Wal Basses are BACK!!!!

In Absentia

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Relatively close.

Close enough to buy one and have enough money left over to buy replicas of all his pedals, and still have change leftover for a week long cruise. :lol:

And once all the pedals are engaged, you probably couldn't tell the difference anyway. :idk:

• Members

It was years ago, around 91-92, at some bass shop in LA, so I honestly don't remember the model. I do remember it was ridiculously expensive, played nice, seemed like a quality bass, but I never liked the tone.

I hear ya'. I just love how punchy they are.

• Members

Back and more expensive than ever.

This.

As some of you know, I had two this time last year (or maybe 2 years ago?). I sold 'em both.

My '88 Mach I 4 cost me $2k as I got it local, and I sold it for double that. I bought a Mach II 5 from The Hammer and considering the cost, he let me try it out a little first and I ended up returning it to him. Among the worst B strings I've experienced. We're talking Fender bad. I just couldn't dig on it, especially since I had 3 Q5's in the fold at the same time.

They sound great, but they are finnicky and IME not all that comfortable. They're the Ferrari and Lambo's of the bass world.

I can get comparable tones from my NS2 and I'm much happier.

Still I'm glad they're back to market. I will pick up another used one in the future I'm sure.

• Members

But does it sound good?

There's a sweet writeup of them in last month's BP Mag.

They loved them. The 4 string looked awesome- cedar neck w/ carbon fiber wrapping. And they raved about the p'ups and the sound.

I'm interested to test one out.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Chancellor

There are an awful lot of effects in there... Not sure you could really attribute his "sound" to his bass. I figure a good dual 'bucker played through his rig would reproduce a pretty similar tone, but
:idk:

Well although you have a legitimate point, I still feel its his bass...I saw them a few months ago in San Antonio from the front row...His tone is spectacular...Everybody I've heard play a Wal has a very similar tone...Its the bass man

• Members

Well although you have a legitimate point, I still feel its his bass...I saw them last month in San Antonio from the front row...His tone is spectacular...Everybody I've heard play a Wal has a very similar tone...Its the bass man

It's a lot of it, for certain. When I had mine, I mean the tone was just there.

And ever heard of that lil' 'ol album called "Blood Sugar Sex Magik?" Yeah, most of that album is all Wal, and I could definitely nail it once you get used to the EQ settings.

There are things that come close as I stated that would pass for most people, but side by side you can easily tell the difference. They're great pieces in the right hands and for those that can get the most out of them.

• Members

It's a lot of it, for certain. When I had mine, I mean the tone was just
there

And ever heard of that lil' 'ol album called "Blood Sugar Sex Magik?" Yeah, most of that album is all Wal, and I could definitely nail it once you get used to the EQ settings.

There are things that come close as I stated that would pass for most people, but side by side you can easily tell the difference. They're great pieces in the right hands and for those that can get the most out of them.

Oh yes, Im aware of fleas Wal tone...Suck my kiss is pretty stellar tone...When I had my my musicman...I suppose the argument could be made that my tone was kind of close...but im not trying to fool anyone, if you want that tone your just gonna have to drop the money and get a Wal

• Members

I've spent more than $5K on basses, but no bass is $5K good. None. As one example, Geddy's Wall tone is not any 'better' than his Jazz tone, and in each case it's more him than the bass. I'm sure his Wal's cost just a bit more than that old jazz, but it isn't any better in his hands. Just different.

• Members

I've spent more than $5K on basses, but no bass is $5K good. None. As one example, Geddy's Wall tone is not any 'better' than his Jazz tone, and in each case it's more him than the bass. I'm sure his Wal's cost just a
bit
more than that old jazz, but it isn't any better in his hands. Just different.

My MTD 535 is $4k good, but yeah- $5k is just showin' off... ;) ;)

• Members

I've spent more than $5K on basses, but no bass is $5K good. None. As one example, Geddy's Wall tone is not any 'better' than his Jazz tone, and in each case it's more him than the bass. I'm sure his Wal's cost just a
bit

It obviously an opinionated subject...Ive never found any Geddy Lee tone particularly good...nor have I played a jazz bass I was particularly happy with. To me personally I think Wals have a stellar tone that cannot be replicated. 5K is ballz expensive tho. But it just has that exceptional midrange growl/punch that many feel is worth 5K...Cant say I blame them either lol

• Members

bit

Colin Edwin's Wal tone is better than anything that he used afterwards. He back to the Wals now and they sound great.

• Members

It was years ago, around 91-92, at some bass shop in LA, so I honestly don't remember the model. I do remember it was ridiculously expensive, played nice, seemed like a quality bass, but I never liked the tone.

I bet we played the same bass. I liked the tone, though. Played like buttah.

Archived