Band pet peeves?

BC Powder

• Members

Here's a major peeve, not from within a band, but as a member of a band:

You have a gig and invite or tell somebody about the gig. They sound interested and tell you they will come check it out.

But the night comes and they don't show up.

Then the next time they see you, they ask, "So how was your show?"

Arrrgh, I {censored}in' hate that. How was my show? Well if you were there, I wouldn't have to tell you. It's one thing if they told you beforehand, "Sorry, I can't make it" and then they ask you later, but, I just hate that crap.

I also have a co-worker who always asks me about my band, etc, but she never even seen me play live. And then she has the audacity to ask me on Monday morning, "So how was your show?" Well, since you're not interested in seeing them in the first place, why should I bother telling you?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by elsongs

You have a gig and invite or tell somebody about the gig. They sound interested and tell you they will come check it out.

Arrrgh, I {censored}in' hate that. How was my show? Well if you were there, I wouldn't have to tell you. It's one thing if they told you beforehand, "Sorry, I can't make it" and then they ask you later, but, I just hate that crap.

I also have a co-worker who always asks me about my band, etc, but she never even seen me play live. And then she has the audacity to ask me on Monday morning, "So how was your show?" Well, since you're not interested in seeing them in the first place, why should I bother telling you?

That's never really bothered me much.

• Members

invite or tell somebody about the gig. They sound interested and tell you they will come check it out.

I used to worry about that too, it's kind of disappointing when someone says he will show up and he doesn't.

So I stopped caring! I do tell my co-workers if I happen to be playing in the area, tell them I'd be glad to see them there, but that's it. I don't INVITE people per se anymore and I don't care whether they come or not. Because while they're at home and to lazy to get their asses up, I am having a good time. It doesn't matter that 2 people I know are not there, there are dozens, hundreds of others who are having a blast while I'm playing. To me, it's their loss.

I'll even answer the question on monday mornings (although it gets old pretty fast when you're playing every weekend). I don't care.

Remember also that most people are just not interested but don't want to turn your invitation off because they're afraid of hurting you. Keep this attitude: it's their loss! It doesn't matter if they don't come, THEY are missing out.

Perhaps if you stop inviting them but instead talk about how great it was when they ask, you will create interest.

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

Remember also that most people are just not interested but don't want to turn your invitation off because they're afraid of hurting you. Keep this attitude: it's their loss! It doesn't matter if they don't come, THEY are missing out.

Yes I know that, but I guess what also pisses me off about the "How was your show?" is the perspective of the question. I mean, okay, the band played extremely well and it was a wonderful performance. That's how I felt it was. But to someone there, it might have been a dead night and the band could have been boring. See what I mean? They're NEVER going to experience the show like someone performing would - for better or worse, so I think those questions are kind of stupid to ask a performer. If they asked someone else who went to the show, then that's another story.

• Members

Originally posted by Body Bomb

The merch table. People who want to know about your website can find out about it there. Those who don't will just think you're a cheeseball.

Or... Google!

So are you do you mention the merch table's location from the stage...or do you depend on them getting lucky and "finding" it also?

Learn from advertising pros they repeat the same message over and over and over and over....

I hate it but that's how you sell to the public.

• Members

The merch table. People who want to know about your website can find out about it there. Those who don't will just think you're a cheeseball.

Here's some pet peeves I have about band websites:

* "If you wanna find out more about the band go to w-w-w-dot-myspace-doc-com-slash..."

or even worse:

"w-w-w-dot-geocities-dot-com-slash..."

* And once you get to the page...

"Loading flash animation..."

And by the time it loads, it's this extravagantly wonderfully-designed website full of bells and whistles. You click on "Music" and you losten to their streaming songs.

And they all suck.

*Oh here's my favorite...not:

You check out their website to find out where this artist is playing next and in the "shows" section, all they have is:

"COMING SOON!"

• Members

LOL really!!! :D

If you have a band GET A DOMAIN NAME, it's less than 10 bucks at GoDaddy and you can forward it to some other page if you're too cheap to get a web site of your own.

DON'T use the cheesy Flash animations, especially not for an intro! Your visitors will have to wait around for the stupid thing to load, then either sit through the intro or click a button to skip it, and they just want information. It's even more annoying for repeat visitors - your actual fans!! - who have to go through the stupid intro every time they visit and all they want to know is when your next gig is.

And of course... keep your freaking web site updated with your gig dates! :D

Good points elsongs!

• Members

Yes I know that, but I guess what also pisses me off about the "How was your show?" is the perspective of the question. I mean, okay, the band played extremely well and it was a wonderful performance. That's how I felt it was. But to someone there, it might have been a dead night and the band could have been boring. See what I mean? They're NEVER going to experience the show like someone performing would - for better or worse, so I think those questions are kind of stupid to ask a performer. If they asked someone else who went to the show, then that's another story.

Well if people were cheering, stayed until closing and were dancing, then they had a great night :)

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

LOL really!!!
:D

DON'T use the cheesy Flash animations, especially not for an intro!

+1Billion!!!

The only people who like flash intro's are the people who design them!! I don't care how cool they look, they are useless and annoying.:mad:

• Members

Following the last post...

Horn players that warm up with ridiculous riffs onstage while the crowd is gathering (after being told not to), then standing around not moving at all while the rest of the band is getting funky, then proceeding to get drunk and forget half of the entrances even though the music I arranged for them is still in front of them, on stands, after two years of playing mostly the same stuff, then proceeding to get more drunk and try to have altissimo and screech range pissing matches during "Brick House" which only make you sound like a bunch of amateurs, then not picking up their gear at the end of the night. Attach to this a lead singer and a manager that focused on getting laid every night. Did I mention I quit this band?

• Members

Just a couple of things.

learn how to use your gear. A keyboard player flicking throught the thousands of sounds on a module before every song just doesn't get it!

Learn it and write it down!

Movement on stage, if you don't look like you're into it, why should anyone else be?

everything else has been covered

• Members

Originally posted by MattFacingSouth

Following the last post...

proceeding to get drunk and forget half of the entrances even though the music I arranged for them is still in front of them, on stands

I've done that!

And, on the real side, I hate it when players warm up on stage. I want the band to take the stage and hit me with a wall of sound. I've never been in a band that was able to do this. Usually the drummers are the worst offenders (in the bands I've been in).

• Moderators

That is a huuuuge one for me. Actually, the ones that REALLY get me are the people that search you out, unsolicited (I got to a point where I've just stopped asking people i know to come, we usually have a draw anyway) and say to you out of the blue "HEY MAN, I talked to some friends and we will DEFINITLY be at your show Friday night!!" then you never see them...

Why did you seek me out, to lie to me? It wasn't as if I put you on the spot and made you feel bad... so why even mention it?

• CMS Author

The rest of the world has a life too. Unless they signed a contract, hell, even if they did, they still have a right to change their mind or have other plans prevent them from showing up.

I'd be happy they even bothered to ask how it went or express any interest at all. Do you ask them about their hobbies?

• Members

Patrons who demand a certain artist and are farking rude about it. "You should do "Me and Bobby McGee. You can nail Janice, I just know it. Really, you should ....."

No matter how politely I explain my reasoning for not doing their pet tune, they get more and more demanding!!

Eh. So I hop up and do a verse of "Mercedes Benz" acapella, and they agree I sound JUST like Janice and go away happy. (Or Stevie N, or Pat B, or Nancy W, or whoever they think I should sound like).

Completely missing my point, that I am trying very hard NOT to sound like other singers!

• Members

Originally posted by Hollow body

OK, back to peeves.

I hate when old guys in cover bands preen on the stage like they're still very hip. Sometimes I want to remind these guys that you should get your self image from a mirror and not from your memory.

True, I don't think there's an age limit to be in a band or anything, but at least attempt to look hip, even if you're 60. You're on stage for god sake.

• Members

Originally posted by cherri

Patrons who demand a certain artist and are farking rude about it. "You should do "Me and Bobby McGee. You can nail Janice, I just know it. Really, you should ....."

No matter how politely I explain my reasoning for not doing their pet tune, they get more and more demanding!!

Eh. So I hop up and do a verse of "Mercedes Benz" acapella, and they agree I sound JUST like Janice and go away happy. (Or Stevie N, or Pat B, or Nancy W, or whoever they think I should sound like).

Completely missing my point, that I am trying very hard NOT to sound like other singers!

Yeah I hate when people demand a song and get all upset when we don't know it. "Hey you guys know any Maiden?" "Um, we've been playing Dave Matthews and Phish all night, what do you think" "Come on man, just try to play it," They never give up.

• Members

A have a couple:

1) The volume - it pisses me off when a guitarist asks me to come down, but his guitar is so freakin' loud that I can't hear myself. I got into a lot verbal matches on stage because of this.

2) My biggest pet peeve - rude audience members: I really hate it when some drunk-ass member of the audience comes up on stage and interrupts me while I'm playing, esp when I'm soloing. It has happened a few times.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fastplant

Yeah I hate when people demand a song and get all upset when we don't know it. "Hey you guys know any Maiden?" "Um, we've been playing Dave Matthews and Phish all night, what do you think" "Come on man, just try to play it," They never give up.

Sometimes, "Never heard it" works. Even drunk idiots might understand that you can't play a song you've never heard.

• Members

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hollow body

OK, back to peeves.

I hate when old guys in cover bands preen on the stage like they're still very hip. Sometimes I want to remind these guys that you should get your self image from a mirror and not from your memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by fastplant

True, I don't think there's an age limit to be in a band or anything, but at least attempt to look hip, even if you're 60. You're on stage for god sake.

Ok, now I'm confused. You two agree you don't like the way (some) old guys act on stage, but Hollow body doesn't like when they act like they're hip. Fastplant thinks they should at least attempt to look hip.

I'm not really sure how hip I can look at 50, but I'm not into preening, so maybe I'm ok. I'm not in a cover band, so that may help. Not really sure, though.

I guess those folks offended by shorts would hate all the bands around here that like to play bare-footed as well as wear shorts in the summer - and I'm talking from metal to southern rock to jambands, etc. I'm both old and wear shorts if it's hot, so I guess I'm really anathema. I do wear shoes or at least sandals, though. And I never take off my shirt, as I saw one corpulent fellow do recently (it was a great band, though, so he's forgiven).

I have used a music stand on stage, though I don't normally, and I don't really see it as the worst thing in the world. Some of the best musicians in the world read music. Actually, I never really needed the stand, and barely glanced at it all night, so I don't bother bringing it. I can see where someone who has a huge playlist and takes requests might want to consult a lead sheet occasionally. But it should be done as discreetly as possible. One must at least attempt to look hip.

I used to worry about whether people I talked to about the show would actually show up, but not anymore. Just because I'm totally focused on a gig, doesn't mean that other people are going to be, especially if they've never seen us and don't frequent the spots we play. Sometimes they do show, and I focus on that.

Build your following, and then don't worry who makes it to any particular show. If you want to keep the possibility open that someone will evenually make a show and find out they are your biggest fan, be nice when they ask about the gig they missed.

I see no problem with pointing out that you do have a website, though if you are cheaping out with a convoluted address, good luck. We have our website on our banner, but I may at some point say something about it. I don't always think about it or have any dead time to kill while someone is tuning.

My website peeve is sites that assume you want to hear music as soon as you arrive. I like to check things out from work sometimes, and I don't need to have music start playing to point it out to everyone in the office. It's really not too much trouble to click on something if I want to hear a clip. If I'm already at your site, I'm not going to just leave because no music starts up automatically. I will get the hell out of there if it won't be quiet.

Mostly, I am sympathetic with sound techs, and try to make their job as easy as possible in the hope they will make me sound as good as possible. Lately I have been puzzled, though, why some guys I have worked with are so determined to mic the guitar amps in a small or medium sized venue. Is the lack of volume by guitarists really that widespread a problem?

Bandmembers who don't participate in load-in/load-out are expendable. If anybody's going to get out of it, it's going to be my superannuated ass.

Clubs that want you to sell tickets to play are expendable.

Archived