Another N00b Question: 5 String Basses

mcr23

• Members

I recently traded in my last 5 string for a 4 string - I have two jazz basses, and a StingRay - they just feel most comfortable to me. I have nothing against 5 strings - I've actually owned many - but FOR ME, a 4 string jazz neck is just about the most perfect bass neck I've ever played (hence the reason I own two Jazzes).

Aside from a wider neck and more expensive strings (which shouldn't be a deal breaker), the other disadvantage to 5 strings is muting. A low B string may give you more notes and increase playing position efficiency, but you also have to keep that B string silent when you aren't playing it - particularly when slapping/popping. This can be more challenging than it first appears. There are lots of resources that show techniques (floating thumb variations, etc.) to help you, though.

The only other consideration for a 5 string is to make sure you have an amplifier that does justice to those lower notes - some amplifiers can't put out the stuff necessary to make a low B (or anything below a Low E) sound good.

• Members

I actually went to Guitfiddle Center to see if they had a G&L but no luck. They did have a 4 string Ibanez SR700 and a 5-string SR750.

The 5 string is kind of wide for me, so I think that offsets any advantages of the low B. On the 750 model it also came with a midrange toggle but I couldn't really hear any difference anyway. :idk:

The SR700 was actually a pretty sweet bass. I liked the Bartolini pups too. :idk:

I guess it's either that or the G&L tribute 2500 :facepalm:

• Moderators

That's been my biggest objection to 5-strings so far, that the neck isn't wide enough. Specifically, the string spacing is too narrow. However, for a guitarist, this might be a good thing, and for a noob, not an issue, as a noob wouldn't be used to anything different.

• Members

That would depend on your definition of Outlaw Country ... Johnny, Waylon, Willie, and DAC likely didn't have 5 strings backing 'em up in the 70's heyday (but I've been wrong before).....

I suggest getting a fiver.

[YOUTUBE]vf5o_CVFbPw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Maybe you can explain exactly how that would work in the real world???

- georgestrings

In the real world it's quite a simple concept...I'm sure even you will grasp it. Most 5 string players cant play a 4 string properly therefore they think by playing a 5 string bass it makes them a better bass player. There are more than enough notes on a 4 string bass for any layman, intermediate or advanced player! A guitarist who has limited experience of playing bass is wasting his time with a 5 string bass - he asked for opinions and I gave him mine dude.

Look up Jeff Berlin, he has this subject correctly nailed.

• Members
I actually went to Guitfiddle Center to see if they had a G&L but no luck. They did have a 4 string Ibanez SR700 and a 5-string SR750.

The 5 string is kind of wide for me, so I think that offsets any advantages of the low B. On the 750 model it also came with a midrange toggle but I couldn't really hear any difference anyway.
:idk:

The SR700 was actually a pretty sweet bass. I liked the Bartolini pups too.
:idk:

I guess it's either that or the G&L tribute 2500
:facepalm:

I have two different points of view for you to consider:

On one hand, If this is how the neck feels for you right now, then I would go for a 4 string. IIRC, Ibanez SR necks are quite narrow, so if you're finding the SR 5 string a pain, other 5 string necks are not getting much narrower than that.

On the other hand, it is VERY possible, however, that you will simply get used to the 5 string neck like you would any other new musical instrument.

This is such a personal preference, you really have to decide for yourself.

I personally recommend starting with a 4 string, but that's largely because that's how I started out and what "learn-to-play" books I bought at the time recommended.

This is not to say my advice is right for YOU.

• Members
In the real world it's quite a simple concept...I'm sure even you will grasp it. Most 5 string players cant play a 4 string properly therefore they think by playing a 5 string bass it makes them a better bass player. There are more than enough notes on a 4 string bass for any layman, intermediate or advanced player! A guitarist who has limited experience of playing bass is wasting his time with a 5 string bass - he asked for opinions and I gave him mine dude.

Look up Jeff Berlin, he has this subject correctly nailed.

I agree and disagree - I agree with your assertion that the most accessible intro to bass playing is the 4 string.

I don't think that just because someone prefers playing 5 string means that they're compensating for their lack of 4 string skills.

My advice to anyone starting bass is to make sure to play something that that will make you WANT to play. If that is a 4, 5, 6, or 20 string bass, so be it.

In this case, the OP isn't sure what to get. Based on what he's told us here on the forum, I'd recommend a 4. However, if he came on here saying that his heroes are all 5 string players, or that he has been a lifelong fan of music that requires 5 string basses, I'd be the first to applaud him for wanting to play a 5 string.

My first bass was a 4 string P style bass - why? Because I was a huge Roger Waters fan. I could play everything I wanted on that bass and it motivated me to play every day. I think that's half the battle. Conversely, if I had been convinced to buy a five string to start, I'm pretty sure that whatever bass I bought would've been for sale in the local classified section a month later... ;).

But... that's just my opinion.

• Members
You've probably never noticed me then.

To be honest, replying to your posts intimidates me... You've been the catalyst for many a conversation I'm glad I didn't get involved in...:)

(Ironically, I just replied to this post).

That being said, I have checked out your songs, and I like them.

• Members
I personally recommend starting with a 4 string, but that's largely because that's how I started out and what "learn-to-play" books I bought at the time recommended.

This is not to say my advice is right for YOU.

That seems reasonable to me :idk:

Archived