Dog

MrJoshua

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a dog. I've been thinking about it for years, really, but never really thought I had the time to devote to one that it would need. Well, my parents recently mentioned that they'd like a dog. I live on the edge of my parents' farm, so now I'm thinking of getting a farm dog that we could train to help with the cattle, etc. Either some sort of shepherd or a similar dog.

So I'm looking for some suggestions. Breeds? Things to watch out for? We live about a mile away from a four-lane highway but we're at the end of a dead-end road and we have about 35 acres for the dog to run around on, most of which is pasture with cattle, so I'm not too worried about the dog not having enough space. :)

This will not be an inside dog; it will be an outside dog. Or dogs, if I need to have two in order to assure that they don't get lonely at night. I need something intelligent, that can learn basic commands and has a decent herd instinct and preferably one that will be good with the cattle.

Thanks for any input! :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good that you mention that dogs are social, pack creatures, and it's good to have two or more of them. I think that one dog on your farm would be fine, but in general, they should have a friend.

I know many people with just one dog, and they leave it for long periods of time alone. Dogs go crazy this way. Cats will be fine alone, not dogs.

Sounds like a situation any dog would love.

• Members

You know, I am not sure if you can train non-herding breeds to herd or not, but one of my labradors seems to have a touch of herding instinct. It's pretty hilarious.

Anyway, I find labs to be awesome, easy to train, and good natured. Definitely a recommendation if you can get'em to do what you needem to do :)

I think a Lab might be close enough with the working instinct.

• Members

I really like the looks of these dogs, but I've heard they need a LOT of exercise and I'm not sure "go patrol the pasture and watch the cows while I go to work" counts...

We have a half dalmation/half blue heeler. It's a pretty crazy mutt. :)

I'd like a border collie if/when I get room for a bigger doggie.

• Members

He looks a lot like my Boughzie.
;)

Actually a She. Xena was 110 pounds of sweetness and power. Could standing jump a 7 foot fence knock fence pickets out with her head and would occationally bend over the gate latch when she wanted to go outside the back yard. Was friends with every kid on the block and simply terrified anyone who didn't know her. Passed 2 years ago and I just got a new shepherd, Nikitia for my birthday/Father's day.

dapnt3euom.jpg

This one is very very sharp. :D

• Members

Actually a She. Xena was 110 pounds of sweetness and power. Could standing jump a 7 foot fence knock fence pickets out with her head and would occationally bend over the gate latch when she wanted to go outside the back yard. Was friends with every kid on the block and simply terrified anyone who didn't know her. Passed 2 years ago and I just got a new shepherd, Nikitia for my birthday/Father's day.

dapnt3euom.jpg

This one is very very sharp.
:D

She's a beauty!

This is my guy that passed 2 years ago. He too was a powerful lad but loved and protected the kids. I miss him terribly. He was a bit over 100 lbs.

My new guy, Boughzie, is a teddy bear. The other in the pic is GSD and border collie mix. Smartest dog I've ever had.

Archived