More Automobile Troubleshooting

Thunderbroom

• Members

Last week many members of the board predicted the cause of my van's cold running temperature as the thermostat. I picked the van up late last week.

Yesterday I was in school all day and parked downtown Chicago in a garage. When I was pulling out of the space there was some brief resistance when I put the van in drive. I travelled to my destination (setting up for a gig). In between sets I decided that I would move my van around closer to the load-in door to make load-out easier.

When I put the van in reverse, it felt as though the parking brake was engaged. Putting it in drive yielded the same result. Not being a mechanic coupled with it being below zero last night put me in a predicament. I knew I couldn't/shouldn't drive it. While I didn't check any other fluids, I did check the transmission and added about 8oz of fluid. My guitarist went way out of his way to take me home this morning.

I just dropped the key off to my local shop so that they can go get it.

Predictions?!?

• Members

Last week many members of the board predicted the cause of my van's cold running temperature as the thermostat. I picked the van up late last week.

Yesterday I was in school all day and parked downtown Chicago in a garage. When I was pulling out of the space there was some brief resistance when I put the van in drive. I travelled to my destination (setting up for a gig). In between sets I decided that I would move my van around closer to the load-in door to make load-out easier.

When I put the van in reverse, it felt as though the parking brake was engaged. Putting it in drive yielded the same result.
Not being a mechanic coupled with it being below zero last night put me in a predicament. I knew I couldn't/shouldn't drive it. While I didn't check any other fluids, I did check the transmission and added about 8oz of fluid. My guitarist went way out of his way to take me home this morning.

Predictions?!?

Could just be the cold weather effecting the tranny and engine oil. Could be a stuck emergency brake.

• Members

I would suspect you may have water in your brake lines causing your calipers to stick. That, or maybe your calipers are just failing. Do you notice a pull one way or the other when braking? Sometimes a spring will pop off the emergency brake causing that drum (or caliper) to engage. If the engine is revving freely and not moving, that is a different story. In that case, you may have a filter in the transmission clogged, or you may be low of transmission fluid, or, your transmission bands may be slipping.

• Members

When I put the van in reverse, it felt as though the parking brake was engaged. Putting it in drive yielded the same result.
Not being a mechanic coupled with it being below zero last night put me in a predicament. I knew I couldn't/shouldn't drive it. While I didn't check any other fluids, I did check the transmission and added about 8oz of fluid. My guitarist went way out of his way to take me home this morning.

Predictions?!?

what kind of vehicle is it ? brand,make,model,engine,options. Would help.

• Members

it'd be a 3.3 or a 3.8 More likely a 3.3

Either way. Low gear bind on the vans when cold is common. I'd let her warm up to Operating tempature and i bet she'll be just fine.

I did allow it to come up to operating temperature...twice...before I decided to get it towed. The operating condition I described in the first post occurred when it was both at starting and at operating temperature.

• Members

the caravan's transmission is one of the worst ever designed. in fact, it's probably in the top 3 repaired transmissions in the industry.

And being 10 years old? I predict a pretty large repair bill (2500-3500 to replace it).

and not stock, there is such a huge aftermarket for caravan parts because they were so incompetent the first time around.

and they never learned! They just kept making them!

• Members

IF it is the transmission I will likely let it die.

While this episode with the van has been inconvenient, it has been rare. The van, despite the troubles that others may have had with them, has been a good ride overall. I've enjoyed owning this one. It's hauled gear to gigs for years now and has been pretty dependent overall.

Since it's Sunday, I still haven't heard from the shop though they do work on Sundays. I'm just in a holding pattern right now.

Maybe it will be time for me to finally get that gently used Honda Element that I've wanted for years.

:idea:

• Members

IF it is the transmission I will likely let it die.

While this episode with the van has been inconvenient, it has been rare. The van, despite the troubles that others may have had with them, has been a good ride overall. I've enjoyed owning this one. It's hauled gear to gigs for years now and has been pretty dependent overall.

Since it's Sunday, I still haven't heard from the shop though they do work on Sundays. I'm just in a holding pattern right now.

Maybe it will be time for me to finally get that gently used Honda Element that I've wanted for years.

:idea:

HONDA ELEMENT,, NOOOOOOO!!!! Stay away from the light!!! Stay away from the light!! Repeat after me, I do not want a shoebox on wheels, I do not want a shoebox on wheels..... repeat as necessary.

• Members

HONDA ELEMENT,, NOOOOOOO!!!! Stay away from the light!!! Stay away from the light!! Repeat after me, I do not want a shoebox on wheels, I do not want a shoebox on wheels..... repeat as necessary.

I like the quirky look of the Element. This should make sense since I'm a fan of Bongo's as well.

• Members

caravan transmissions of that period have been known to approach behringer levels of quality. i know a guy on his 4th transmission in a 99. if you're going to just let the van die because of the trans dying, have fun car shopping :D

• Members

+1 on the transmission. Dodge is known for weak FWD transmissions in those years. You can get a valve sticking and have 2 gears engaged at the same time. They should tow it, do a full flush, and replace the filter.

If that doesn't work, jack up the license plate and put a new car under it.

• Members

Actually the 1997 up chrysler transmission have been vastly better then the pre 97 units. I seen loads of them with 150k+ on them working just fine. Now the years previous to 97 were a total and utter {censored}ing disaster. I'd bet the selenoid pack gasket has a cross leak.

• Members

Not sure how accurate Consumer Reports is but the '00 transmissions are rated as poor.

Horse{censored}. Consumer reports has been sucking Honda toyota dick for years. Not that honda or toyota build bad cars but chrysler transmission problems are greatly hyped. I know of many units with way more then 150K on them working just fine.

Archived