The Good, the bad and the low Bs?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go play a Spector 5, Musicman 5, MTD 5, Modulus 5, or Dingwall 5.

Then pick up a Fender 5.

If you can't tell the difference, gtfo.

And on top of that not all of them have great note articulation or pitch. Some just give you that "thud" which is usually not desirable.

• Members

And on top of that not all of them have great note articulation or pitch. Some just give you that "thud" which is usually not desirable.

That's true, and I've found strings can be a part of the problem. I had GHS Progressives on my Hanewinckel, and the B and E strings had exposed cores, and the definition wasn't so good IMO. It sounded hollow as I played up the fingerboard, and it wasn't easy to intonate properly. The Skjolds currently on the bass sound much better to me, and only the B-string is tapered (but not with an exposed core).

• Members

:o

Why do Fenders have such terrible low Bs?

Scale length?

I played an MIM Deluxe Jazz V for a few years and didn't think the B-string was terrible at all. The bass was upgraded with Bartolini pickups and a John East BTB-01 preamp, so maybe that helped a bit. Was it the tightest B-string? No, but it was playable fo sho.

• Members

THUD! eh?
;)

I did like the cheapie Spector 5 I played.

I love my Fender Jazz V, but that low string makes me want to throw it into a wood chipping machine....

9-hp-Gas-Wood-Chipper-Shredder-Pro-Serie

:o

Why do Fenders have such terrible low Bs?

Scale length?

I said Spector- not Euro, or Legend, or ReBop or whatev. :p Although all of those have decent B's, IME.

I dunno why Fender can't get it together. Other Fender-style basses (which there are MILLIONS of) seem to do it fine, like Lull and Sadowsky, but I dunno why they can't. I think they just threw an extra string on there and said "It's Fender, someone will buy it!" and forged on. I know some like 'em, but those are few and far between.

Scale length IME isn't as important as strings. DR's have awesome tension, and they're pretty much all I use.

• Members

You do, you just don't know it yet.

I told you knew the answer!

JoshuaTSP, what strings are you using? I tend to use strings with hex cores and slightly higher gauges, and the tension always seems fine to me.

I string my 4-string with DR Nickel-Plated Lo Riders, which have hex cores. I borrowed a buddy's 4-string Highway 1 J-Bass a few weeks ago. It was strung with DR Hi Beams (with round cores), and the tension was noticeably lower/softer IMO.

• Members

Scale length IME isn't as important as strings. DR's have awesome tension, and they're pretty much all I use.

Which DR's do you prefer? I want to change the strings on the Modulus and want to try a set. Can you tell me the difference between the hi-beams and the lowriders? Also what scale are you using? Sorry for the hijack.

• Members

JoshuaTSP, what strings are you using? I tend to use strings with hex cores and slightly higher gauges, and the tension always seems fine to me.

I string my 4-string with DR Nickel-Plated Lo Riders, which have hex cores. I borrowed a buddy's 4-string Highway 1 J-Bass a few weeks ago. It was strung with DR Hi Beams, and the tension was noticeably lower/softer IMO.

Hi Beams have a round core, and will feel less stiff than a comparable hex core string.

Scale length is something (among other things) that matters here, doesn't it? All of the 35" scale 5 string basses I have played/owned have had good B string response. Not the case with many of the 34"s I have experienced.

• Members

I said Spector- not Euro, or Legend, or ReBop or whatev. Although all of those have decent B's, IME.

I dunno why Fender can't get it together. Other Fender-style basses (which there are MILLIONS of) seem to do it fine, like Lull and Sadowsky, but I dunno why they can't. I think they just threw an extra string on there and said "It's Fender, someone will buy it!" and forged on. I know some like 'em, but those are few and far between.

How can the bass make so much difference?

I only bought my MIA Fender because it was the price of a MIM.......in a pwn shop. I love the feel, and the sound of the bass....but that dead clunky low B is pissing me off.

I had a set of EB .125 strings on there....which was okay, but the low B sounded floppy.

So I tried some taper wound .130 Fender strings.......they sound like bridge cables. The low B sounds worst with those on there.

I'm tuning up to C Standard...so my low B is a Low C. I'm thinking .130 might be too much tension. :D

I have a 5'er set of DR .130s, but I'm afraid they won't sound good no matter what I do. I'd hate to waste them.

Surprisingly enough, my Phillips Bulldog sounds the best out of all my 5'ers (Jazz V and USA PV Millennium)

• Members

Surprisingly enough, my Phillips Bulldog sounds the best out of all my 5'ers (Jazz V and USA PV Millennium)

Could it be the setup on those basses? The Millennium has a 35" scale, so the B-string on that bass should sound and feel pretty darn good IMO. There's something to be said for a good setup that fits your playing.

• Members

Which DR's do you prefer? I want to change the strings on the Modulus and want to try a set. Can you tell me the difference between the hi-beams and the lowriders? Also what scale are you using? Sorry for the hijack.

I used to like the LoRiders, b/c they have more of a round and gritty feel, but I've gravitated towards the HiBeam Nickels.

I think the Nickel is the biggest difference, as opposed to Stainless LR's or HB's.

The HiBeams feel a little more tense where the LR's are not as stiff, but both sound and feel great. I'd be happy using either, I just have gotten used to the HiBeams Nix, so that's what I'm sticking with for now.

• Members

Could it be the setup on those basses? The Millennium has a 35" scale, so the B-string on that bass should sound and feel pretty darn good IMO. There's something to be said for a good setup that fits your playing.

I reset up the PV after I bought it, but I haven't changed the strings yet. who knows what they are?

It's a great bass, but kinda flappy sounding on the low B.

Sadly, the Bulldog has the tightest low B, but the tone is honky in the mid range.

• Members

Does. Not. Compute. RSB must be smokin' something.
:lol:;)

Seriously, though, even DR says the Lo Riders "are a bit stiffer than Hi-Beams."

:idk::idk::idk:

I dunno man. I did side by side comparisons with both sets back when I had my Q5's, and the HiBeams were a lot more tense and snappy. I initially had them on my graphite-FB Q5, but after testing switched them to my chechen-FB Q5 b/c they were simply too bright and "ringy".

So take that DR! :p

(you already take all my money anyhow, so who cares!! ;))

The LR's definitely have a softer, more "relaxed" feel to them. Much easier for me to get some serious bends and chords on them as opposed to the HB's.

TBH, I haven't played a set of LR's in a long time. Maybe after I use this set of HB Nickels I have on the NS2, I'll give the LR's another shot.

Archived