Do you have a tuner on stage?

Locke

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Vox Valvetronix w/VC-12 which has a built-in tuner.

When I'm not using that I use a Zoom 707, which has a built in tuner.

And I also carry the Intellitouch tuner, primarily for my acoustic, which I run direct into the board without going through either the Valvetronix or the Zoom. The Intellitouch also acts as the backup for the other tuners, and is also the tuner I loan to the other guys in the band when they need it.

However, if I didn't have the Valvetronix and/or the Zoom, I would have the Boss TU-2.

I went to see Les Paul play in NYC this past summer. He had a TU-2.

Muting when Tuning = GOOD!

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

Another TU-2 user too. I don't think I'd be in a band with anyone who didn't use a tuner on stage. Being in tune is just part of being a serious musician. In a noisy club, it's impossible to tune by ear, and really annoying for the audience to listen to.

Yup. I swear by the TU-2. I have one for my electric and acoustic on stage. A silent tuner is a must for anyone who gigs. :thu:

• Members

I do not tune by ear very well so I definitely would not go on stage without one. My Boss GT-8 has a built-in tuner. Before that, I was using the Korg AX100DG (I think) multieffects and it also had a built-in tuner.

My bass player also hates hearing someone on stage tuning. I will usually tune muted on the tuner but for drop D, I'll tune by ear (which drives the bass player nuts). To me, when you drop D, it loosens the tensions on all the strings a touch but enough that when you tune the dropped D with the tuner (and not re-tuning the other strings, too) it sounds off. Maybe it's in my head. Of course, I tune it back up to E by ear also. We try to group the drop D songs we do (just a handful) together when we can.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

I use an old Zoom 505, which is a multi-effects pedal. I use one effect on it for one song in my side band's set, but otherwise it's there strictly as a silent tuner.

BK

How do you like that zoom? I tried to use the 506 for bass, but it sucked out all the low end out of my tone and hissed like crazy. :(

• Members
Originally posted by vanlatte

How do you like that zoom? I tried to use the 506 for bass, but it sucked out all the low end out of my tone and hissed like crazy.
:(

It's pretty crappy, the first generation Zoom pedals seem to be. In fairness, I'm not one to fine tune and program sounds, I want decent usable presets, and the 505 only has a very few I ever use. The distortion sounds on it are especially craptastic as well as being like 17 times LOUDER than all the other sounds. At this point I just use it as a tuner, and on one song in my side band I use the chorus/delay preset, which I also use at my church gig.

It was a toy I got on closeout when the 505II's came out, while it does suck some signal when bypassed, neither of the rock bands I'm in are ever gonna be in a super-pristine sound reinforcement sitch anyhow, so no biggie.

BK

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

It's pretty crappy, the first generation Zoom pedals seem to be. In fairness, I'm not one to fine tune and program sounds, I want decent usable presets, and the 505 only has a very few I ever use. The distortion sounds on it are especially craptastic as well as being like 17 times LOUDER than all the other sounds. At this point I just use it as a tuner, and on one song in my side band I use the chorus/delay preset, which I also use at my church gig.

It was a toy I got on closeout when the 505II's came out, while it does suck some signal when bypassed, neither of the rock bands I'm in are ever gonna be in a super-pristine sound reinforcement sitch anyhow, so no biggie.

BK

Fair enough. :D

The Zooms are fun little boxes and the sounds aren't *that* bad. I just had to compensate so much for the missing lows and didnt have an effects loop to bypass the hiss...but your right, in some settings they are well worth the money.

• Members
Originally posted by Rock & Roll Man

Not a fan of the Boss TU-2. It's accuracy -
+/- 3 cents
- doesn't cut it for me.

Bare minimum I have to have +/- 1 cent which are the Korg rackmounts, Korg DT-10, Boss TU-08 (mine), TU-12 (h), TU-15, or any Peterson (I also have a VS1).

Eh, maybe not for recording but it's close enough for me. :D

• Members

my VC-12 pedalboard has one built right in .... silent and non-silent mode .

I agree with the silent tuner ... but I have seen and heard people pull it off while they are shooting the {censored} onstage . One name that comes to mind is Hendrix . Listen to his live stuff in between songs you'll hear him do it . But he's sooo slick about it .
:D

• Members

Another TU-2 user. I play dobro in my show tuned to E along with dropping D's on my acoustic.... and it's the best.

As far as the guy who thinks it's not accuate enough.....

We were given free, box seat tickets to the Seattle Symphony to see of all things Kathy Mattea play along with the Symphony. Not my cup of tea but the seats were so good that I could see all the pedals her side men had. Every one of those guys had a TU-2, and they were top flight profesionals.

Archived