Kindle... anyone have one?

Dark Slide

• Members

I just picked one up for $40, which was too good a steal to pass up. I don't know much about them, but I read a LOT and it sounded nifty. I know there was a thread about them a while ago.

I thought that it sounded interesting too. It would be great for those on the move all the time, or for traveling. Kinda still looking at sony's version. Cool idea IMO.

As for the removing the book thingy, I'd never heard that, and if its true thats :freak:

• Members

I thought that it sounded interesting too. It would be great for those on the move all the time, or for traveling. Kinda still looking at sony's version. Cool idea IMO.

As for the removing the book thingy, I'd never heard that, and if its true thats
:freak:

It is true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

• Members

It is true.

Sounds like they're preserving their right to do it, to cover themselves against illegal distribution of e-books by third party suppliers violating copyrights, but will proceed much more cautiously in the future.

Basically, you gotta weigh your convenience for travel reading and avoiding the clutter / moving weight of paper books, versus the risk of this.

I don't have a Kindle, though I have thought about it. I'm really, really tired of moving tons of books 20+ times in the last 22 years...

• Members

you move every year?

:confused:

On average, almost... :(

Back in college and a looong time in gradual school, I used to have to move 2x year more than I care to remember, usually around summers. Especially if going overseas for languages/research.

Even when I rented one apartment for six years (end of grad school until employment), I landed one job elsewhere in the US for a year, apart from the spousal unit. Came back. Then found a job overseas while the spousal unit stayed home...then the next job (my current one) stuck me in yet another location in the US different from her.

We finally got rid of that apartment, but now I'm guaranteed one move every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future. :facepalm:

So, yeah. I LOATHE moving... :mad:

• Members

Well, I got it. It seems pretty sweet. WAY easier on the eyes than I thought it would be. Not like looking at a display screen at all.

Unfortunately the wireless coverage JUST misses my town, so I have to drive like 5 minutes up the road to get a connection. Hopefully they'll expand into this area soon enough. Otherwise I am looking forward to playing with it. Hopefully I can find some good books to try popping on it. Too bad there wasn't a way for you to get credit for books you already own. Oh well. $30 well spent.

• Members

Man, so many awesome books for free! Direct from Amazon.

War of the Worlds

The Time Machine

The Invisible Man

Frankenstein

Treasure Island

Frig... the list goes on and on. These free books are worth having it all by themselves, not to mention the entire Wizard of Oz series for $0.99.

Whoo hoo!

Course I'll be completely non-productive now because I'll have access to tons of books... but who cares!

• Members

The thing I like about it - I don't have one, but I'm drawn to one - is being able to have my magazine subscriptions on there.

Having just got rid of thousands of books I've accumulated over 20 years - all to my local library - I think it'd be kind of awesome to have one of these.

Where on earth did you get it for $40!?!

• Members

I've got one (first generation) and I really like it. I do pretty much all my reading on the subway to/from work, so having a book I can operate with one hand while I hang on for the ride makes reading in that situation easier.

And, yes, there are a LOT of free books (I've got 15 or so books on mine right now, and I think I paid for 5 of those at most) - they're all stuff that's from the public domain so you can get a good number of classics for free.

As for it connecting via wireless, mine connects to my local wireless setup in my apartment. If you've got that going on you shouldn't have to leave your house to get it to connect. I don't know if you've gone wireless or not.

I agree, the screen doesn't look like you're reading a handheld computer. It's very book-like. I said in the other thread that my biggest complaint with it is that the pictures don't look great on it. Other than that I've got no real complaints.

• Members

My wife and I have them. Just got them, already loaded a bunch of classics on it for free. Reading a book called 'This is your brain on music' or something like that, talks about the neurological aspect of sound and music. interesting..

Cool device, not a big reader, but it will change that a bit, and it makes traveling totally easy since you can have a ton of books on it at one time.

Archived