entire Them Crooked Vultures show

lug

• Members

I may be shot down for saying this, but as much as I like them I honestly think this is the main reason Them Crooked Vultures are as big as they are.

Dave Grohl definitely brings a demographic to the band, and a certain visibility. There's no denying it--he's the highest-profile person of the band currently. John Paul Jones is no slouch either. :) Or Josh, for that matter. Each brings a certain demographic, from a marketing standpoint.

• Members

Dave Grohl definitely brings a demographic to the band, and a certain visibility. There's no denying it--he's the highest-profile person of the band currently. John Paul Jones is no slouch either.
:)
Or Josh, for that matter. Each brings a certain demographic, from a marketing standpoint.

Yeah, this is true, they're all big hitters.

I just think that even if Grohl was playing guitar and/or singing they wouldn't be as big. I've spoken to some people about this and they've said "Yeah but it's John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin, they were huge!" or the same about Josh Homme but I don't think it's just on names alone

I mean JPJ is awesome but his solo stuff was never particularly big. Same goes for Josh Homme and The Eagles Of Death Metal who did OK but weren't massive.

If you think about it Dave Grohl is a legendary drummer but you very very rarely get to see him play drums anymore so for a lot of people I think that's a big draw.

Just my opinion.

• Members

Yeah, this is true, they're all big hitters.

I just think that even if Grohl was playing guitar and/or singing they wouldn't be as big. I've spoken to some people about this and they've said "Yeah but it's John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin, they were huge!" or the same about Josh Homme but I don't think it's just on names alone

I mean JPJ is awesome but his solo stuff was never particularly big. Same goes for Josh Homme and The Eagles Of Death Metal who did OK but weren't massive.

If you think about it Dave Grohl is a legendary drummer but you very very rarely get to see him play drums anymore so for a lot of people I think that's a big draw.

Just my opinion.

Don't disagree there either. I think drums is Dave's strongest point. There are parallels to be made between him and the late great John Bonham as well. Both are serious heavy-hitters with solid timing. Watching Dave with Them Crooked Vultures, I can't imagine him missing a beat under mortar attack. He's just intensely focused. He doesn't overplay. He's a viceral drummer. I see Bonham in the same light. It's no wonder that John Paul Jones seems to be having a mad-happy time playing with TCV. He seems at-home with them.

• Members

I was pretty impressed with the entire show...John Paul Jones didn't try to overplay but also didn't give the impression he was grasping at straws, seemed to be on top of the entire program...I've never seen Dave on drums and not thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so this was another treat. The other guys I have absolutely NO knowledge of, so this was a christening moment for me into this style of music. Not sure what category we'd log this into, but I'm sure "metal" is lurking on the fringes? Whatever, I sat pretty-much spellbound through the entire hour, and came out the other side with a healthy respect for the show, even if I'm not a huge enough fan of the guitar/lyrics to go out and get the CD...

• Members

I was pretty impressed with the entire show...John Paul Jones didn't try to overplay but also didn't give the impression he was grasping at straws, seemed to be on top of the entire program...I've never seen Dave on drums and not thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so this was another treat. The other guys I have absolutely NO knowledge of, so this was a christening moment for me into this style of music. Not sure what category we'd log this into, but I'm sure "metal" is lurking on the fringes? Whatever, I sat pretty-much spellbound through the entire hour, and came out the other side with a healthy respect for the show, even if I'm not a huge enough fan of the guitar/lyrics to go out and get the CD...

Josh Homme is rad. Queens of the Stone Age is one of my favorite band of the 00s, Kyuss basically started an entire genre of rock music. I'm not particularly into Eagles of Death Metal, but they're OK. Anyway, check those bands out if you haven't already.

I haven't watched the show yet, but as much as I want to get into TCV, I just can't. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. :idk:

• Members

Josh Homme is rad. Queens of the Stone Age is one of my favorite band of the 00s, Kyuss basically started an entire genre of rock music. I'm not particularly into Eagles of Death Metal, but they're OK. Anyway, check those bands out if you haven't already.

I haven't watched the show yet, but as much as I want to get into TCV, I just can't. Something about them rubs me the wrong way.
:idk:

Oh, I totally get the guy's talent, he's singing a musical line at times with a completely different syncopation in the guitar part he's playing, and staying in tune on both counts, and both parts are mother-{censored}ers to do in their own right! I was seriously impressed, just am not familiar with the singing and playing styles, so have to dig a little further to get the "hook" and settle in for more...

• Members

It was good. THe playing (and singing) was spotless, but IMHO the mix was too drum/cymbal heavy. I understand Grohl is the draw, but why jack up a mix for that. Often it was just too busy, and without a mix that was pleasing to my ear, it was distracting and made the whole thing sound like a bunch of noise.

Great to see JPJ, still solid and jammin' as ever. Wasn't really aware of the other guys or who they are/were, won't likely go googling them anytime soon. They are talented, that is for sure. Not moved up my list of favorites.

Thanks for the link, though. It was nice to get a fair chance to check them out (Studio work is not fair in the least....).

• Members

The bald guy plays like a motherf***er... some of the licks he was playing while singing looked pretty intense.

On the not-so-related note. I'm watching Zohan... Dave Mathews acting as a redneck saying "Im gonna blow up these puppies and we'll all go to hell together" while holding a cage full of puppies and a bomb is just classic.....

What were we talking about?

Archived