Are there any drawbacks to a short-scale bass?

Glenn F

• Members

Hey there,

Sorry, but the search isn't working. I am thinking of getting a short-scale bass, possibly a Fender Mustang, or a Gibson SG. Any typical problems that come with the shorter scale?

Thanks in advance!

Glenn

• Moderators

Short scale = fewer harmonics and more thump.

Short scale = lower tension for a given gauge string, which means you may need too really jack up the gauge to get the tension you want.

34" was an arbitrary default so there isn't anything special about it other than it being a traditional style/sound and easier to find appropriate strings.

• Members

Yeah, drop-tuning may be an issue, but I've heard others overcome it with higher gauge strings... Foutunately, my band stays in standard tuning... Even though I've always had a fondness for the shorties, normally, I stick with standard scale (mostly because I'm large boned :D and the smaller basses tend to look funky on me)

For years I have gone back and forth with a Dano Longhorn, both as a main gigger as well as a third-set reliever... However, some recent funkiness in my upper back and left arm/shoulder has me reaching for my Musicmaster over everything else... Seriously, since 2/20 I have not been able to play my 34" basses...

That being said, I'm not necessarily missing them either... I recently had rewired the Musicmaster back to it's stock pickup, CTS pots and Orange Drop Cap. Other than a slight reduction in output, it's not giving anything up to it's bigger brothers! One gig and three loud jams in and I am way happy that I've kept this guy around!

The Dano is another 'surprise' bass... It's always had it's own sound, and while not for everything, it totally excells at blues and roots! Weighs next to nothing, easy on the shoulder, and IMO, looks cool... I only have an issue with it when sitting down, as it's a little funky in positioning on the leg, (due in no small part to my 'stomach-bone')...

Lucky you, I just got done taking advantage of the bright overcast to get some decent outdoor shots! Enjoy...

'78 Musicmaster

78_musicmaster_1.jpg

'00 Dano Longhorn

00_longhorn_1.jpg

-robert

• Members

Well, i have a short scale, and it sucks to try and use flatwounds on it. The low E aint got no presence

Seriously?? I'm using Chrome Short Scales on both of mine and have never had that problem in the slightest!

-robert

• Members

I find it uncomfortable to switch between short scale and a normal bass. I have to pay way more attention to my fretting hand than I am used to. That is the main reason I didn't keep the one I had a few years ago, I just never wanted to play it.

• Members

I find it uncomfortable to switch between short scale and a normal bass. I have to pay way more attention to my fretting hand than I am used to. That is the main reason I didn't keep the one I had a few years ago, I just never wanted to play it.

My Mustang was my only bass for many years. After getting use to 34" scale, I make the transition between short and long without thinking about it.

• Members

I've never owned short scale basses, but I love Mustangs every time I play them...just waiting for one to pop up on the cheap. Only prob I see with them is less pick-up options, for those who are always looking for a diff sound. That of course only effects Mustangs, not short scales as a whole.

• Members

I use a short scale bass with 0.045" strings, and don't have any problems with the strings being too loose. I do like an old school, heavy on the fundamental type of sound, so I probably don't notice the loss of the upper harmonics. For what I do (Folk and Country), the short scale bass works well.

• Members

Are they specially designed for shorties?

Cos i tried a roundwound, and it was like "there it is"...

How much u pay for them?

Other than the scale length being different, these short scale Chromes appear to be the same as these long scale Chromes... Tension chart reads pretty differently (so much so that I would expect to feel a great bit of difference) but I really don't notice it that much... I don't have a super light right-hand by any means... Same strings do feel a bit tighter on the Longhorn

The E string is very present throughout on both basses... This is the first set of flats that the Musicmaster has worn (they've been on there for about a year), but the Dano has been through many sets with nary an issue... Maybe you got a bad set? What did you have on there?

FWIW, the prices on both of the sets linked are a bit less than I remember paying last time... Quite a bit, in fact...

-robert

• Members

Well, i have a short scale, and it sucks to try and use flatwounds on it. The low E aint got no presence

Wow, that hasn't been my experience at all. I put Thomastik-Infeld JF324

nickle short scale jazz flats on mine and have been delighted with the presence and clarity playing on the low E string. They are a little pricey, but I consider it money well spent.

BTW, I also put them on my Gretsch Electromatic Junior which is also a great little short scale bass with a surprisingly hot pick-up (surprised me, anyway).

And you can pick one up for under $200.

• Members

I've never owned short scale basses, but I love Mustangs every time I play them...just waiting for one to pop up on the cheap. Only prob I see with them is less pick-up options, for those who are always looking for a diff sound. That of course only effects Mustangs, not short scales as a whole.

Mine is noisy too....Not overwhelming or anything more like a slight annoyance when it's quiet. Sounds like static crackling when I touch the pick guard.

Somebody told me that it's some kind of shielding issue with the electronics.

Archived