case. Your world is nothing more than what your brain tells you it is, and you can try to convince yourself that YOU wouldn't play along because you'd somehow know better, but the reality is that you're full of {censored}.

If Satan himself suddenly started telling you to do {censored}, you'd god damn well do it. Sooner or later, you'd do it. That's just how it goes. And if it wasn't Satan, it'd be some other epic figure that could impose itself onto you.

Perception is reality, it isn't a high flung concept that few understand. It doesn't nor shouldn't absolve you from criminal acts. Plain and simple.

Archived