Musician rant...

BndGrl

• Members

I've been trying to put together a Hurricane benefit show with some of the larger bands in our area.

What a freaking nightmare!! :mad:

I have many friends in bands in this area and have done A LOT to support these people over the past few years. Myself and my friends are the ones who drive from state to state every weekend just so that there are some familiar faces in the crowd. We've asked for nothing in return other than occasionally being put on the guest list. Many times though we are paying for hotel rooms, gas, cover charges and bringing alcohol to share!!

So now that we are trying to do something that's not even for us, it's for hurricane victims for cripes sake, all I've gotten are excuses and ego's! Hell, half the time I haven't even gotten a return phone call. One band with a notirously big ego wanted to know how much we were going to pay them??!! It's a freaking benefit you dumb ass!!

All we've asked is that people donate a 1/2 hour of their time...freaking 30 minutes to sing a few songs that they sing every damn weekend.

There have been a few who have been nothing but supportive (especially THX1138, SpacedCowboy, Squealie and GOSG!!!) and the only thing they said was "Tell me where I need to be at what time and it's done." GOSG was even handling all the technical stuff for me and all I had to do was ask.

But they unfortunately are in the minority. So now I'm looking at cancelling a show that was going to provide money to the Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity because a few stupid musicians in this area have egos that far exceed their talent.

Unfortunately though it's these idiots that will bring in the biggest crowds. Grrr...

• Members

Lesson learned for sure!

But I think the thing that pisses me off the most is these aren't just bands we go to see, most of these guys are my friends outside of the bands. We talk on the phone, we IM, we hangout when they aren't playing it's not just someone they see in the crowd at the shows.

• Members

Hi,

I'm in a bar band in NJ that does covers and have noticed very similiar behaviour during some benefits. Many bands want to get something out of doing a benefit( usually free exposure). Simply donating time and effort to something worthwhile is apparently often not enough reward.

We did a rather large benefit in January and I couldn't believe the inflated egos and constant jockeying for "better" time slots amongst the bands. To make matters more annoying the local newspaper that organized the event even turned it into a "Battle of the Bands" the day after the event was over. They decided to have online voting on which band "Rocked the Hardest" during the benefit. That particular benefit left a very sour taste in my mouth especially for a few of the bands and the paper.

We still do benefits but tend to prefer the smaller ones where there are only a few bands we know.

Al

• Members

As a band member I don't think I'd play anywhere for 30 minutes. Packing, hauling, setting up, tearing down, it's not worth it for a short set like that. You're setting them up for a train wreck. Find one or two bands and give them enough time to put on a good show instead of trying to rush a bunch of bands through some half-assed sets.

• Members

Originally posted by Cassius

Sorry but, the lesson here is to not to think that bands you like owe you or anyone else anything.
:(

There's some truth to that. We get asked to do charity shows quite often. There's a limit to how much you can do for free.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

As a band member I don't think I'd play anywhere for 30 minutes. Packing, hauling, setting up, tearing down, it's not worth it for a short set like that. You're setting them up for a train wreck. Find one or two bands and give them enough time to put on a good show instead of trying to rush a bunch of bands through some half-assed sets.

I agree. A proper benefit should leave time for each band to play a set.

• Members

The last benefit I organized was several years ago, but each band got a good long set, was provided a backline if they wanted (drums, bass rig and full P.A.) and a nice stage to play on. I hit up everyone I knew for donations to a raffle, we sold a ton on tickets and made a good amount of money.

I did encounter the "what's in it for me" attitude when I approached a local sax player who was very well-known and played the best rooms. He said that his name on the bill would bring in lots more people and it would be worth paying him and his band for their performance, but I refused, saying that it was a benefit and all the musicians were donating their time and that he shouldn't be any different. So he didn't play and we had a full house anyway. A couple years later this guy was in a car accident that put him in the hospital and pretty much ended his playing days. A benefit was held to help him and his family with the medical expenses and I recall wondering if karma hadn't just bit him in the ass.

Archived