I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Actually, speaking of kids stories. One that gets me...

My girl was playing with a toy. A boy came over and asked if he could play with the toy. She wanted it still so she said, "no you may not." This, from a 3 year old (well, almost 4).

The boy started whimpering. His mom starts asking him, "well what could she say instead." Instead!? INSTEAD!? What the holy hell do you want out of a 3 year old?!

What I've noticed is that people seem to think the use of "may" is too strong. Had she just said, "no." That probably would have been fine. "You may not," just seems to be something strongly worded for too many people.

Then there was another time where the mom wanted an apology because her kid's feelings were hurt. My wife went along with it because she had done something wrong but.... I told her we don't correct or admonish on feelings hurt. We do it when our daughter does something wrong.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by niomosy

View Post

My girl was playing with a toy. A boy came over and asked if he could play with the toy. She wanted it still so she said, "no you may not." This, from a 3 year old (well, almost 4).

The boy started whimpering. His mom starts asking him, "well what could she say instead." Instead!? INSTEAD!? What the holy hell do you want out of a 3 year old?!

What I've noticed is that people seem to think the use of "may" is too strong. Had she just said, "no." That probably would have been fine. "You may not," just seems to be something strongly worded for too many people.

Then there was another time where the mom wanted an apology because her kid's feelings were hurt. My wife went along with it because she had done something wrong but.... I told her we don't correct or admonish on feelings hurt. We do it when our daughter does something wrong.

*facepalms*

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by niomosy

View Post

I agree.

If my daughter was a budding Church Lady, I would encourage the hell out of it!! biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfir

View Post

For denying you a dick sandwich? You should thank me! mad.gif

I just don't want you kids to have to grow up and struggle the way I did...

...or something. facepalm.gif

My parents told me no all the time when I was doing something wrong, and it hurt my feelings. I couldn't possibly do that to my children.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Donut_Man

View Post

My parents told me no all the time when I was doing something wrong, and it hurt my feelings. I couldn't possibly do that to my children.

Sure, just pack dick sandwiches into their lunchbox. This will go over well and make their confidence stronger! poke.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfir

View Post

Sure, just pack dick sandwiches into their lunchbox. This will go over well and make their confidence stronger! poke.gif

What ever makes them feel better, because that is what the world is about, and everyone in the real world cares about your feelings, especially with the law.

But I must say, you people were the ones that I was offering the phallic sandwich to. Because my gift has been met with reprimand, I shall bid you all good day.cry.gif