Work-Related: Do I Run? (Results Are In)

Thunderbroom

• Members

Personally I might wait. If you run and don't get it that might count against you in the future. I'd get your dissertation before running. But it also might be a while before you can get elected too so it's six in one, half dozen in the other.

• Members

Sounds like a lack of focus on your dissertation is the only downside of winning/running. Is that a real concern?

This is a huge concern. I'm in an accelerated doctoral program...3 years start to finish if you have your act together. If you want to drag it out for 10 years you can. I don't and I won't. I'm sitting pretty good right now and want to stay that way. For me, the dissertation is a one-shot deal as well since I'm on the hook for some significant student loans.

I'm just trying to ascertain if I can handle the new job and the workload of the dissertation. It took my last VP nine years to finish his doctoral program and dissertation.

• Members

If you get the position, would you be willing to drag out your dissertation? If you were happy enough to get the position would you possibly lose interest in getting the dissertation done sooner rather than later? ....and would you be bothered by that if you were happy in the position?

• Members

Sounds to me like probably no. This job is a temptation leading you to stress and overextend yourself. I did undergraduate full time with a full time job for awhile, and if I could handle it if I had discipline but it didn't make me a happy person.

I've never written a dissertation though, but it sounds hard.

Can you attempt to estimate the hours per day you need to finish your dissertation and the hours you'd have to dedicate to this new job? What would you have left?

• Members
I am not willing to drag out my dissertation. If I decide to run it will be because I believe that I can do both. This position is a wise long-term career move that will involve me taking a pay cut in the process. I'm happy where I am and can likely be happy anywhere.

Nobody here can tell you whether or not to run but it sure sounds like you want to. What's the wife say? After all, she's the one who is most affected by your decision.

• Members

Nobody here can tell you whether or not to run but it sure sounds like you want to. What's the wife say? After all, she's the one who is most affected by your decision.

I do want to run but have to make sure, as best I can, that it's the right one. We have many qualified folks in our department. I'll talk with my wife over the weekend, but in the end she'll tell me to follow my own path. When I do, regardless of the decision, she will back my decision.

• Members
I'll talk with my wife over the weekend, but in the end she'll tell me to follow my own path. When I do, regardless of the decision, she will back my decision.

Ya, that's pretty much how my wife is too. It's really cool but I have to be really careful that I'm not taking advantage of it. Sounds to me like you've got a lot on your plate already, any chance of taking on less of a teaching load if you get elected? Is that up for consideration?

Archived