Bass for slapping

Hagront

• Members

The time has come for me to buy a new bass (my second), and as I'm very into the slapp technique, and have been so for about a year and a half, I'm wondering if anyone have any suggestions to a good bass for this in particular?

Right now I'm jammin on my first and only bass, a Squier Precision Bass.

Thankful for any answers and tips!!

• Members

A good slap bass is the one in your hands, if you can slap the bass you have will do the trick, but if you want to step up in basses, and want a special tone, try a MM Bongo. You will slap the taste out of the crowd mouth.

• Members

Some basses are easier to slap than others, but if you're reasonably proficient it doesn't really matter.

That being said, a Stingray is probably as close to something considered a "bass for slapping" as it gets.

• Members

In my opinion, the best slap tone comes from lots and lots of practice more than a bass itself, however it is easier (for me at least) to get a good slap tone with lower action on a bass.

It also depends a lot on what kind of slap tone you are looking for though...you might find that a Hofner is just what you had in mind. Slap around a lot of different basses and then figure out which one(s) sound best to you.

• Members

While every bass can be "slapped," some of the necks make it easier (or more difficult) for slapping. One reasonably priced bass you need to try is the MTD Kingston/Artist or Heir. The asymmetrical neck get wider as you move up, and the shape keeps your fretting hand in position constantly. Overall, the string spacing is pretty wide (though nowhere near uncomfortable) all the way up or down, giving you a bit of room between strings. Very comfortable neck. Not too slim, not too crowded.

• Members

If you want a mid-priced bass that loves to be slapped. Look at an Ibanez ATK300. It's similar to a Musicman Stingray (I owned both at the same time and eventually sold the Stingray).

Everytime I pick up the ATK I find an honest to god urge to slap and I'm not a slap player.

See ;

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK300-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511834

• Members

Step outside the box, get a Bongo. All jokes aside 1. lower your action, 2. change your strings, 3. work on your tech. I use to have a Fender P, and I got a nice slap tone out of it, I'd still be using it if it had not been stolen. It is true that some basses are easier to slap on than others, but if your tech is good, then you can get a nice slap tone out of most basses. Work on your Tech, save your money, and when you are ready, get the bass of your dreams.

• Members

Another vote for a stingray! Seriously, if you can afford it, get it. If you can't, get money so you can or buy one used. They're incredible basses that are just made to slap.

That being said, I would love to own one of them myself, but I'm pretty much against slapping and I thought it would be kind of weird to be a non-slapper and own a stingray. :/

• Members

Another vote for a stingray! Seriously, if you can afford it, get it. If you can't, get money so you can or buy one used. They're incredible basses that are just made to slap.

That being said, I would love to own one of them myself, but I'm pretty much against slapping and I thought it would be kind of weird to be a non-slapper and own a stingray. :/

That is no excuse, They are great for rock also

• Members

They are indeed slap machines, but they've got plenty of good tones otherwise as well. The sound really nice with a pick.

Archived