Search is busted. What do you think of the Traynor YBA200?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

:wave:

I'd have to disagree with the TB crew on this one. I've had mine since 2006 and have gigged it many times.

Underpowered? I've used mine live at gigs in medium-sized venues with 2x10 and 1x15 cabs and never had to turn the master up past 5.

Undertrannied? I haven't had any issues. IIRC there were some reliability issues with the original, so Traynor made some changes and came out with the YBA 200-2.

Mid-scooped? Not to my ears. I keep the resonance and scoop controls set at zero.

I'd like to hear what Karl has to say. If you can pick it up for $500 or less, buy it (assuming you've checked it out and like it).

• Members

I've had the privelege to play Bassman56's a couple times, and really dig it. As he will tell you you need to learn how to use the eq functions, as they're a little different. My view of it is that it has a big meaty, warm tube tone, but it won't stay clean for long if you push the volume up. Playing with a couple loud, and especially distorted guitarists, I can easily see why some would say it's not loud enough. Use it within it's parameters and it is a very nice sounding amp.

• Members

I've had the privelege to play Bassman56's a couple times, and really dig it. As he will tell you you need to learn how to use the eq functions, as they're a little different. My view of it is that it has a big meaty, warm tube tone, but it won't stay clean for long if you push the volume up.
Playing with a couple loud, and especially distorted guitarists, I can easily see why some would say it's not loud enough
. Use it within it's parameters and it is a very nice sounding amp.

:(

we only have one guitar player right now, he uses a SUNN 200S and a 4x12.

Stoner rock = loud guitars.

The Peavey VB2 looks pretty nice too?

• Members

:(

we only have one guitar player right now, he uses a SUNN 200S and a 4x12.

Stoner rock = loud guitars.

All is not lost, and my concern would be mainly in a loud rehearsal space with no real pa. It would be different on a stage, and especially if your guitards don't have the mentality of 16 year olds.;)

• Members

Well, I will probably have to compete with a completely cranked 50-100w amp.
:o
Part of the nomenclature which is stoner rock.

I was up against a 50 watt Marshall half-stack and 50 watt Fender De Ville and held my own.

UP against a 100-watt amp cranked? I'd be doomed.

If you have a decent PA, you can run through the mains and monitors.

• Members

Have mine on top a set of Mesa's, 115 + 210. A friend said it was the loudest 200W he has ever heard. That was on his driveway in the middle of corn fields, at full or nearly full tilt. It breaks up sweetly for a little grind. It could use a little more bottom, or low mid, but overall it's an incredible amp for the money. It may not be your sound, but it's clearly not junk.

Oh yeah, and that POS cab they try to sell it with, may be a good cab, but is the worst cab I've ever heard paired with the YBA200.

• Members

Well, that's the way he's talking......cranked 50w Sunn.

If it's just one guitarist playing a dimed 50 watt tube Sunn, you should have no problems keeping up.

I think a Traynor bass amp and Sunn guitar amp would make an awesome mix, given proper eq and volume settings.

I played a Sunn 2000S (120 watts of all-tube Sunn goodness) back in high school in the late '70s, with a guitarist playing a 50 watt Marshall Plexi. I had no trouble standing out in the mix.

• Members

Mine came from the factory with 6550s. KT88s are a common substitute.

I get a nice, warm, growly, over-driven tone with the gain set at 5 1/2. Boosting the gain adds more dirt.

If it's just one guitarist playing a dimed 50 watt tube Sunn, you should have no problems keeping up.

I think a Traynor bass amp and Sunn guitar amp would make an awesome mix, given proper eq and volume settings.

I played a Sunn 2000S (120 watts of all-tube Sunn goodness) back in high school in the late '70s, with a guitarist playing a 50 watt Marshall Plexi. I had no trouble standing out in the mix.

Thanks for the info and advice!:cool:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.:confused:

..since I just realized that my clean blending rig........wasn't blending any cleans. :facepalm: I had the line selector set to the wrong mode. :facepalm::facepalm: So I was just running bass>line selector>OD>amp.....no cleans blended. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I'm going to have to mess around with it a little more tomorrow......but from what I could tell....it sounded much better. Even with just a Tubescreamer, it sounded powerful and ballsy.

• Members

How do I know if it's an original or not? 6550 = original?

The logo is the easiest tip off. If it's got the wings on it, it's the first version, a slanted logo is the -2.

Currently, I'm playing a Traynor XS400H head and matching 4x10 cab....which sounds pretty good clean, but the overdrive is terrible.

Truth. I was a little disappointed in the end results of it. I wanted a little more time to fine tune it, but just didn't have it.

I'm looking for a tube amp that can do some pretty thick growly overdrive or fuzz.

The YBA200 can break up a little early for some tastes. I think that will make it good for you if anything, it will get the breakup that you want, but not deafening you like an SVT would.

• Members

The logo is the easiest tip off. If it's got the wings on it, it's the first version, a slanted logo is the -2.

Truth. I was a little disappointed in the end results of it. I wanted a little more time to fine tune it, but just didn't have it.

The YBA200 can break up a little early for some tastes. I think that will make it good for you if anything, it will get the breakup that you want, but not deafening you like an SVT would.

It's the one in the for sale section.....it's the first version.

I like to set the drive mix to 50%, and gain and tube drive around 10-11.......really warms and fattens my Jazz up. Other then that....it's just kinda buzzy and blah. Although, I found that turning the gain up full with the tube drive switch off can add a lot of punch and volume.:love:

I'd probably like to run the amp at the edge of break up....and then boost to get it really heavy.

Archived