Thudmaker, GM and other Danelectro fans

lonerstoenr

• Members

Have any of you guys played the new 58 longhorn re-issue?

If so does it sound anything remotely close to this?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

If so, where's a good place to look for deals on Danelectro stuff? There are literally NO stores that stock it here.

If not, do I need to attempt to find an original?

• Members

That guy really has a lot of sound in his hands. He makes that Dano sound like a Jazz Bass.

There's a shop here in Durham that has one. I can't get it to sound like your clip, but I can get it to sound like this clip:

For $349 new, that's, in my opinion, right on the edge of being a good price. One went in mint condition last week for about $275. That's a deal.

• Members

i haven't played the newest reissues yet but, judging by this :

[YOUTUBE]ZKPUvcejSD0[/YOUTUBE]

they sound pretty close.I would think you could pick up a reissue and at the very least put in some good electronics and have something that was really close to the vibe of an old one.

That being said, if you can get the scratch together for an old one, they do have alot more personality than the ri's i've played ( at the cost of more potential playability problems).

• Moderators

Sorry, I can't help you out, LS. I don't have a local shop that is a Dano dealer. I'll defer to GM as far as the sound. If you want a reissue, I would definitely wait and buy it used after someone else takes the hit on depreciation. Take a look at Jerry Jones, if you really dig the Danos. I have to assume that these are of significantly better quality, but I can't personally speak to that. Maybe someone else has experience with those and could chime in.

• Members

they sound pretty close.I would think you could pick up a reissue and at the very least put in some good electronics and have something that was really close to the vibe of an old one.

That being said, if you can get the scratch together for an old one, they do have alot more personality than the ri's i've played ( at the cost of more potential playability problems).

I didn't want to pipe in with my opinion, because I know there are some serious dano lovers on this forum, but I didn't care for the couple I picked up and played. They just have a "cheap" feel to them.

• Members

I didn't want to pipe in with my opinion, because I know there are some serious dano lovers on this forum, but I didn't care for the couple I picked up and played. They just have a "cheap" feel to them.

That's where the charm of Danelectros comes from. It's also why they sound the way they do.

It's kind of like the entry level Hofner Beatle Basses; much of the sound comes from the fact that it's a lot like playing a cigar box.

I'm sure the Jerry Jones Danos are far better in construction and materials, but in my opinion, they miss the point of a Dano.

• Members

http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dead_on_58_longhorn_bass.htm

This soundclip (the jazz one) sounded good too.

TM: the problem with finding a used item is that there aren't any in Australia. I could wait around for an older one to pop up, as I'm sure there are SOME Dano's around. But that might take a LONG time.

Perry: I know, it's part of the vibe I guess. However, not having the opportunity to try one before hand, well, maybe I won't like the cheap feel.

• Members

http://www.thomann.de/gb/danelectro_dead_on_58_longhorn_bass.htm

This soundclip (the jazz one) sounded good too.

TM: the problem with finding a used item is that there aren't any in Australia. I could wait around for an older one to pop up, as I'm sure there are SOME Dano's around. But that might take a LONG time.

Perry: I know, it's part of the vibe I guess. However, not having the opportunity to try one before hand, well, maybe I won't like the cheap feel.

Ya know though, their rarity in OZ would probably mean that it would be pretty easy to turn over if you didn't care for it. :idk:

• Members

I was gonna buy one a few months ago. Decent bass, but not a "dead-on" re-issue. One of the things I expected was that it would have the wood concentric knobs. It had plastic ones that functioned extremely poorly (could not tell what did what, I think this particular one may have been wired wrong)

It gave an almost Hofner-ish tone. The fit and finsish were great but the very thin ground wire wraped around one of the bridge studs made me nervous. Cool, if for a few bucks cheaper.

Archived