Jay Turser JTB-401's at GC for $89

Crisco

• Members

I just saw a few of these Jay Turser JTB-401 models at my GC today and they were mostly marked $89 with a Used sign on them, but these basses had the film over the pickguards. I figure they were stored and can't be sold as new, but they are immaculate.

Thinking of getting one, but I wanted opinions first.

Here's what it looks lile

http://www.jayturser.com/jtb-401.php

• Members

My GC has a bunch of those, too. GC bought out a whole lot of Turser guitars and basses, and for some reason, can't sell them as new. They are new, and that JTB-401 is really nice for the price. They sound a LOT like my '51 Reissue P Bass which cost about 5X as much. :(

My GC has about 15 yellow Turser Strat guitars for $99. :)

• Members

My GC has a bunch of those, too. GC bought out a whole lot of Turser guitars and basses, and for some reason, can't sell them as new. They are new, and that JTB-401 is really nice for the price. They sound a LOT like my '51 Reissue P Bass which cost about 5X as much.
:(

My GC has about 15 yellow Turser Strat guitars for $99.
:)

Hey! We're just right down the road from ya on I-85 headed south...just after Lake Norman.

• Members

I just got back from GC. I went to go get one of these, and came back empty-handed. Why? Well, I plugged it in. The string balance was ridiculously poor. The A, D, and G strings sounded pretty good, but the E string was VERY soft. This was true on both examples I tried. The pickup appeared to be adjusted more or less properly, but I figured out right away that the softness on the low end would drive me absolutely crazy.

• Members

I just got back from GC. I went to go get one of these, and came back empty-handed. Why? Well, I plugged it in. The string balance was ridiculously poor. The A, D, and G strings sounded pretty good, but the E string was VERY soft. This was true on both examples I tried. The pickup appeared to be adjusted more or less properly, but I figured out right away that the softness on the low end would drive me absolutely crazy.

Good call. Some things aren't worth any money. Jay Turser is a hunk of chinese {censored}. And some chinese basses are alright! just. not any of those.

• Members

Good call. Some things aren't worth any money. Jay Turser is a hunk of chinese {censored}. And some chinese basses are alright! just. not any of those.

Well I did find out they're made at the plant in Dalian China

better known in the Epiphone world as Daewon

they make the Jay turser instruments there as well as many other brands.

They're supposed to be the Samick of the Chinese guitar world.

• Members

I dunno, I used to have one of these and it was a pretty killer little bass actually. Chintzy hardware, but the stock pickup sounded great to me. Lightest bass I ever owned, and some neck dive, but I enjoyed it. I have a thing for SC P-basses.

I was going to say since mine was 4-5 years old maybe they just aren't made in the same factory or to the same specs these days, but I went to GC today and sure enough they had one of these and aside from the crappy action it was pretty fun to play.

I do think the one I played today was from a later run than the one I owned because it was yellow and when I bought mnine that wasn't a finish option. If I hadn't just bought a bass recently I may well have picked it up.

Archived