Stevie Ray Vaughan...

bassthumpintwin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ugh, can't stand SRV, give me Rory Gallagher any day of the week.. Now THERE was probably one of the greatest blues guitarists who ever lived.. I'm always amazed at how few US guys have never heard of him though.

I saw him in GW a few mo's ago and looked him up. Hessa' okay, but no SRV... :cop::cop:
Also you gotta remember, what Hendrix did with Van Halen soon after did for rock guitar, SRV did for blues- which provided a springboard for a total renaissance of the genre. Also was a huge influence on guys today like the obvious Kenny Wayne Shepherd all the way to John Mayer and Brent Hinds of Mastodon.
His touch and timing and feel is darn near unmatched.

• Moderators

What does that even mean? I'm sure you've heard him and knew it.

I may have heard him, but I've never known it. I've only ever seen his name on message boards and I've had one friend bring him up in conversation a couple of years ago. I'll have to check him out later today.

• Members

I may have heard him, but I've never known it. I've only ever seen his name on message boards and I've had one friend bring him up in conversation a couple of years ago. I'll have to check him out later today.

You can't be serious.

If you are, buy the album "In Step" and listen to the whole thing. If you don't think it kicks major ass, I'll paypal you your money back.

• Moderators
You can't be serious.

If you are, buy the album "In Step" and listen to the whole thing. If you don't think it kicks major ass, I'll paypal you your money back.

I just listened to a couple of the youtube clips above. It's not my thing at all. I have no knock on SRV, and certainly not on his musicianship, but the style is :blah: to me. I can't imagine wanting to listen to it, even if it is the best possible performance of this style of music.

• Members
I just listened to a couple of the youtube clips above. It's not my thing at all. I have no knock on SRV, and certainly not on his musicianship, but the style is
:blah:
to me. I can't imagine wanting to listen to it, even if it is the best possible performance of this style of music.

You seem to be a patient and nuanced fellow. I've heard you talk about going back to a four string excusively when you realized that adding a 5th string didn't really create the tonal options, you did. Going to a blues structure is a similiar thing. Everybody plays the same song, so it's up to the individual to make it theirs. It's like The Aristocrats joke in that way. You're letting me down here. Buy "In Step" and listen to the whole thing. If you don't think it kicks major ass, I'll paypal you your money back.

• Members
I just listened to a couple of the youtube clips above. It's not my thing at all. I have no knock on SRV, and certainly not on his musicianship, but the style is
:blah:
to me. I can't imagine wanting to listen to it, even if it is the best possible performance of this style of music.

give "couldn't stand the weather" a listen....:cool:

• Moderators

You seem to be a patient and nuanced fellow. I've heard you talk about going back to a four string excusively when you realized that adding a 5th string didn't really create the tonal options, you did. Going to a blues structure is a similiar thing. Everybody plays the same song, so it's up to the individual to make it theirs. It's like The Aristocrats joke in that way. You're letting me down here. Buy "In Step" and listen to the whole thing. If you don't think it kicks major ass, I'll paypal you your money back.

I'm in. Not today, but I'll grab it soon.

Also, I have a fairly large blues collection, but it is all pre-1970.

• Members
Not even close.

Johnson and Vaughn both have too-clean, thin, trebly tone. Just don't dig it.

Good blues has fat, dirty, and somewhat sloppy tone and both of these guys fail miserably at it... Along with most soloist type "blues" players.

Of course you'll think I'm wrong and that's fine. Everyone in here does, anyway. :idk:

• Members

Johnson's tone thin and trebly? That I have to totally disagree with. If anything, he sounds like he could be using dual humbuckers compared to just about every other strat player I've heard. His tone seems somoehow beyond even the stratocaster itself, and NO one else can sound like that. IMO of course...;)

• Members
Johnson's tone thin and trebly? That I have to totally disagree with. If anything, he sounds like he could be using dual humbuckers compared to just about every other strat player I've heard. His tone seems somoehow beyond even the stratocaster itself, and NO one else can sound like that. IMO of course...
;)

3:00 in is when he actually plays with some disto...
[YOUTUBE]VnqpOFcBiMM[/YOUTUBE]

vs

[YOUTUBE]OqQOaA2LPRo[/YOUTUBE]

Kinda like Carlin's New York (JH) vs California (EJ) bit to me. But Eric Johnson is another one of those soloist types that comes up with the same cheese as all the other soloist types.

• Members

Good blues has fat, dirty, and somewhat sloppy tone and both of these guys fail miserably at it... Along with most soloist type "blues" players.

Of course you'll think I'm wrong and that's fine. Everyone in here does, anyway.
:idk:

Not me... I'm with you in liking blues better when it's dirt gritty, fat & slidey. Anything BUT clean (ala Chicago style or Delta finger pickin).

I guess that's why I'm more a Ry Cooder, Buddy Guy, Lightnin Hopkins, Elmore James kinda blues fan.

Archived