Why don't you sing?

anonpostguy

• Members

I just completed an ultra intensive 8 week singing course. :D

I have beens singing a few songs with our band and thought this "three easy steps" opportunity would be worth a try for a slacker like me. (I have'nt even bothered to learn music).

Well the guy who ran the course said that everyone can sing. I feel this is debateable but I can say that I have improved 100%. Now you will need to understand where I was starting from to appreciate that my ability is still marginal at best but anyone who learns the techniques will find they will improve out of site. I saw where some people here said they tried a few times but sucked. You really cant do it that way. I can get my voice higher for longer and remain in tune so much better now.

I should really commit to ongoing lessons but as I said I am slack and our band is not pro anyway. (that was supposed to be an excuse)

• Members

I joined our church choir for a year or so - it was a huge help not only in singing in general, but in singing in parts/harmonies. It's not easy to keep from getting distracted by the lead part if you're doing the harmony - it takes practice.

Also, I think having confidence in your singing abilities is a big step towards 'being able to sing'.

• Members

This thread has convinced me to give it another try again. :cool:

Considering the small amount of practice I've put into it, I think I'm actually pretty good at singing harmonies, singing in tune and singing while playing, but the main reasons for me not to sing are

a) I do not have a pleasant voice. :(

b) I'm a bass (range D-e, pretty much the open strings on my guitar), so in most songs there are always a few notes I can't hit. :mad:

But I guess I should give it another try. Having an unpleasant voice didn't stop Billy Corgan and Axl Rose either. :freak: And you can even improve the sound a bit with practice. And I have found that even for bass, there are some possible songs, you just have to find them (not only Rammstein and Barry White, also 'normal' singers like the guy from Green Day, Rob Thomas, Eric Clapton etc. have pretty low voices.) And I already noticed you can improve your range with practice and better technique...

• Members

I can't really play and sing at the same time, though I suppose that'll come with practice. I do sing on the recordings and apparently have an okay voice (I've been told I do a good Siouxsie Sioux and Grace Slick) but I'd rather just concentrate on playing the guitar for now.

The thing I worry about is that we're all female and there's five of us. Five girls singing just makes me think "Spice Girls". NO THANKS.

• Members

Originally posted by brassic

I can't really play and sing at the same time, though I suppose that'll come with practice. I do sing on the recordings and apparently have an okay voice (I've been told I do a good Siouxsie Sioux and Grace Slick) but I'd rather just concentrate on playing the guitar for now.

The thing I worry about is that we're all female and there's five of us. Five girls singing just makes me think "Spice Girls". NO THANKS.

Grace Slick. :eek: Sing!!!! :)

I sing a couple of songs that I don

• Members

We are a 4 piece band, and the other 3 sing lead and harmonies quite well. Since changing from guitar to bass, I have found it rather difficult to sing, and play the basslines at the same time. Its a completely different timing thing. I hope to get back into singing harmonies in the near future. I always thought the vocals were the most important instrument in any band.

• Members

I have sung exactly three tunes on stage with bands. I did the "Duke Duke Duke Duke of Earl" bass line years ago. I sang House of the Risin' Sun and Honky Tonk Women. Now we've got a new trio together and while we have a great lead singer and the drummer does some harmonies and some leads, I've promised to do my best to add some harmonies and work on some leads. I'm more inclined to the old "crooner" type of music but since we're playing supper clubs, we've been working in some older standards. It's gonna take time before I'm comfortable singing. I can play rhythm guitar and sing with no real problem but I play bass with this group and I tend to sing my bass lines and often lose the harmony. We formed last Spring and had a tough time getting bookings this last year because so many clubs book a year ahead but we're starting to get bookings for gigs next year so it looks like I'm gonna have lot's of time to work on my vocals. Now if I can get these guys to let me practice in rehersals instead of just turning me loose in a live gig, we ought to be able to book 2007 too.

• Members

Originally posted by Wrave

I have sung exactly three tunes on stage with bands. I did the "Duke Duke Duke Duke of Earl" bass line years ago. I sang House of the Risin' Sun and Honky Tonk Women. Now we've got a new trio together and while we have a great lead singer and the drummer does some harmonies and some leads, I've promised to do my best to add some harmonies and work on some leads. I'm more inclined to the old "crooner" type of music but since we're playing supper clubs, we've been working in some older standards. It's gonna take time before I'm comfortable singing. I can play rhythm guitar and sing with no real problem but I play bass with this group and I tend to sing my bass lines and often lose the harmony. We formed last Spring and had a tough time getting bookings this last year because so many clubs book a year ahead but we're starting to get bookings for gigs next year so it looks like I'm gonna have lot's of time to work on my vocals. Now if I can get these guys to let me practice in rehersals instead of just turning me loose in a live gig, we ought to be able to book 2007 too.

If you havent had any formal training I cant stress how helpful it is. I am twice the singer I was which is approximately half as good as I want to be.:D

• Members

"I have one bass player that is absolutely phenomenal. He has so much feel and groove that a lot of time I actually stop playing guitar because the bass and drums are locked in so well that my guitar works best to come in to accentuate a chorus or other dynamic part."

And you don't want this guy? Does he live anywhere close to the Delaware River region? If so, please send me the name by private email. I write lyrics (primarily) and I'd gladly trade background harmonies for a tight, tasteful rhythm section that can carry a groove - any time.

Still, you do make a good point and I'm glad you brought up the topic. Now if I can only persuade my usual co-writer to alllow me to join in on harmony every now and then :-)

best,

john

Archived