Question: I'm practicing with some new guys this weekend.

• Members

On Saturday I'm practicing with a new bassist/drummer for the first time. The session will be held at their place. I've never met them in person; I've only corresponded with one of them through email. You see the equipment in my sig. If you were in their shoes, would you be put off by a new guy pulling up with all that gear for a first time audition?

Pros: I can offer a variety of excellent tones to accomodate their songs.

Cons: the hassle of lugging in and setting up of all that junk. It wouldn't take too awfully long but do you think they'd be impatient for a 10 minute set up? It's definately not like a guy pulling up with a single guitar and a combo amp and plugging right in.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance, guys.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

On Saturday I'm practicing with a new bassist/drummer for the first time. The session will be held at their place. I've never met them in person; I've only corresponded with one of them through email. You see the equipment in my sig. If you were in their shoes, would you be put off by a new guy pulling up with all that gear for a first time audition?

Pros: I can offer a variety of excellent tones to accomodate their songs.

Cons: the hassle of lugging in and setting up of all that junk. It wouldn't take too awfully long but do you think they'd be impatient for a 10 minute set up? It's definately not like a guy pulling up with a single guitar and a combo amp and plugging right in.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance, guys.

I personally would bring the most minimal setup I could to get bye. Reason being that if it goes bad it's less stuff to pack up. I don't think you having a really nice setup would put someone off though.

• Members

I would bring what you think you need... or whatever you usually think you need to practice with or practiced with before you met these guys.

In other words.. If you're gonna put them off, it might be better sooner than later... show your true colors man.

• Members

Personally, I'd rather have some guy show up with a minimal rig and prove he can play than have someone show up with a million things and not be able to use them. If the guy who can play has more options for sounds, he can bring them along after he passes the audition. Just my 2 cents...

• Members

I see what you guys mean.

Ok, so it will be just one cab, one amp head, two guitars - but I'll bring along all the pedals just in case. :D The pedals aren't locked to the board but I have them very well organized in a carrying case and can set them up in minimal time.

Thanks guys - good advice.

• Members

I would bring 1 amp, 1 cab and 1 OD pedal and maybe both guitars.

If someone showed up to my audition with all that stuff it might be over before it even started. For an audition 10 minute setup is too long, just bring the minimal stuff and prove you can fit in and secondly play.

Also - BE ON TIME.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

I would bring 1 amp, 1 cab and 1 OD pedal and maybe both guitars.

If someone showed up to my audition with all that stuff it might be over before it even started. For an audition 10 minute setup is too long, just bring the minimal stuff and prove you can fit in and secondly play.

Also - BE ON TIME.

Tuner too, otherwise you have it. I'd leave one guitar in the car. Just run out and get it if you break a string.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Tuner too, otherwise you have it. I'd leave one guitar in the car. Just run out and get it if you break a string.

The tuner is definitely being brought - that's a necessity for a band, not an option. But I can't leave a guitar in the truck. It's supposed to be 100 degrees in Dallas. I'm not risking cooking a Tom Anderson.

• Members

Originally posted by ratthedd

Are your guitars so different that you need to bring both? I'd leave one at home and just bring the one you like the most to the audition.

Do you have access to a combo amp you could bring instead of the half-stack?

No, the guitars aren't that different but it's quicker to pick up the spare guitar than it is to change a broken string. Bringing one extra guitar shouldn't be that big of a deal. If the guys get disturbed by it then screw 'em anyways.

No, no access to a combo. I'm not looking to blow them out using the 4 x 12. What I have is all I have.

• CMS Author

I don't have anything smaller than a 4 x 12 cab.

Better call first and let them know. I've auditioned lots of players and I always ask what they're bringing, and offer to let them go direct into the board or several other options rather than lugging big gear into the basement.

It may not be an issue at all.....they may have a big space and ground-level entry and love to play loud. Or it might be a 2-foot basement stairway with a 90-degee bend and the middle, into a tiny room already crammed, and they play at minimal volume.

"Always advance your gigs".

• CMS Author

FWIW, and not to sound snotty or start a tiff, but if you can afford all that gear you can afford a small combo that's a lot more appropriate for auditions, small club gigs, etc. We all love our gear (hell, I play an SVT into a PRO-series cab...not exactly tiny) but smaller options are a godsend.

After a few gigs with load-ins from hell, you'll really appreciate that little 40w 12" combo. And not to start another topic diversion, but the sound guy will too.....

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Better call first and let them know. I've auditioned lots of players and I always ask what they're bringing, and offer to let them go direct into the board or several other options rather than lugging big gear into the basement.

It may not be an issue at all.....they may have a big space and ground-level entry and love to play loud. Or it might be a 2-foot basement stairway with a 90-degee bend and the middle, into a tiny room already crammed, and they play at minimal volume.

"Always advance your gigs".

They allegedly have a nice, air-conditioned room within the house to play in. I'll call them and let them know in advance of the 4 x 12 but let's say I had a 2 x 12 combo instead. The 4 x 12 and an amp head placed on top of it would only take up another 2 feet of vertical space. Heck, if that's a problem then good grief! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

FWIW, and not to sound snotty or start a tiff, but if you can afford all that gear you can afford a small combo that's a lot more appropriate for auditions, small club gigs, etc. We all love our gear (hell, I play an SVT into a PRO-series cab...not exactly tiny) but smaller options are a godsend.

After a few gigs with load-ins from hell, you'll really appreciate that little 40w 12" combo. And not to start another topic diversion, but the sound guy will too.....

No problem - I didn't interpret your post as negative. Yes, I afforded all of that gear but I can safely say the well is dry for the time being. Perhaps eventually I'll get a combo amp.

• Members

They allegedly have a nice, air-conditioned room within the house to play in. I'll call them and let them know in advance of the 4 x 12 but let's say I had a 2 x 12 combo instead. The 4 x 12 and an amp head placed on top of it would only take up another 2 feet of vertical space. Heck, if that's a problem then good grief!
;)

I see the winky face, but I don't think that's what he means. The guys I play with are very sensitive to volume. We practice very quietly. You could easily hold a conversation in the same room and they still wear ear plugs. If you get guys like that, the 4x12 may not go over well. On the other hand, some people practice like they're playing a full club. Those people may not take you seriously with anything less. It's a crapshoot I guess.

• Members

Heck, when you can, get yourself a Reverend Goblin 5/15. It's an amazingly loud amp for all of its small size (10" speaker), and can hold its own with most drum kits even at the 5w setting. Then you'll have an excellent option for those small gigs or future auditions. I mic mine through my Bose PAS and can get a huge sound at very low stage volumes. It's a good option to have.

• Members

Originally posted by Micky Z

Heck, when you can, get yourself a Reverend Goblin 5/15. It's an amazingly loud amp for all of its small size (10" speaker), and can hold its own with most drum kits even at the 5w setting. Then you'll have an excellent option for those small gigs or future auditions. I mic mine through my Bose PAS and can get a huge sound at very low stage volumes. It's a good option to have.

I agree it's a great amp but as I stated earlier, my pockets are empty right now. ;)

• Members

actually the more I think about it if you are a good player it's not going to matter what you show up with as long as it will cut it for the band. In my current band my bass player temporarily has a pa head and cab he's using for bass, it doesn't sound very good but he's an amazing bass player and will upgrade soon. If you are looking for musicians you can overlook some stuff. He has played guitar for years are recently switched if you are wondering how a great bass player would have such a crap rig!

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

He has played guitar for years are recently switched if you are wondering how a great bass player would have such a crap rig!

Nope, I'm not wondering. ;) I understand that he probably had his money invested in guitar gear and doesn't have the funds right now to drop on a bass rig. Similar to me having my funds in my current rig and not having funds to drop on a combo at this time.

I appreciate all the input, guys. I had no idea there would be so many responses.

Archived