Coffee/Coffee Pot Suggestion

Thunderbroom

• Members

I've got an old Mr. Coffee at home and I never seem to be able to brew a cup of coffee that tastes as good as the coffee that I get at my local gas station. I even use the same beans. I've bought the whole bean and also the ground. It never tastes as good and is never consistent.

I'm the only regular coffee drinking in my home and was wondering if any of you were familiar with the Senseo units. My understanding is the coffee is premeasured per cup in a "pod". This seems like it would provide me with a consistent, good cup of coffee.

Thoughts?

• Members

I worked for a company that went to a variety and single cup brewing. They tasted great, but the cost due to packaging was exorbitantly higher. I've had a Mr. Coffee for about 15 years and my wife decided it was time for its retirement. We just purchased a Cuisinart 12 cup brewer with a thermal carafe. I also bought the $10 gold tone reusable filter and the coffee is fantastic! The caraffe keeps the coffee steaming hot for hours and it tastes as fresh as when it was brewed as there is no hot plate to keep cooking it from the bottom. This tends to bring out more bitter overtones as it heats... :2c:

dtc-975bkn.jpg

Oh, and you can make as many or few cups as you want. You just have to measure out your grounds and there is a glass tube with a floater on the side to tell you how many cups of water is in the tank...

• Members

Do American's not drink Espresso coffees? Is it all just perculated?

Most people who brew it at home go percolated, yes.

I drink a lot of espresso-based coffee drinks (yes, I'm a latte liberal, shoot me), but I get them from coffee shops. I ought to get a home espresso machine. :idea:

• Members

We have the $50 Mr. Coffee machine. It tastes much, much, much better than the cheap-o Mr. Coffee. We had one that broke and I replaced it with the cheap-o. Went back and replaced the model that had broken. We also use the filter for the water.

Maxwell House Master Blend again tastes mighty fine.

We threw away the relatively new Mr. Coffee cheap-o because we did want to subject anyone to that bitter taste .

• Members

I have friends who rave about those Senseo/Tassimo doohickeys. Typically very consistent, and easy. Though my friend's family just had to deal with a bad batch of coffee (multiple boxes with the same batch number), which was a pain.

I just can't get behind them myself. I enjoy the process of selecting my beans, grinding and brewing in the fashion I feel like that day. The fewer steps between roaster and my press the better. And I typically try to stick to fair trade beans when possible.

I love the concept of the percolator that Modman posted. Hot plate = crap.

Do American's not drink Espresso coffees? Is it all just perculated?

All kinds of (North) Americans drink espresso coffees, just not typically at home. A decent espresso machine is a significant investment, and for most coffee drinkers the cost/benefit just doesn't work out.

I'd love to have a small, decent espresso machine to play around with, but for now I'll stick with my moka pots and presses.

• Members

I have a Krups machine. It makes great coffee.

I also have an espresso machine from Krups. It makes great espresso, as good as anything I can get in a restaurant.

Of course, even with great machines you only get as good as you give. So aside from the Lavazza espresso (which is great), I don't buy canned coffee. Maxwell House, ChockFull, Yuban, etc... it's all crap. Smells good when you pop the can, but the coffee is awful.

Dunkin'Donuts coffee is good, and I get gourmet coffees from a couple of local joints that grind it fresh for me. Tried my own small grinder, but found it a PITA without offering any real benefit; you'd need a big-ass grinder to do it right, and I don't need to spend hundreds on a coffe grinder.

• Members

I worked for a company that went to a variety and single cup brewing. They tasted great, but the cost due to packaging was exorbitantly higher. I've had a Mr. Coffee for about 15 years and my wife decided it was time for its retirement. We just purchased a
Cuisinart 12 cup brewer with a thermal carafe.
I also bought the $10 gold tone reusable filter and the coffee is fantastic! The caraffe keeps the coffee steaming hot for hours and it tastes as fresh as when it was brewed as there is no hot plate to keep cooking it from the bottom. This tends to bring out more bitter overtones as it heats... :2c:

dtc-975bkn.jpg

Oh, and you can make as many or few cups as you want. You just have to measure out your grounds and there is a glass tube with a floater on the side to tell you how many cups of water is in the tank...

I have a Black and Decker maker similar to yours. It was $30.00 at Target and makes a decent cup of coffee. I also use a gold filter. Preheating the carafe with hot water gets the coffee a little hotter. I could do without the timer gizmo as I never use it.

41YR3BPYDKL._SS500_.jpg

• Members

The best tasting coffee you can make (IMHO) is French Press. If you are the only coffee drinker in the house, it makes sense to use one of these and BELIEVE me, it's WAY better than drip. You'll need a grinder, set to coarse and a means of boiling the water then...

Fresh ground beans (coarse) + hot (close to boiling water)+ 6 min = the best coffee you can drink.

All for about $20?

frenchpress.jpg

Here's an article about the advantages...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4806209_advantages-of-french-press-coffee.html

Enjoy. Let me know once you brew your first cup, you'll never go back.

• Members

The key to good coffee is cleanliness of materials. Run some CLR through your pot and rinse as it says... Then rinse a couple more times. You'll be amazed at the difference. I have a Mr Coffee and it makes great coffee.

• Members

I use a Bunn machine. This is the only machine that ever got the temperature for brewing coffee right. When you buy your beans, if they don't look oily, then they are likely stale. Most grocery stores sell stale coffee. Find a local roaster, or show up at Starbucks when a new shipment comes in and buy it out of a new box. You might be surprised at how good Starbucks coffee can be when you brew it yourself, and don't let it sit on a warmer all day.

Archived