35" scale 4 string?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

The Peavey G bass is 35 and the drop D could explode your face
:)
It's epic, right on par with my old 35" scale 4-string Modulus (m92).

I bet that with necks that stiff, they would have done just as well with a 34" scale. ;)

If you need to detune, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a heavier gauge of string, IMO. I'd wager that you'd see a much more noticeable improvement in string tension that way, as opposed to what you'd see from the longer scale length.

• Members

I bet that with necks that stiff, they would have done just as well with a 34" scale.
;)

If you need to detune, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a heavier gauge of string, IMO. I'd wager that you'd see a much more noticeable improvement in string tension that way, as opposed to what you'd see from the longer scale length.

It's possible but I wouldn't put money on it; while the B string on my Steinberger is pretty solid, I prefer the drop D with the M92-4 and the G-bass both by a pretty good margin. The Steinie's neck is probably far stiffer than either of those, due to being huge and fat by comparison. The G-bass's neck is so tiny I can wrap my hand entirely around the it :p

• Members

It's possible but I wouldn't put money on it; while the B string on my Steinberger is pretty solid, I prefer the drop D with the M92-4 and the G-bass both by a pretty good margin. The Steinie's neck is probably far stiffer than either of those, due to being huge and fat by comparison. The G-bass's neck is so tiny I can wrap my hand entirely around the it
:p

Size does not equal stiffness. ;)

Seems like the Modulus necks are stiffer than the Moses necks I've seen, especially when there's no truss rod involved.

• Members

The Peavey G-Bass, one of the most underrated and smokin' deals in bass guitar history (moreso than the fabled T-40 could ever hope to be) has a 35" scale on the four string model. I bought a NOS G-Bass for $350 a couple of years ago w/ohsc. It was a sweet instrument, but I just don't play four stringers anymore.

Archived