Anyone switch to bass or share duties with another player?

dman11

• Members

In my endless search for quality musicians(bass players, singers) in my area I've begun to think about switching to bass and/or share bass duties and vocal duties with a guitar player friend of mine who's also been searching for his own band members.We would be a 3 piece.Iplay bass fairly well as does he ,but I'm apprehensive of the thought of getting stuck in bass duties since I'm primarily a guitarist.

Anyone been in this situation?Any helpfull suggestions?we play modern rock

• Members

There's no reason that y'all can't switch off, either set by set, or at least a group of songs at a time - what I'd suggest that you DON'T want to do is be changing instruments between each song. If you're doing original material, why not write songs that aim at each of your strengths as guitarists (or bassists), so that you'll be thinking of each tune from a bass players (or a guitar player's) viewpoint.

• Members

I think its a great idea to switch off like that. While I'm not that versatile myself, I've been fortunate to be in a band that has had three different guitar players/bass players on the opposite side of the stage from me. Our lead singer plays acoustic and learned to play bass to give us more flexibilty and allow our original bass player (who was really a guitarist) to get his ya ya's. We would usually do one full set like that and another half of a set later to finish out the night a little more upbeat. Like I've said we've been lucky that all the bass players we have had were that talented, lets you pull in different directions too.

• Members

Just came back from rehearsal:

It was great. I agreed to play bass the whole time and really enjoyed it. the other guitarist asked to step in but I was having a lot of fun on bass and agreed to stay on the whole time.Singing was easier on bass than on guitar for some reason so maybe I'll sing my sets that I play bass in and the other guy will do the same.we went over 25 songs we got in commom between our previous band so it was very productive.We're making a new set list now for about 40-50 songs.Now it's his turn next rehearsal to play bass .We're thinking about each learning both parts,bass guitar so that on a whim we could switch up parts and each do them well.that way we can both play guitar whenever the other guy is missing it.

thanx for the suggestions:)

• Members

I've been in bands where I switched from lead player to bassist, from bassist to lead player, and where we switched around. Being able to play bass makes you a more marketable quantity, plus in a pinch like what you're in, it can help get music out that otherwise might not be getting heard.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose.

BK

• Members

We're thinking about each learning both parts,bass guitar so that on a whim we could switch up parts and each do them well.that way we can both play guitar whenever the other guy is missing it

that sounds like a great idea. Your lucky to have a musician like that you can work with. So many guitarists around here couldn't hack it on the bass. They either have no idea how to lock in with a drummer or can't handle playing an instrument the size and weight of the bass. Wimps!

• Members

I used to be a guitarist and drummer. Switched over to bass about 12-13 years ago. It wasn't my intention to become a bass player, but a local rock band I had heard of was looking for a bass replacement, and I was sick of not being in a decent band. So, I gave it a shot and eventually got the job.

Been a bass player ever since.

• Members

I have friends in three different bands, and the current bass player in each band was a gigging guitar player before swithching to bass.

They all do a terrific job. They know how important it is to lay down a solid pocket, and THEY DON'T OVERPLAY!

George

• Members

I play both (bass in one band, guitar in another) and dig the hell out of it. Know what sucks? No-nothings who say "He plays bass like a guitar player" -- WTF!

Either you're a good bass player or not. No one says "He plays tenor sax like an alto guy" or whatever.

Most of these misguided opinions come from drummers, who apparently don't like "busy" bass players encroaching on their assumed ownership of every part of the measure that isn't exactly on the downbeat.

Guitar players make great bass players because they generally have the chops and training to stray from the fundamental roots and patterns -- i.e., they're actual musicians unlike a lot of drummers who have enough of a challenge remembering the song form's pattern.

Come to think of it -- it's never the GOOD drummers who dis guitarist/bassists......

Archived