Stevie Ray Vaughan...

bassthumpintwin

• Members

I recently had the opportunity to play with a guitarist that was every bit as talented as SRV. He didn't seem to 'work' at playing... the music just flowed from this guys hands.

Yes he was. How could you say not? You have no idea who I might have an opportunity to play with here & there.

And when he would play SRV (like Rivieria Paradise above) it was like you could close your eyes and he could be SRV.

I do. He's the only guitarist that would regularily stop me in my bass playin tracks just to listen to HIM play. And I've played with some damn good guitarists over my time so that's saying something. He was just that jaw droppingly good.

But truth be told, he reminded me more Ry Cooder than SRV though.

Don't be such a dickhead. You don't know me or who I might play with. One of the advantages of being where I am is there are occasionally a few retired pro musicians that have 'made it' floating thru on their big yachts that still want to play for just beer & funzies. Most notably, Gregg Rolie - the keyboardist for (early) Journey/Santana, Dennis Wolfe - Songwriter/guitarist for Jerry Jeff Walker (and another 70's 'one hit wonder' band he won't name that made him enough $$$ to buy an island in Belize that he ended up losing due to the easily available/cheap coke down here).

And I just might have some tracks for you later. We're just starting/looking how to collaberate online. You'll be the first to know if/when we put something together.

Not buying it. You can't just waltz into a thread about SRV and casually say that you just jammed with a dude every bit as good as him and not cause my ears to perk up. That's a hefty, hefty, hefty claim.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not buying it. You can't just waltz into a thread about SRV and casually say that you just jammed with a dude every bit as good as him and not cause my ears to perk up. That's a hefty, hefty, hefty claim.

You don't know who he's played with. I'm sure there are a handful of guys who'd blow you away more who ultimately go undiscovered. Just because SRV was famous, doesn't mean he's the best. He just had the drive and the luck (backed with talent) to get a record deal.

• Members

Imagine this...A thread about Jaco. Somebody comes in and says "I don't get it" and he's so "derivative", but then proceeds to casually announce that he was just jammin' with a guy who was just as good. How quick would the explosion happen?

• Members

I dunno... I know it's heretical but I never really 'got' SRV. His stuff just all seemed so derivative to me. Like I'd already heard every song he played before.

I agree with this.

But SRV got me to listen to guys like Albert King in the first place.

IT was only then did I realize: "hey, he's not doing anything new - he just made it popular"

• Members

but then proceeds to casually announce that he was just jammin' with a guy who was just as good. How quick would the explosion happen?

Good has nothing to do with whether or not the music is derivative.

In fact, derivative isn't necessarily a putdown - it's just an observation.

• Members

My favorite guitarist ever. The main inspiration I picked up a stringed instrument at all.

I have some cool SRV merch from back in the day. My old yearbook teacher's ex husband used to work for Sony when SRV and DT were signed to them and I have all this old promo material.

Definitely one of my idols.

• Members
:D

I the last couple of weeks, I've read that one poster knows a guitarist who's better than David Gilmour.

Now here's one who says his guitarist is just as good as SRV.

:D:D:D

I must be playing with the wrong guitarists.

• Members

SRV is widely regarded as one of the greatest blues guitar players that ever roamed. If you write him off and claim that you just jammed with a dude that was just as good, I want some proof.

I don't think it's writing him off at all.

There used to be a whole slew of convincing SRV clones in rotation.

It's easier to imitate than innovate, and technically what SRV did wasn't very demanding, relatively speaking of course.

• Members
That reasoning is flawed. By that he's saying that pretty much every professional classical orchestra/symphony player has no real talent. BS. And anyone who doubts Stevie's talent is about as musically ignorant as they could be. That statement is beyond stupid. Talent =/= originality, or style. It's simply the tools used to employ your originalty and stlye.

Well said.

I mean seriously, {censored} that Chopin cover band! :D

• Members

I don't know why you keep insisting that I'm 'writing him off'. Clearly SRV was an exceptionally skilled blues git player. I just never got into him. Like I said, it just seemed like most everything he did I'd heard before.

But that I don't care for SRV as much as you think I should is your problem, not mine.

If it'll make you feel any better I will say SRV certainly had his own signature sound that a lot of guitards try to copy to this day and he certainly helped revive the blues genre in the 80's (along with Albert Collins & Rober Cray). This in an era of Phil Collins, Wham, Huey Lewis & the News, and Bruce Springsteen (another I don't get the fervor over).

I'd just prefer to listen to Ry Cooder, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, etc. thank you.

And since it such fun lemme goad you a bit more. At the time, that guitar player I've referred to thought he was off his game. I just got an email where he says "The speed / accuracy lost in my hiatus before playing with you is starting to return".

How bout them apples? :poke:

• Members
I don't know why you keep insisting that I'm 'writing him off'. Clearly SRV was an exceptionally skilled blues git player. I just never got into him. Like I said, it just seemed like most everything he did I'd heard before.

But that I don't care for SRV as much as you think I should is your problem, not mine.

If it'll make you feel any better I will say SRV certainly had his own signature sound that a lot of guitards try to copy to this day and he certainly helped revive the blues genre in the 80's (along with Albert Collins & Rober Cray). This in an era of Phil Collins, Wham, Huey Lewis & the News, and Bruce Springsteen (another I don't get the fervor over).

I'd just prefer to listen to Ry Cooder, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, etc. thank you.

And since it such fun lemme goad you a bit more. At the time, that guitar player I've referred to thought he was off his game. I just got an email where he says "The speed / accuracy lost in my hiatus before playing with you is starting to return".

I like the way you think: agreed 100% :thu:

Not sure why people have such a hard time believing that an unknown player can be technically adept: hero worship, perhaps?

BTW, kickass that you've jamed with Gregg F*** Rolie. :thu::thu::thu:

• Members
One my favorite guitarists of all time! People try to copy him, but they ALL fail.

You got that right Blue Dog!!

And for people who say they just don't get it?. That's right, you don't have a soul so you just don't get it.

:p

Damn!! Lightning just hit about a block from me!! :eek:

• Members

I seriously question your ability to judge talent. Just to give you some food for thought, Eric Clapton said he wanted to tour with SRV (which he was doing at the time of his death) because, and I quote, "SRV is the best guitar player in the world right now".

:blah:

• Members

I never got into Stevie's albums, but I saw his first tour in a room about the size of my living room.

On the other side, I saw his last, or second to last, gig a few days before he died - and the moving words he spoke to us turned out to be his soliloquy.

Profound life events that I'll never forget. RIP Stevie.

• Members

Ugh, can't stand SRV, give me Rory Gallagher any day of the week.. Now THERE was probably one of the greatest blues guitarists who ever lived.. I'm always amazed at how few US guys have never heard of him though.

Archived