Work-Related: Do I Run? (Results Are In)

Thunderbroom

• Members
Sounds to me like probably no. This job is a temptation leading you to stress and overextend yourself. I did undergraduate full time with a full time job for awhile, and if I could handle it if I had discipline but it didn't make me a happy person.

i was doing that my senior year: 8-hours at work 4 days a week 14 hours of class the other three plus hours of studio time every night :facepalm: toss in a brother shipped out to war and roomate/best friend who fell back into his heroin addiction and i was skirting the edge of a complete break down.

after calling that first semester a wash i quit the job, moved out, did the best work of my life and realized at graduation that i wouldn't have achieved nearly as much as a did without that "wasted" semester driving me.

• Members

I've ignored every post above to give you the best advice I can give you after being in a similar position:

Run for it if you feel like you will regret not running, even if you aren't completely set on the position. If you don't get it then you haven't lost anything - if you do get it then it's a bonus and you will just have to put in the extra work.

I ran for president of one of the big student unions on campus last year, if I didn't do it I would have been kicking myself because the guy I don't like got in - but I gave it my best shot so I have no regrets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The election starts this Thursday afternoon and goes until Monday (if necessary). There were four candidates but one dropped out. To win, a candidate must get 2/3 of the vote.

We had to submit written answers to questions posed by members of the department. This Thursday afternoon we will have an open forum before department members can vote. I've refrained from politicking and this may keep me from winning. I just haven't been able to bring myself to go into someone's office, close the door, and start whispering which is the way that this is done around here. I've clearly stated my position on the issues that are important to department members and will let my candidacy hinge on those answers.

• Members

I've refrained from politicking and this may keep me from winning. I just haven't been able to bring myself to go into someone's office, close the door, and start whispering which is the way that this is done around here. I've clearly stated my position on the issues that are important to department members and will let my candidacy hinge on those answers.

Don't stoop to that level. Good luck man.

• Members

The good thing is that my office mate won. He's a great guy and will do a wonderful job...probably better than me so it works out okay.

I actually feel a little relieved as I can put my nose to the grindstone on my research and focus on my future.

Archived