gimmicks

JBJ

• Members

what's yours?

my bro and i were jammign tonight and working on a medley of kinda cheesy but cool tunes that starts with robert palmers addicted to love.

my bro made the suggestion that if we're doing any student bars or youngish crowds we could get some inflatable guitars n get girls to come up onstage and pose like th ebirds from the addicted to love video.

i think it's a pretty fun idea to be honest plus I get to dance about them which always helps :)

• Members

I play my fiddle on "Devil Went Down to Georgia". During the "devil's solo", we kill the stage lights and turn on a strobe that points up into my face, I begin the solo, slowly open my eyes as menacingly as possible, and then slowly smile, baring my cheesy vampire fangs. Its a lot of fun, and disguises the fact that my devil solo doesn't sound too good. :p

• Members

Originally posted by Cassius

Recently losing his capo has become our singers gimmick.

"Can someone pass me my jacket, i think its in the pocket."

:o:mad:

lucky you're not travis. you'd only be able to play 2 songs if he done that:confused:

• Members

another one we've decided to do is have a "competition" between the 3 uni's to see who can do the chorus of 500 miles loudest.

come on caledonian lets hear what you've got.... bah bah bah bah.....

right your turn strathclyde

cheesy as {censored} but I'm pretty sur eit'll work since everyone turns into a raving uni zealot with a coupla beers in them.

we're just about round to sorting out this campus gig btw cassius if you fancy catching it...

• Members

we used to have a sexy female lead singer and we were still tighter than a nuns {censored}.

we coulda actually done really well from it to be honest but cest la vie.

now i get to be the sexy front person who gets to look down cleavages from yonder on stage:D

• Members

Originally posted by ulank

I bring a 20" dildo to every gig and break it out at the appropriate time. A ridiculously proportioned dildo ALWAYS brings life to a party.

Agreed! The word, the object, and especially the concept of the dildo has to be among the funniest things on the planet.

Related: Ever hear of a band called The Urinal Mints out of South Bend, IN? They had a song called, "Dildo". As you might guess, the song was like "DILDO! (slaps bass with an over-sized dong) you're a DILDO!! (Slaps bass with over-sized dong) etc.

Classic.

• Members

If we're doing a party-type gig (or at least, somewhere with a dancefloor) we have an air-guitar contest when we play "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness. We have a bunch of inflatable guitars that we pass out for that expess purpose. Sure, we lose a few along the way, but the reaction we get more than makes up for it.

The "Prize" is usually one of our CD's too, so that helps to spread the word....

BabyFrank

PS - Here's a pic from one of our gigs last year; I'm the guy at the back with my eyes shut, mainly so I don't burst out laughing at what's happening on the dance floor :)22-airguitar-one.jpg

• Members

Dead on, Ted. :D

At the Alpena Blues festival I wore a heavily sequinned dress, and it was abright sunny day. Some old fella comes up to me and asks "What size batteries does it take to light that dress up?"

My husband - ever quick witted - said, "Two C-sized."

Here's a link to that show - the photo is huge, so I won't post it here.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/cherriblues/alpenasm.jpg

• Members

A band I used to be in did a lot of comical, "R-rated" and "NC-17-rated" songs. We had a couple of songs about panties. Knowing that we probably stood no chance in hell of having panties thrown at us, decided to give the audience a little help...we'd throw panties at them. Some folks loved it. Our peers, of course, thought we were lame. But it was a lot of fun. The closest we ever really got to having someone throw panties at is was a friend from a band that we played with a lot back then threw his jock strap at our guitarist. The guitarist promptly put the jock strap on his head. Good times.

• Members

jacieFB - that reminds me .... a friend gave me a lime green thong with decorative cherries as a gag-gift. Not a thong wearer myself, so for a long time I hung them on my microphone stand, especially when we played "My Baby Don't Wear No Panties".

I retired them for good the night a old creepy dude walked up and sniffed them.

Archived