Stevie Ray Vaughan...

bassthumpintwin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can you give me an example of him being a good guitarist?

"Good" is a relative term.

Can we provide a clip of him using jazz structures and other {censored} the schooled guys do that a lot of you consider necessary to be a "good" player? Probably not.

Can we provide eleventy billion clips of him making interesting music and/or rocking his ass off? Yup.

• Members
This thread is reminding me of the (in my mind) famous quote from Ad Rock about Soul Asylum, "they are the epitome of why white people suck."

So you're saying white people should not play the blues? That's pretty racist and you should ban yourself.

j/k :)

Seriously it does seem there is a lot of reading comprehension problems in this thread.

Me? I see it as more a 'Elvis is King! No! the Beatles Rule!" kinda ummm.., discussion (?)

• Members

Eric Johson has thin, trebly tone?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA

:lol:

Credibility fail.

Rolling off the tone and adding fuzz does not give you fat tone, it gives you warm tone. Look at the video I posted. Arguably his most popular song. All of the clean tone is trebly and thin. The disto is roll of the tone and add fuzz theory to getting fat tone and it doesn't work. Slash has fat tone, Angus has fat tone, hell Johnny Ramone has fat tone. EJ doesn't.

• Members

Rolling off the tone and adding fuzz does not give you fat tone, it gives you warm tone. Look at the video I posted. Arguably his most popular song. All of the clean tone is trebly and thin. The disto is roll of the tone and add fuzz theory to getting fat tone and it doesn't work. Slash has fat tone, Angus has fat tone, hell Johnny Ramone has fat tone. EJ doesn't.

I see what you're saying - sort of.

EJ has several tones that he uses regularly, so you probably need to specifiy which one you're talking about.

But - Angus has fat tone?

C'mon man....His tone is pretty generic: just plug a gibson into a plexi marshall.

Same with Ramone, Rudy Schenker and Joan Jett.

Nothing "fat" about it: it's more midrange bite than anything.

You want fat tone?

Leslie West, or Eric Clapton in Creem.

• Members
I see what you're saying - sort of.

EJ has several tones that he uses regularly, so you probably need to specifiy which one you're talking about.

But - Angus has fat tone?

C'mon man....His tone is pretty generic: just plug a gibson into a plexi marshall.

Same with Ramone, Rudy Schenker and Joan Jett.

Nothing "fat" about it: it's more midrange bite than anything.

You want fat tone?

Leslie West, or Eric Clapton in Creem.

The tone I'm talking about is the dirty tone in the video I posted earlier in the thread. Yeah, Angus' tone is pretty generic, but the Gibson to Marshall tone is what I think of when I think "fat". Totally agreed on West & Cream era Clapton. Mountain is a great example of fat tone and I think he plays a Les Paul into a Marshall. :D

Agreed for sure.

• Members
Hendrix.

Robin Trower too, although he didn't sing.

SRV though was the most like Hendrix in the way he blended guitar rhythm, lead vocals, and guitar lead so effortfortlessly and powerfully. There was no thought or hesitation, it was like they were just taken over by the spirit of the music.
It so sad because SRV was just reaching his prime when he jumped in the wrong helicopter. I was invited to that show (by a lady friend of mine) but it was on a Sunday night and I had to be downtown for a meeting by 8:30 on Monday morning, so I said "next time".
:cry:

Archived