Why don't you sing?

anonpostguy

• Members

Just a question for cover band players that don't sing. Why not? It may take a little work but will improve your marketability dramatically.

Here's where I am coming from: I currently do a three piece top 40/R&B/Motown/Classic Rock trio. When I book gigs I select drummers and bass players from a pool of players that I know play well. My preference is to book the musicians that can sing harmonies. I have one bass player that is absolutely phenomenal. He has so much feel and groove that a lot of time I actually stop playing guitar because the bass and drums are locked in so well that my guitar works best to come in to accentuate a chorus or other dynamic part. My point is that he is not at the top of my list of bass players because he doesn't sing harmonies. The audience is generally unable to discern that he is such a great bass player. What they do recognize, however, is 3 part harmonies. When we do Drift Away, the 3 part harmonies in the acapella portion absolutely gives me goosebumps. We also get a lot of compliments from other musicians in the audience on our vocals.

The reaction that the extra vocal attention gets from an audience is proof to me that, for a gigging cover band, this is "more bang for the buck" area. It makes me wonder why more players don't work to add vocals to their skill set?

Any input?

• Members

There are several possible reasons - first, some folks simply cannot sing. Others can kinda sing, but do not hear harmonies. And others can sing lines once they've learned them, but can't make them up on their own. And some have terrible sounding voices.

Still others can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so playing and singing is completely out of the question.

• Members

Firstly, I don't play in a cover band but I do sing backing vocals. Some of the songs I write just require that and besides the lead singer I'm the only one in the band who sings. I don't particularly like singing so that's why I don't sing unless I have to.

• Members

I found myself singing almost by accident. Early on I realised my band mates couldn't handle harmonies. To my surprise I found I could sing harmony quit well. But once you start there is no stopping, your not allowed. In way too many bands it's the lead singer and me, just me on harmony and the mandatory two songs per set lead so the main guy gets a rest. There's no more pay attached but as earlier posts state it makes you more desireable. I think more than a few players look at singing as a distraction from thier playing and I don't blame them. It is. It's also hard work and you worry if your voice is going to hold up. On the other hand many seem to not be faking it, they really can't sing, at least not well.

• Members

just a little to pipe in here but i agree that not everyone can sing, not leads anyway. I think that with a little practice anyone can help on harmony. I sing lead and play rythm guitar in my band. We have a girl that sings lead the other 50% or so and plays keys. We back each other. It would be nice if the rest of the band would join in on the vocals. 5 part harmony would be awesome but i think that it would take more time to get this together than we are willing to put into it right now and would in the end take away from the time that we spend working on new songs for our set. My former bass player can sing well and play well but he couldnt play his instrument and sing without one or the other suffering severely. Our new guy has only been with us for a few weeks and i really havent taken the time to ask him since we are trying to get him up to speed on everything.

• Members

True, it's not for everyone, and it is tricky but...I truly feel that most folks who can play an instrument can learn to add a backup vocal here and there.

The trick? Well, let's see a show of hands of you guitar players out there who think you're not half bad...

(a few hands go up)

Okay...now, let's see a show of hands from you guitar players out there who think you're not half bad who started playing last night...

(puzzled looks)

Bingo. If you're a halfway decent instrumentalist, you didn't get there by not practicing. So what makes you think singing is any different? Think of the best harmony bands or vocal groups you can think of through the ages...Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young...Beatles, Beach Boys, Boyz II Men, whoever. They didn't get that way by not practicing.

A couple of tricks. Get the best singer in the band with a multitrack recorder and a guitar. Have him sing his lead part...then start overdubbing harmonies. This can be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. Here's a key...HARMONY VOICES DON'T ALWAYS MOVE WITH THE LEAD. They might be a monotone. An example of a monotone harmony, "Walk Away Renee".

At any rate...work up the harmony voices on a multitrack. Then with ONE harmony part...record the acoustic guitar and lead voice, and the harmony in question. Mix the harmony louder.

Do four separate mixes...

One with the guitar, lead voice, and harmony (mixed louder)

One with only guitar and harmony voice (so you can learn it).

One with only guitar and lead voice (so you can harmonize with it)

One with lead voice and the OTHER harmony part (so you can hear the blend).

Burn 'em on CD. Carry that sucker in the car with you and sing along with it at ALL TIMES.

Then get the band together acoustically only. Drummer, that's why God invented Congas. Work on your harmonies.

Practice

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

True, it's not for everyone, and it is tricky but...I truly feel that most folks who can play an instrument can learn to add a backup vocal here and there.

The trick? Well, let's see a show of hands of you guitar players out there who think you're not half bad...

(a few hands go up)

Okay...now, let's see a show of hands from you guitar players out there who think you're not half bad who started playing
last night

(puzzled looks)

Bingo. If you're a halfway decent instrumentalist, you didn't get there by not practicing. So what makes you think singing is any different? Think of the best harmony bands or vocal groups you can think of through the ages...Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young...Beatles, Beach Boys, Boyz II Men, whoever. They didn't get that way by not practicing.

A couple of tricks. Get the best singer in the band with a multitrack recorder and a guitar. Have him sing his lead part...then start overdubbing harmonies. This can be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. Here's a key...HARMONY VOICES DON'T ALWAYS MOVE WITH THE LEAD. They might be a monotone. An example of a monotone harmony, "Walk Away Renee".

At any rate...work up the harmony voices on a multitrack. Then with ONE harmony part...record the acoustic guitar and lead voice, and the harmony in question. Mix the harmony louder.

Do four separate mixes...

One with the guitar, lead voice, and harmony (mixed louder)

One with only guitar and harmony voice (so you can learn it).

One with only guitar and lead voice (so you can harmonize with it)

One with lead voice and the OTHER harmony part (so you can hear the blend).

Burn 'em on CD. Carry that sucker in the car with you and sing along with it at ALL TIMES.

Then get the band together acoustically only. Drummer, that's why God invented Congas. Work on your harmonies.

Practice

Absolutely!

• Members

Here's a good tip for using marginal singers for back up. Let them sing what they can hear. If they can hear the fifth of the harmony, let them sing it. The guitar player from my band sings fairly well but struggles on harmony. We start with his part first and all is well. If things aren't working when we get it on stage adjustment may be necessary. Have the stronger vocalist make the change. As ever I appreciate more than just two people singing in a band. Using this approach we come up with good three part harmony and it really helps.

• Members

Actually, I'm singing more and more these days. But, my guess is comfort level and talent are the primary things keeping people from trying...I'm not sure I have more talent these days, but I'm comfortable and confidence has a lot to do with talent.

• Members

Originally posted by slugball

Actually, I'm singing more and more these days. But, my guess is comfort level and talent are the primary things keeping people from trying...I'm not sure I have more talent these days, but I'm comfortable and confidence has a lot to do with talent.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I know of only one singer who I would say is one of those "God given talents". Musically, he has no idea what he is doing but he just sings with an incredible natural tone. Everyone else I know who calls themselves a singer (myself included) has just developed enough confidence to actually just do it. From that point on, once you make up your mind, the more you do it, the better you get and the more confidence you develop. It's kind of a self fulfiliing prophecy. What I find funny, now, is that people refer to me as a singer first and a guitar player second. I've only been singing for a few years but playing guitar for 25. I'm nowhere near as good a singer as I am a guitar player. But now I've been labelled a singer and get calls to fill in for other vocalists when they can't make a gig.

• Members

I do some background stuff, but don't really have enough confidence in my voice to do lead stuff though.

After this weekend, watching pretty much every girl in the place throw herself at our singer, I believe I'm going to start.

• Members

I find lead vocals much easier than backing vocals.

I'm not a good singer, and hitting a tone perfectly three times a song is much more difficult to me, than singing the whole thing.

I happen to be slightly out of tune very often, and when I sing alone, well, it's me, you know I sing that way !.

Sometimes it's even cooler to be not 100% on it.

But sure not if you do backings. You don't have the time to slide into it.

Confidence:

There are very few people, that really can't sing at all. I think confidence is the key. You can't hide, when you sing.

I still recover from the many years I heard: "Get off the mike, you can't do it right !"

:cry:

• Members

I will never understand musicians who say they can't sing. Being a musician means learning how to listen to tone, interval, rhythm. These are exactly the same skillset needed for singing. If one is any sort of decent player, one can learn to sing.

As to those who claim to have a less than pleasing voice; I direct your attention to Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Rod Stewart, Janis Joplin, and countless others who learned to take their poor quality singing voices and turn them into millions.

In 36 years of playing, I have worked with many musicians who had never sung either lead or backup vocals. All of them eventually sang harmonies and at least one or two lead vocals. One of the tricks for harmonies for those with limited singing experience, is to teach them their harmony part not as a harmony but as the main vocal line. Don't have them learn the part while listening to other parts, only have them listen to their own part and sing it along with the music until it is so trained into them that they stay on that part in spite of others singing. This may take some time, but it is doable.

• Members

Originally posted by anonpostguy

Just a question for cover band players that don't sing. Why not?

Any input?

Hi, My name is Steve and I am a nonsinging musician.:wave:

Well actually I do sing lead on a couple but never have tried to do harmonies. The band I was in for many years was all experienced singers and so was their wifes/girlfriends. The 4-5-6- part harmonies would just layer up with such ease

I am now in a 5 piece with 6 vocal mics (one g/f sings). Saturday night the drummer forgot one of his overhead mic stands for his cymbals. At soundcheck our guitarist that runs the mixer comes back to the stage and says "We gotta have this!" and takes my vocal mic stand:mad:

• Members

This very question is probably how Kurt Cobain got started. :mad:

For the sake of all things good and holy, some people should just be left out of the singing club! :mad:

Non-singers can have a complimentary kazoo, but they ain't gettin no microphone! :mad:

• Members

My band is a six-piece. Five of us sing: male and female lead, the rest strictly harmonies. This actually leads to the problem of people sometimes doubling other's harmonies. I usually try to find an odd note (a 9, 6, or very high/low note that nobody will shoot for) or just sit out some parts.

What I'd love to do is sing lead sometime. I've only done this once in my past, and in my current band, the other singers are much better so I have no chance. I'm currently starting a side project where I'll have to sing some lead (just to build experience and confidence).

• Members

Originally posted by exploradorable

Not much demand for Baritone/Bass singers unless you wanna cover Crash Test Dummies. "Once there was this girl who...."

The price I pay for active nads.

So, if you in fact CAN sing and have a baritone or bass voice, you have two options...

1) Do the low background vocal parts.

2) CREATE a demand for a baritone or bass voice in rock. I mean, cover uncharted territory. I never could figure it out...rock and rollers have all this macho swagger, and then want to sing like Geddy Lee? Be different!

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

I will never understand musicians who say they can't sing. Being a musician means learning how to listen to tone, interval, rhythm. These are exactly the same skillset needed for singing. If one is any sort of decent player, one can learn to sing.

Fawking dead on the money.

And a new commandment was given unto them:

"If thou wouldst sing, thou shalt RECORD THYSELF".

Yeah, sure, it'll suck. And it'll let you know what to work on. And after working at it and recording yourself a bunch, you'll improve.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

So, if you in fact CAN sing and have a baritone or bass voice, you have two options...

1) Do the low background vocal parts.

2) CREATE a demand for a baritone or bass voice in rock. I mean, cover uncharted territory. I never could figure it out...rock and rollers have all this macho swagger, and then want to sing like Geddy Lee? Be different!

Amen! My voice is in the baritone/bass range and I always cringe because I can't hit the high notes. But you are right, how many Dennis Deyoungs does the world need???

Another spin on this, even those of us who *can* sing sometimes have a hard time playing at the same time.

*raises hand*

I know, I know...practice :D

• Members

My preferred vocal style doesn't fit the band I'm in right now. I'm in a shoegazy early smashing pumpkins, hum, low type rock band, and I prefer to bark and growl and stuff. I do sing backup on a song or two, but I have trouble playing bass and singing at the same time.

• Members

Because people inbars don't want to hear guys singing in a band with a good female lead singer.

That would be my excuse, but I love singing so I do backing vocals on almost all the songs that have them, and make up some on songs that don't have any (only if it sounds good). I sing lead on a couple of songs, but people do tend to ask why I bother (whole female lead thing again). The lead singer and I are the only ones in the band who are capable of unconsciously singing 1 or 2 different harmonies on most everything we do, keyboardist can do harmonies if he plans them out, and the bassist mostly just does a lower octave of the melody (or a unison...must break him of this habit) for filler...although he does randomly surprise us with a harmony. We just let the drummer do what he does and don't bother him about singing. We get some killer sounding ones on a few songs that we worked out...3 part harmony with a lower octave of the melody...psuedo 4 part I guess. By the way, a lesser quality voice is hid by staying on key in a multiple part harmony...try it sometime, we did.

Archived