WOT: Aquaquarium hobbyists, how do you OFFICIALLY euthanize a fish

Brother Mango

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I had a whole pond full of goldfish, frozen solid, come back to life when the water thawed.

Maybe it's just carp that can survive this.

I know they were frozen solid because I went out there with a fire poker and chipped some of them out of the block of ice and threw em away.

Dad yelled at me and told me to leave em be - sure enough, a goodly amount of em survived it.

Ponds rarely freeze all the way to the bottom, and the fish don't survive if they do.

So, I'm saying that the ones that were well and truly frozen were no among those that survived.

• Members

In all seriousness, when I catch a big fish and it's flopping all over my boat and I need to get it under control I just pour a slug of rum down its gills. Does the trick every time

(Then I give it a good knock on the head with a small baseball bat and in the pan it goes)

fish.jpg

• Members

Put it in a container of water. Place said container in the freezer.

I had a sax player about 20 years ago who pulled a pirhanna out of his freezer when I went over to his house. Apparently it jumped up and bit onto his finger when he was feeding it and he flung it into the freezer as a punishment. It didn't come back either... :D

• Members

Probably shouldn't have laughed at that as hard as I did. If anything though she's probably a little too hot for me. That's why I had to lock her in.
Next step is to knock her up so she has to stick with me
:lol:

Good plan. But not always 100% successful. However that coupled with a beaten down self esteem = win

• Moderators

When that happened with one of our fish, we called the store and they said to find a hard floor and throw it hard against it. I did that. I either have a major league arm or the fish was a bit soft as the death was very quick and pieces of the fish were spread all over the kitchen floor after the throw. :lol:

• Members

My roommate has a betta that's in its final hours.

I've been researching and find the best way to euthanize a fish requires use of clove oil and vodka--neither of which we have at home and we don't plan on going to buy it.

What are some other humane ways of dealing with this?

put it in a baggie and then the freezer. the fast drop in temp will put him to sleep very fast.

• Members

Ponds rarely freeze all the way to the bottom, and the fish don't survive if they do.

So, I'm saying that the ones that were well and truly frozen were no among those that survived.

depends on how shallow it is but I am with you, I doubt any of them would survive being fully frozen

Archived